• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The barbecue/grilling thread 2008

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Eracer, I'll PM you the whole works.. I have to remember it, as I never measure, and just grab and go. I have a knack for cooking on the grill, especially the BGE.

I've baked a damn cake on the thing before.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
There's a famous rib place in Cincinnati I went to once. They sell the meat and sauce on the internet too. Can't remember the name but those were the finest ribs I've ever had. Huge place where all the famous Cincinnati celbs go to. :)

Montgomery Inn is the place in Cincinnati... right on the river.

http://www.montgomeryinn.com/

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
WOW, Lyle. How was it?

Excellent! Ribs were dry rub marinated and let sit for 4 hours, then they spent 2 hours in a low heat smoker with hickory chips, then they were wrapped in foil and baked at 250* for 4 hours, then 20 mins on a hot grill getting sauced.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Excellent! Ribs were dry rub marinated and let sit for 4 hours, then they spent 2 hours in a low heat smoker with hickory chips, then they were wrapped in foil and baked at 250* for 4 hours, then 20 mins on a hot grill getting sauced.

Wow, thats tons of work....

Venison backstrap 7 minutes each side, medium rare, nice and juicy

mmmmmmm yummy

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Next time I'm there, while you're doing this...
I'll be doing this...
getting sauced.
:D

Sounds really good, Lyle!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Yummy!!!! I could go for real good ribs right now. Had some St Louis style last week from Smoky John's, a joint here on the east side of Madison. Best I have had so far were from the House of Embers up in the Dells, fantastic tasting & oh so tender.

I don't have the patience to make my own.

I don't like Smoky John's. I tried the bbq'd turkey, was pathetic. Lunch meat turkey with sauce on it. WTF? I was thinking it would be an actual slow cooked piece of turkey.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eracer, I'll PM you the whole works.. I have to remember it, as I never measure, and just grab and go. I have a knack for cooking on the grill, especially the BGE.

I've baked a damn cake on the thing before.
You are the MAN!

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
no grilling expert and this was a WHILE BACK, but someones cookout i went to, they cooked lasagna on the grille, they made like a dish out of tinfoil all the way around it, and cooked it, lol. However the only thing i didnt liek it, was every bite tasted like smoke...not sure if thats always the case or they did somethin wrong, hehe

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I don't like Smoky John's. I tried the bbq'd turkey, was pathetic. Lunch meat turkey with sauce on it. WTF? I was thinking it would be an actual slow cooked piece of turkey.

I think that name may be common. This is a small local joint that I believe is the only restaurant these people own. It's a tiny sorta run down place.

here's their website http://smokyjons.com/ so far I have had the st louis ribs, brisket sandwich, garlic mashed potatoes, fries, & the pulled pork sandwich. All have been excellent, would have liked a little more meat in the brisket sandwich but the pork one was stuffed full.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I think that name may be common. This is a small local joint that I believe is the only restaurant these people own. It's a tiny sorta run down place.

here's their website http://smokyjons.com/ so far I have had the st louis ribs, brisket sandwich, garlic mashed potatoes, fries, & the pulled pork sandwich. All have been excellent, would have liked a little more meat in the brisket sandwich but the pork one was stuffed full.

Nope, that's the place. The pulled pork sandwich was superb, but the turkey was really lacking IMO.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I figure the course up within 45 minutes are supposed to open tomorrow, so what better way to celebrate. Decided to kick on the smoker. We will not even be eating any of this tonight and it kills me, as we are going to a happy hour. But it will keep me from cooking this weekend. Used a combination of 2/3 Hickory, 1/3 Mesquite. Figured why not try something new. Last time I did Apple. Smoked a Brisket, 8 skinless chicken thighs that I will touch up on the grill with my BBQ sauce, 6 Hot Italian Sausage (my staple smoker food and still have some in the freezer from the last time so only did 6), and 4 Ham Hocks to freeze and use at a later time in soups, stews, Gumbo, and such.

Also made my staple Baked Beans, and a Pasta Salad with Spinach, Black and Green Olives, Feta and Blue cheese, Fresh herbs, Olive Oil, various italian seasons, Onion, garlic, Green pepper, and mulitple types of Vinegar and wine with Wheat Rotini. Just threw the pasta salad together, will see how it works.

Ahhhh, life is getting better, just got a call from our friends while I was attaching the pictures saying the Happy Hour is packed, so they will be coming over soon. Will be feasting after all.

Gotta Go... will post more later or tomorrow.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I almost bought that smoker. I found a price mistake on Amazon from a retailer who had them for $24.99. :)

I figured it wouldn't have been honored, and I have a Big Green Egg anyways.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
That brisket is looking mighty damn tasty! Will you marry me? How's about adoption?:p

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
This thread is relevant to my current interests...

This last weekend I smoked a Meatloaf, 8lb pork butt, and a full rack of spare ribs. All were delicious.

Meatloaf was my Mother's recipe dusted with Creole seasoning on top. Smoked 3 hours with hickory at 275º to an internal of about 165º. Absolutely delicious. Really put a whole different spin on meatloaf.

Pork butt and ribs were coated with a rub of fresh ground black pepper, coarse kosher salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika for color, and some cayenne. Pork butt went in at 6am, mixed hickory and apple wood for smoke. Wrapped it up at an internal of about 160º, which was right about the time I put the ribs on. Ribs go 3 hours smoke, 2 hours wrapped, and were supposed to go another hour unwrapped for glaze...but they were already fall off the bone tender after the wrap so I skipped the last hour. I think my temps were a lot higher than the temp gauge was reading...both the butt and the ribs were done long before I expected them to be done even though the gauge was reading about 50º below my target pretty much the whole day. Winds were constant 20mph gusting up to 30...so it was a real pain.

Either way, both were delicious although the ribs did have a bit of an overcooked texture to them. Flavor was great.

This weekend I believe I'm going to be taking my smoker down to my uncles house to watch the final round of the US open and we'll have some ribs on the smoker for sure. Maybe even some brats or pork belly burnt ends.

🔥 Latest posts