• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The barbecue/grilling thread 2008

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'll be right over. I'll bring some beers (Canadian variety pack) and a sleeping bag.

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
So now you know what KU Basketball means in our household, as Ribs and Wings together are our staple food when it comes to big games. They go well together. I would also say this should be an example of what you can do inside in the winter months when you can't access the grill when it is raining and 35* outside, although it is nice to be able to crisp it up on the grill just for time and space. You just need the right kind of oven. I would say they are fall off the bone, but they abandoned the bone long before they even reached the grill and simply used it as a diving board to the sauce. :D

And the true sign that it is good is I made it to the game and didn't pass out first. Hopefully pissed a few off, and made them jealous in the process. Will post recipes and such tomorrow.

Cheers!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I'll be right over. I'll bring some beers (Canadian variety pack) and a sleeping bag.

R35
I should mention we only have my wife and I and a five pound dog that eats dry dog food. I guess you know what we will be eating all weekend, as is usually the case any time I grill, or for that matter cook Ribs and Wings.

Well, time to eat and watch the game.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Thank you. I will buy it.
Broke away from the game as they are up 26-10. As far as Rudy's, the Rub is fantastic, but if you want BBQ sauce I will give you 2 that you can buy online, and one that you can make that will simply put their sauce to shame. Again, will post the recipe tomorrow, which after that I will never buy sauce again. Although if you want to buy sauce I will give links as well.

Again, Texas BBQ gets their flavor from the Rub and the smoking. They don't give much thought to the sauce. KC gives less though to the Rub and more thought to the sauce.

Well, it is on commercial, so I will go ahead and give links to the purchased sauce.
Buy the original unless you like really spicy:
Arthur Bryant's Restaurants, Order merchandise
... again, but the original unless you like really spicy
Gates Bar B.Q. - List of Products
... although for a Rib Rub I would Say Rudy's may be second to none.

If you want a wet rub, simply take the dry rub and and add Worcestershire sauce and rub it on with your hands. The benefit of a wet rub is the flavors absorb in better, almost like a marinade.

Again, will post a free sauce recipe early tomorrow, that is dirt cheap and just as good. Actually the original may be in the old thread, but I have changed it since.

Back to the game, 38-21 KU

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I would also say this should be an example of what you can do inside in the winter months when you can't access the grill when it is raining and 35* outside, although it is nice to be able to crisp it up on the grill just for time and space. You just need the right kind of oven.

You guys are softies. I BBQ year round. I have BBQ'd in -30º weather, wearing flip flops and drinking a beer.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
You guys are softies. I BBQ year round. I have BBQ'd in -30º weather, wearing flip flops and drinking a beer.
Oh yeah. I do as well, although it is just miserable in the rain. -30 below or rain, I would take -30 below. Don't want to damage my grill with the rain. If I can grill and still be able to cover it afterwards before it becomes a frozen brick, I'm in.

I will even shovel off my grill if need be. I moved it this year as it is on the second story deck, just so I didn't have to shovel 20 feet of snow to reach my grill. :D

When I say I can't access the grill, I mean 3" of ice from the rain and need a sledgehammer at the risk of damaging the grill. :)

This brings back memories of college, with -20 temperatures and a 1 foot by 4 inch hibachi grill that I had trouble keeping lit because the briquettes would freeze. Me sitting out there with my .99 cent a six pack PBR trying to cook a .50 cent pork steak. :D

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Here is the BBQ Sauce Recipe from the thread before.
Here is the recipe for the BBQ Sauce I make, if anyone likes KC BBQ, they may like this.

1 tablespoon oil, preferably corn or canola
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 cup tomato puree
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
6 tablespoons brown sugar
6 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 to 4 teaspoons celery salt
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon corn syrup
Cayenne pepper optional, see below

In a saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until they are softened, about 5 minutes. Mix in the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, and cook the mixture until it thickens, approximately 30 minutes. Stir frequently. If the consistency is thicker than you prefer, add a little water.

