• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The barbecue/grilling thread 2008

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Check out my bar-be-cue. Did this baby myself friday afternoon.
Lightly seared, not sure about the taste though. 445º extrusion dies will cook your ass real fast.
100_0640.jpg

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I agree with Eracer...Sear, cook n warm is the best way...and incidentally, when doing burgers? Make them into patties first...freeze them and the cook them frozen....takes about a minute longer but seals the juices in....

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Are there really steak advocates that claim that indoor cooking in an iron pan is superior?

Don't you lose the flavor of the melted fat as it burns on the grill and smokes back up and infuses the steak on a grill? Also, doesn't grilling have a lot less fat in it since some of it drips off and goes away?

I really don't believe that cooking on a stove is superior.

That is just my opinion,

spank

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
My opinion is this:

Cooking the perfect steak requires three steps - searing, roasting, and resting (marinating is optional.) The searing is done over a direct high heat for 1-2 minutes per side. Then the meat is cooked over indirect high heat (450º) for 2-5 minutes per side per inch (depending on level of doneness). Then the meat is rested 3-5 minutes, off heat, to distribute the juices and finish the cooking.

This method works best using a cast iron pan and a stove/oven, but I suppose it could be adapted to a grill. Sear over direct flame, then move steak to the unlit side of the grill, close the cover, and crank the lit side up.

Eracer..when you say off heat..do you mean turning oven off or remove from heat completely?

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Coleslaw, fries, and smoked shrimp make a nice snack after finishing a round of golf.:thumbs up:

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000460.jpg

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Are there really steak advocates that claim that indoor cooking in an iron pan is superior?

Don't you lose the flavor of the melted fat as it burns on the grill and smokes back up and infuses the steak on a grill? Also, doesn't grilling have a lot less fat in it since some of it drips off and goes away?

I really don't believe that cooking on a stove is superior.

That is just my opinion,

spank
I do believe that there are taste benefits to cooking on a charcoal grill - if you like the taste of charcoal. A hot cast iron pan creates a very nice crust and flavor. As for fat content - it's just not part of the equation when I eat steak. Besides, the carcinogenic Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH) formed during the grilling process offset the heart-attack inducing fats retained by the indoor method.

Eracer..when you say off heat..do you mean turning oven off or remove from heat completely?
Remove from heat completely, tent with aluminum foil if desired.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
My opinion is this:

Cooking the perfect steak requires three steps - searing, roasting, and resting (marinating is optional.) The searing is done over a direct high heat for 1-2 minutes per side. Then the meat is cooked over indirect high heat (450º) for 2-5 minutes per side per inch (depending on level of doneness). Then the meat is rested 3-5 minutes, off heat, to distribute the juices and finish the cooking.

This method works best using a cast iron pan and a stove/oven, but I suppose it could be adapted to a grill. Sear over direct flame, then move steak to the unlit side of the grill, close the cover, and crank the lit side up.

Yes, this is exactly how I was taught to do it. I do in fact use the second method on the grill. For are I use 1 minute over the flame per side, then 3 per side indirect. The only thing I do different is I brush the steak with melted butter when I put on the indirect side. I never marinade a good steak. Waste of a good cut imo.

With any cut of meat either grilled or roasted you should wait 5 minutes before cutting into it. Resting is one the most overlooked yet important aspects of cooking good meat.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I do believe that there are taste benefits to cooking on a charcoal grill - if you like the taste of charcoal. A hot cast iron pan creates a very nice crust and flavor. As for fat content - it's just not part of the equation when I eat steak. Besides, the carcinogenic Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH) formed during the grilling process offset the heart-attack inducing fats retained by the indoor method.quote]

Pretty tough to get one over on Eracer.

The resting of the meat is something I haven't done but am going to try..

What cuts do you guys like?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Coleslaw, fries, and smoked shrimp make a nice snack after finishing a round of golf.:thumbs up:
Looks great, what kind of sauce is on the shrimp. Looks almost cajun. Recipe if it is your own and you don't mind, or type if it is any other.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Lyle I favor Ribeye...It has been awhile since I tasted a T bone. Making my mouth water.

Kona

May 14, 2007
Weber

just got a Weber grill...

so easy compared to charcoal, i have to admit.

Eel River grass-fed organic rib-eyes, yellow corn, whole vine-riped tomatos, and red onions... all grilled to perfection

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
just got a Weber grill...

so easy compared to charcoal, i have to admit.

Eel River grass-fed organic rib-eyes, yellow corn, whole vine-riped tomatos, and red onions... all grilled to perfection
Where's the pics? Get with the program, Kona.
icon12.gif

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Yeah, this is probably not the best for a BBQ/Grilling thread, but this thread has been dead to long and going into the summer we need new ideas and pictures.

Been away from the Philly area for about 5 years, and been craving a good Cheesesteak since we haven't had one down there in almost a year. Yeah, I know the meat is sliced after grilling, which just isn't right, but I didn't have a good cleaver handy since I never usually cook my own. But it still beats the crap out of Steak'um. :p

🔥 Latest posts