• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The BEER thread

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I figured since the ignorance thread has turned, ( and I have had a few) that we could start a thread entirely devoted to beer, the solution to, and cause of all of life's problems.

What do you like? Why?

What don't you like? Why?

I like Guinness, especially with red meat. My current favorite is Creemore springs, and nice rich Ontario beer. I also like Stella when I am out and it is the best import they have. Not a big fan of the Heineken's (SP), the Molson's etc, just to drab and flavorless for me.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I really like Guiness, Heineken, Fat Tire, and most of all, Honey Brown.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
Guinness is good, especially with a good stew or red meat & potatoes. I don't really care for Guinness when it's overly hot outside. Don't get me wrong--I'll drink it--but given a choice, I'll have something else.

Smithwick's (brewed by the people at Guinness) is good for a year-round beer, with most kinds of food.

I like a couple of the Capitol Brewery beers (a brewery in Madison that distributes to most of Wisconsin). Wisconsin Amber and Island Wheat are good.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
All great beers, When I lived in Texas I loved Shiner Bock.

Bock is the best American Beer I have drank.

I like the new Red Amber Ale from Alexander Keiths. Only cuz they're cheap and I can drink a ton of 'em.

Big Rock Traditional is my favorite, I guess. Heneiken, on a lake fishing for Walleye, out of a can only. That's a close second.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Switchback Ale - which unless you are from VT you've never heard of, since it is only available on tap and as far as I know only poured in restaurants/bars in this state.

I am searching for an unflitered bottled beer that would be similar. Local experts are suggesting I try the Hefeweizen from Long Trail Brewing Co. - A Taste of Vermont which is a major (micro) player in VT. If you're from New England you've probably heard of them and Magic Hat as the VT brewmasters.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I like the new Red Amber Ale from Alexander Keiths. Only cuz they're cheap and I can drink a ton of 'em.

R35

Growing up in NS I drank my fair share of Keiths. The red is a nice change of pace (although still a little too light) Dark beer or anything that has any wheaty/hoppy flavor is pretty much non existant on the east coat. They love their lagers.

I always thought Keiths was an IPA but it isn't really... not compared to the IPA's you find here and in Ontario.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Before my fake ID got taken into the possession of the Orange County Sherrifs Department, I was working my way down the list at the little resturant that has 99 bottles of beer in house. I was really starting to like Morretti, New Castle Brown Ale, and the old classic Yeingling.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Before my fake ID got taken into the possession of the Orange County Sherrifs Department, I was working my way down the list at the little resturant that has 99 bottles of beer in house. I was really starting to like Morretti, New Castle Brown Ale, and the old classic Yeingling.

New Castle is always a favorite.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
New Castle is good. Guinness drought is the bitterest crap I've ever had. Yuk. Bodington's Pub Ale is great. And Liney's Honey Weiss (or something) is good. :)

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Anyone ever noticed that Miller Lite cans perfectly match Graf Blue shafts?

<----

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Good stuff so far......

I'm a soccer nut, and go to a few local pubs owned by Brits and drink up, often rather early in the day, when watching a big match. I find myself partial to a lot of them...

British Beers

Tetley's
Old Speckled Hen
Guinness (try Murphys Irish Stout if you want a very similar beer that most find more drinkable)
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Harp (Irish Lager)
Bass (Pale Ale)
Black and Tan.... mmmmmmm but I ususally order a "half and half" which is a Black and Tan made with Guinness and HARP, not Guinness and Bass.
Carllsberg. Danish, not British, but if you've ever watched Liverpool Football Club, you know why I listed it here.
Pretty much any other Pale Ale, my favorite style by far.
Boddingtons

Other Euro's

Nearly everything Belgian, espeicially the White Ales.
Warsteiner - German, and very good. High on flavor, yet nice and dry on the finish.
Tubog - Danish Ale, but hard to find.

American

Sam Adams Pale Ale, the bset American beer, imo.
Most other Sam Adams Seasonals and Specialty Brews
Budweiser on draft
Rolling Rock (back in my college days, I became hooked on this one)
Michelob has an interesting Holiday Sampler pack, with four new Michelob varieties. A Pale Ale, a Bock, tow others I can't recall. I'm tasting them soon.
At least once per year I buy a 12 pack of Busch in CANS. I know, I know, it does not fit with my list. But there is something soothing, and great, about drinking a cheap, cold beer, out of a can, after mowing the lawn, etc.

I grew up in St. Louis, and worked in Sports Marketing for Anheuser Busch, so I can say I'm partial to their products.

I abhor Coors Light, and most Miller stuff out of principal alone.

Local

Upland Brewery, located in Bloomington, Indiana, makes a great, you guessed it.... PALE ALE.

Bells Brewery, Kalamazoo, Michigan make TONS of good stuff.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I love Guinness but I wont drink it outside Ireland. I have mainly been drinking Heineken over the past few months as well. Though when I'm out in a club or bar I do enjoy ice cold San Miguel though only the Spanish import not the crap from the Philippines. I love beer and have tried a lot of beers on the market especially premium lagers such as becks and Stella though I have found Stella to give the worst hang overs!

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Good stuff so far......

I'm a soccer nut, and go to a few local pubs owned by Brits and drink up, often rather early in the day, when watching a big match. I find myself partial to a lot of them...

British Beers

Tetley's
Old Speckled Hen
Guinness (try Murphys Irish Stout if you want a very similar beer that most find more drinkable)
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Harp (Irish Lager)
Bass (Pale Ale)
Black and Tan.... mmmmmmm but I ususally order a "half and half" which is a Black and Tan made with Guinness and HARP, not Guinness and Bass.
Carllsberg. Danish, not British, but if you've ever watched Liverpool Football Club, you know why I listed it here.
Pretty much any other Pale Ale, my favorite style by far.
Boddingtons

Other Euro's

Nearly everything Belgian, espeicially the White Ales.
Warsteiner - German, and very good. High on flavor, yet nice and dry on the finish.
Tubog - Danish Ale, but hard to find.

American

Sam Adams Pale Ale, the bset American beer, imo.
Most other Sam Adams Seasonals and Specialty Brews
Budweiser on draft
Rolling Rock (back in my college days, I became hooked on this one)
Michelob has an interesting Holiday Sampler pack, with four new Michelob varieties. A Pale Ale, a Bock, tow others I can't recall. I'm tasting them soon.
At least once per year I buy a 12 pack of Busch in CANS. I know, I know, it does not fit with my list. But there is something soothing, and great, about drinking a cheap, cold beer, out of a can, after mowing the lawn, etc.

I grew up in St. Louis, and worked in Sports Marketing for Anheuser Busch, so I can say I'm partial to their products.

I abhor Coors Light, and most Miller stuff out of principal alone.

Local

Upland Brewery, located in Bloomington, Indiana, makes a great, you guessed it.... PALE ALE.

Bells Brewery, Kalamazoo, Michigan make TONS of good stuff.

A very nice list of beers. Harp is another great lager right from my country and Carlsberg is one of my old favorites.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
Moose Drool on tap and Schlafly pale ales. Moose Drool is from Montana and Schlafly is from St. Louis.

I avoid budweiser products like the plague.

Imports - I like black and tans or either beer by itself!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.