I usually double the recipe and freeze it in bags of around 20 oz. I can then fill up a coke bottle with the bag, when I need it. I also add about 1/2 teaspoon (or 5 shakes) of Cayenne pepper to a doubled batch to make it a little spicier. I also prefer a little less of the brown sugar and corn syrup, and a little more Chili powder and garlic.

It is like Gates in KC, minus the Cayenne and the other changes I just mentioned.

I haven't bought BBQ sauce for myself since trying this out, where I used to bring a case back every time I went to KS. I usually buy some KC Masterpiece or something when friends come over, just in case people do not like the spice.
I have changed this a bit and now prepare a batch of 4 times (basically the Puree comes in a 29 oz can which is the main consistency and is about 3-4 times), and substitute the cider vinegar and water by using 1 cup Cider Vinegar and 1/2-2/3 cup water per batch. I also have lowered the amount of Corn Syrup and Brown Sugar slightly as I do not really care for a sweeter sauce.

Again, I make a triple to quadrupal batch now and just freeze it in ziploc freezer bags. You can then just throw it in the microwave for a short period of time and pour it in a coke or tonic bottle. Basically a triple batch cost the same or less than a dollar more than single batch as far as the ingredients are concerned.

I will post the wing sauce recipe tomorrow, as it will take a little thought to put it into proportions, as I usually just throw $#!+ together and give little thought to the ingredient quantities unless asked.

I will say, while Rudy's rub may be second to none in BBQ I have tried for Rib Rubs, their Sauce pales in comparison to KC BBQ sauce, or even my own. If you like Rudy's sauce, try this recipe and let me know what you think. While I would not personaly claim that it is as good as Bryants or Gates, as that would be an insult to KC BBQ, at about about 1/5th of the price I will never pay for sauce again. Even though we regularly visit the KC area.

To go even further, and as Eracer will attest to, Rudy's Cream Corn is likely better than their BBQ IMO. I have a recipe for that as well. :D

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Broke away from the game as they are up 26-10. As far as Rudy's, the Rub is fantastic, but if you want BBQ sauce I will give you 2 that you can buy online, and one that you can make that will simply put their sauce to shame. Again, will post the recipe tomorrow, which after that I will never buy sauce again. Although if you want to buy sauce I will give links as well.

Again, Texas BBQ gets their flavor from the Rub and the smoking. They don't give much thought to the sauce. KC gives less though to the Rub and more thought to the sauce.

Well, it is on commercial, so I will go ahead and give links to the purchased sauce.
Buy the original unless you like really spicy:
Arthur Bryant's Restaurants, Order merchandise
... again, but the original unless you like really spicy
Gates Bar B.Q. - List of Products
... although for a Rib Rub I would Say Rudy's may be second to none.

If you want a wet rub, simply take the dry rub and and add Worcestershire sauce and rub it on with your hands. The benefit of a wet rub is the flavors absorb in better, almost like a marinade.

Again, will post a free sauce recipe early tomorrow, that is dirt cheap and just as good. Actually the original may be in the old thread, but I have changed it since.

Back to the game, 38-21 KU

You are a Godsend.

Thank you for the info.

Garrett

Sep 15, 2006
Those pictures are making me hungry. Im about to bust out a steak right now at 9.55 at night and get my grill on!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Man those ribs looked amazing. Thanks for the sauce recipe PA. Please, please post that creamed corn recipe. I feel like a sinner asking for it, since I'm sure it's nothing but butter and heavy cream, but you've experienced it, so you understand.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Man those ribs looked amazing. Thanks for the sauce recipe PA. Please, please post that creamed corn recipe. I feel like a sinner asking for it, since I'm sure it's nothing but butter and heavy cream, but you've experienced it, so you understand.
Searching around the web for a while when I got back from San Antonio I found a couple recipes for the Cream Corn that were supposed to be the Rudy's recipe. They were both fairly similar and stupid easy to make, just takes a bit of cooking time which I think is the key. Kinda surprised me that you cook it for 4-6 hours. I took the one that seemed like it would be closest, and I believe the guy said he got it from someone at Rudy's??? I think the other called for cream instead of milk and not as much butter or Cream Cheese, so you could toy around with it. Although I also heard they do not add cream cheese from another, but that's hard to believe. It did come out pretty close, definitely close enough for home use in not having to have a 5 gallon jug shipped to your home to freeze. :D I wish I had thought of it when I went to the store, but may likely go out and get the stuff to make it today. Actually though, you were correct about the corn, and my wife and I thought it was the best part of Rudy's. While their BBQ was great, we are more sauce people with it comes to BBQ and we were not impressed with their sauce.

