• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

the BBQ/grilling thread

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
let's see what you got guys. when summer's here, it's pretty much all we have. put a fire in front of me and a beer, and i'm BBQ Man, roaster of flesh! usually it's a burger or a dog, but on the weekends, anything goes:

bbqsalmon.jpg

burgers.jpg

bbq1.jpg

bbq2.jpg

bbq3.jpg

tbone.jpg

bigribs.jpg

ribs.jpg

flatrib.jpg

flatrib2.jpg

flatrib3.jpg

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
Very nice. I too am a bbq nut. I mostly do steaks, we have access to some great cuts for a decent price around these parts. Question about the second to last pic, is that blue cheese on the tomatos/onions?

john

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Steaks and bb ribs. And of course hamburgers and brats. About twice a week we cook on the grill. I'd like to see some vegans see those pics and not want a bite!

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
hey, if we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
Gas? thats just cooking outside.

Grilling requires wood as a fuel source.

grilling is cooking directly over a fire. i have a wood chip pot cast into the side my bbq though, just for a bit of flavour if i wanted to.

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
charcoal is better, but a lot more work.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Some pretty good lookin eats there. Might inspire me to fire up the grill or smoker this weekend.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Wood is required for "real" grilling. Just my opinion.

I have a super large grill, with side burners and a gas side, and I also have a huge charcoal grill with a side smoker box. Generally, if I'm doing some lowly chicken breasts, or some quick brats or something, I might just fire the gas up and get it done and run.

If it's a quality cut, or something I've put the time in marinating or brining, or rubbing down. It's going over some hot wood, no questions.

I'm a grilling fanatic though. Will grill year-round. Mostly we just get some strips, or some filets cut and do those. I'll cook everything in the grill but the salads. I'll bake my potatoes in the grill, grill some garlic breads, or cook something else in a fiery cast iron skillet IN the charcoal.

I'll do fajitas and marinate strip steaks, and put them directly ON the lump charcoal. I'll fire roast the tomatoes and peppers and onions and make a smokey salsa to go with it.. Hot damn it's good.

For the most part, I'm a wanna-be Pit Master. I do alot of smoking and low and slow cooks. My ribs will cook around 4-5 hours. Just a good secret Texas Rub I do, and let them smoke and cook real low, with some apple and hickory. They'll be so damn good, and so tender, I have to use my long tongs up under them to get them off the grill as they'll fall apart pulling them out. No sauce on them too.. masks the love. ;)

I'll do pork shoulders, and let those go overnight for around 12-14 hours. Smoke them for half the time, and wrap them to continue. So tender it pulls completely apart by hand.

Brisket is another favorite, but takes some know how. Longer cook time, and a helluva tougher piece of meat. She doesn't like to eat brisket much, so I rarely cook it, but I enjoy the process alot.

Enjoy getting a huge chicken/hen.. Tossing a beer in her ass, and putting her on the smoker for 4 hours or so.. She'll be drunk and smokier than a bar, just the kind I like to bring to the table. ;)

No briquettes around my house, that crap is nasty. No lighter fluid, just a plain jane charcoal chimney to start it all up. Let it get hot, and I can cook all evening on it. Shrimp and veggies, and steaks and chicken. Normally I use Apple and Hickory to smoke. Will mix it up and do some cherry with some chickens and pork.. Mesquite is decent for a short smoke, and something that will get a sweeter finish/glaze/sauce. It's pretty powerful for those long smokes, and will leave a bitter taste in the mouth for those no used to alot of smoked meats.

Been thinking about smoking something this weekend. Did some massive filets last night with potatoes.. Thinking marinated chicken tonight... Might find something to smoke out this evening and eat tomorrow.... Maybe a pork loin wrapped in bacon, smoked with hickory?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Actually Fat, you should try grilling the salad. Get some Romaine, and split it in half length-wise. Lightly brush it with some olive oil and sprinkle on some fresh grated parmesan. Throw it on a medium flame, 350 at the most. A couple minutes a side, and your good to go. It gives the lettuce this great smokey flavor.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Some pretty good lookin eats there. Might inspire me to fire up the grill or smoker this weekend.

ejdahl21
This weekend? When you used to live next to us you cooked EVERY meal on the grill. And we had to smell that aroma while we ate our tuna casserole...

For everyone's information ejdahl21 is one of the true experts (that I know) in regard to grilling. You should see his grilling setup. Sounds like FATCITY is in the same category.

OP
N.V.M.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
looky what i won at the company tourney yesterday.
prizes.jpg

🔥 Latest posts