• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The barbecue/grilling thread 2008

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
The mustard is German Spicy Brown Beer mustard. Don't know what to say about the K-work. I have always been funny in the sense that I am not a big fan of Sauerkraut, I have to use red hot or a little ketchup. Without Sauerkraut, I only use German Mustard for any kind of braut, dog, or Hot italian sausage. Weird, I know, but that's how it goes. The second was only a braut with onion cheese and mustard.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I hadn't thought of that. For a minute there I thought maybe he had put the "K-word" on it, which would have been grounds for removal from the Man Club.

The sliced cheese from individual plastic wrapping hiding under the Brat is also grounds for expulsion from the club. And definitely ground for deportation from the state of Wisconsin if caught.... :hunter:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The sliced cheese from individual plastic wrapping hiding under the Brat is also grounds for expulsion from the club. And definitely ground for deportation from the state of Wisconsin if caught.... :hunter:
You call that stuff cheese?

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
You call that stuff cheese?

I worked at a large dairy one summer while in college. I've seen how that stuff in manufactured. It is cheese.... lots of different kinds mixed together. The hot dog of cheese, if you will.

To get back on topic, I'm grilling tomorrow. Cheeseburgers for the kids. Just some Salt and Pepper on some Ground Chuck, and some real cheddar for the top, and Brats for me and the wife. Spicy Brown Mustard (Cleveland Stadium Mustard is my favorite) and some dill relish.

Add a Carlsberg Beer and my mouth and you are done.

Repeat if necessary.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
My BBQ was a massive success.

Made back ribs. I used a rub on them and then placed them in the BBQ. One burner on, wood chips smoking over the lit burner, the ribs were placed over the remaining unlit burners. The BBQ temp was 200*, I cooked the ribs this way for 4 hours. The last 10 minutes they got sauce and flame. They were perfect, juicy, succulent and you could pull the bones out clean with your fingers.

The cream corn was also a smashing hit. Next time I eat it though I will be sitting on the steps of the emergency ward just in case. Talk about rich, and worse for you that eating a bar of lead. Extremely delicious however.

Massive ceaser salad rounded out the meal.

Thanks for the great recipes PA.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I made a batch of PA's sauce last weekend its pretty good on some bbq chicken. The wife made some pull pork yesterday and I mixed it with some of the sauce and made some sandwiches that is definately some good stuff. I like to tinker with food so I will mess with the recipe a bit to see if it can be made even better.....will be a tough task.

Jason

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
I have a question for the steak experts here.

When I am grilling a steak, is it okay to grill it with the top open? I always grill with the top down, and I don't know. I take it up to high heat, then slap the steak down and close the lid.

Does it matter?

Thanks.

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Never mind.

I just grilled a great steak with the cover open, and it was far superior. I don't know why, but it is grill open, on steaks from now on; probably hamburgers, chicken and anything else that needs to be cooked under 30 minutes.

I would appreciate any opinions on this too, but this steak was amazing.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Never mind.

I just grilled a great steak with the cover open, and it was far superior. I don't know why, but it is grill open, on steaks from now on; probably hamburgers, chicken and anything else that needs to be cooked under 30 minutes.

I would appreciate any opinions on this too, but this steak was amazing.
My opinion is this:

Cooking the perfect steak requires three steps - searing, roasting, and resting (marinating is optional.) The searing is done over a direct high heat for 1-2 minutes per side. Then the meat is cooked over indirect high heat (450º) for 2-5 minutes per side per inch (depending on level of doneness). Then the meat is rested 3-5 minutes, off heat, to distribute the juices and finish the cooking.

This method works best using a cast iron pan and a stove/oven, but I suppose it could be adapted to a grill. Sear over direct flame, then move steak to the unlit side of the grill, close the cover, and crank the lit side up.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Lots of kids (to play Guitar Hero) and family (to annoy the sh1t out of me) will be over today for our son's 12th birthday party.

I'll be grilling simple... Burgers, Dogs, and Chicken Breasts. Looking forward to the chicken (as they will be the first naked breasts I've handled in a while) and I will be saucing at least half of them with my favorite sauce.

Syberg's Wing Sauce, from St. Louis Missouri. My family has been friends with the Syberg's for a few generations, and their world famous wing sauce (a unique take on Buffalo sauce, with a bit of a mustard base) is great on any piece of chicken, not just a wing.

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
This method works best using a cast iron pan and a stove/oven, but I suppose it could be adapted to a grill. Sear over direct flame, then move steak to the unlit side of the grill, close the cover, and crank the lit side up.

Your comments beg the question:

Have you grilled a steak before on an outdoor grill/barbecue?

(honestly wondering)

Edited: Oops, I misread your post. So you do sear over direct flame? I am listening here; please continue...

🔥 Latest posts