Anyways, here is the recipe, which I believed I double this when I made it because we had people over. If I get a chance to make it today I will get a picture.

1 pound frozen corn
1 package cream cheese -- (8 oz. each) cut in cubes
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- melted
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 teaspoon. salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Spread corn over bottom of 3 1/2-4 quart slow cooker. Top with cream cheese cubes.

Mix remaining ingredients; pour over corn and cream cheese.

Cook on High for 2 to 4 hours, or on Low for 4 to 6 hours.

I didn't open the pot until it was done, then just stirred it around a bit in the end.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Superb. Thanks. I'm a dry rub rib man myself (although you may convert me with ribs like you made...) I liked the brisket and the ribs at Rudy's. Nice and smoky. Didn't use much sauce as I remember. But yeah, the creamed corn was the "Holy $hit" moment at that place...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Superb. Thanks. I'm a dry rub rib man myself (although you may convert me with ribs like you made...)
When I smoke food for a length of time I use a dry rub, as the flavor of the Hickory is the key to the flavor for me, as opposed to the flavor of the Rub, and I don't want the Worcestershire to block the Hickory from penetrating the meat all the way to the bone. When I cook them over the grill or at a higher temperature, I started using a wet rub a short time ago because it give you a little more flavor from the Rub to make up for the Smoke IMO. Plus, you don't have to worry about the wet rub blocking the smoke from penetrating the meat. Actually, I also get the wet rub on there, then sprinkle a bunch more on. Just a matter of preference, and likely one of the biggest debates in BBQ. For me unless the meat has a hickory smoked flavor, I usually like the flavor of the Rubs and sauces as much if not more than the flavor of the meat. Where if I smoke food I use alot less sauce as well, which is still likely use alot more than most, but not enough to block the flavor of the hickory smoke flavor.

Kinda like a steak, where unless I do something different in my grilling, I still gotta have my A-1 to compliment the flavor. I just picked up a Jerk Ribeye Recipe off the Food channel this week from a show they had, the "Throwdown" with Bobby Flay. The guy he challenged was from Jamaica and has a restaurant in Mt. Vernon, NY. You could see it in Flay's face when he tried the Guy's Ribeye that he knew he was about to get his @$$ handed to him. May have to try it next. It looked good.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
But yeah, the creamed corn was the "Holy $hit" moment at that place...
Make no mistake about it, this is entirely your fault. Had you not mentioned it when we went to San Antonio, while we already had Rudy's on the list, we would have never tried the cream corn, as I would of said "Corn, why would I want that with BBQ?". Which was kind of my expression when you told me, but figured, he seemed to have O.K taste in the past. By ordering it, I'll only be out a buck or two for a bowl of corn. Then it is again your fault for asking about it today, and forcing me to think about it and in turn making a trip to the store. So for your punishment......

Meanwhile, everyone else who has not had cream corn at Rudy's is going "Whoopty do, it's a frickin' pot of corn?" while you are likely drooling on your keyboard. :laugh:

Only 4-6 hours to go and for you to think about your mistake. Meanwhile, I should lay down odds that before the 6 hours is up you will likely have gone to the store and started your own batch, I would make a killing as they would be like "There can't be two people on this forum deluded enough to hop in the car and go to the store just to buy corn. Let alone spending 6 hours to cook a pot of corn, besides the Jayhawk guy has always been a little nuts and just finally tipped over the edge". ...and you would be sitting there around midnight passed out on the couch with a bowl in your lap and corn dripping out the side of your mouth, with a look on your face of "MMMMM Cooorrrrrrnn". :D

🔥 Latest posts