• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The BEER thread

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Picked up a 4 pack of Boddington's pub ale last night, bought 2 more 4 packs today. What a tasty beer. Rich like a Guinness, yet not as bitter with a distinct caramel taste. I like this a lot.

Yup, once you try it, other beers will never be the same. Purely fantastic.

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
awww.dkimages.com_discover_previews_795_425599.JPG

Red Tail Ale is probably close to some of the best. Well, actually, it is the best, in my opinion...

The bastards even have one at over 9 percent alcohol content, but that is a bit sweet to me...

Mendocino Brewing Company - Red Tail Ale

warbird: have you tried this yet? They are in my neck of the woods. :laugh:

For that matter, has anyone here tried it?

By the way, I visited Portland, Oregon about 12 years ago, and they have absolutely fantastic beers, as well... probably close to some of the best.

I have also made my own beer several times from scratch, and there is nothing like it; I suggest making your own beer. It is really fun. If you combine the word muscle with the word ale, you would see the name of my first beer batch; even had stickers on it...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If I'm drinking on the links, it's either Miller Lite or Michalob Ultra, if I'm watching football on TV it's Red Stripe. Personally I'd prefer a cocktail, Crown on the rocks or a good single malt scotch, but I tend to lose to many balls if I drink them on the course, :ugly25:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Spank,

Normally I haven't liked "red" beers but if I see it around here I'll grab some. Best new one I've tried is Newcastle. And I love Boddington's Pub Ale.

:D

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
For those of you that have discovered Boddington's... if you like it, try going a step farther, to TETLEY'S.

Same 4 pack, ping pong ball draught can... but a bit more on the flavor imo. It is also a bit dryer, and a little more "hoppier."

I'm craving some right now.....

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I could develop quite a list here...

Corona
Heineken
Becks
Moosehead
Stella Artois
Hoegaarden
Pilsener Urquell
James Boag's
Samuel Adams
Steinlager
Carlsberg
Grolsch
Tuborg
Nastro Azzuro
Haagen
James Squire
Dab
Bitburger
Beez Neez

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. Consider myself to be a bit of a connoisseur.
As a general rule the US has the worst tasting beer in the world IMHO. Sorry guys.
Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic and Denmark have the best and have had quite a few Canadian surprises aswell.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
For those of you that have discovered Boddington's... if you like it, try going a step farther, to TETLEY'S.

Same 4 pack, ping pong ball draught can... but a bit more on the flavor imo. It is also a bit dryer, and a little more "hoppier."

I'm craving some right now.....

Tried it, didn't like it. It was sitting next to the Boddington's one day on a trip to the store. Only one four pack of Boddingtons, needed 8, so I bought the Tetley's. IMHO, it was too bitter. In a side by side taste comparison, Boddington's was the superior beer to my palate.

Its getting rather cold down here in Florida this week so it may be time for some Guniness. :laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Tried it, didn't like it. It was sitting next to the Boddington's one day on a trip to the store. Only one four pack of Boddingtons, needed 8, so I bought the Tetley's. IMHO, it was too bitter. In a side by side taste comparison, Boddington's was the superior beer to my palate.

Its getting rather cold down here in Florida this week so it may be time for some Guniness. :laugh:
Thinking about beer at 7:00am again?

I like it.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007

Tetley's is on the bitter side... agreed. You'll never find anyone trading a Coors Light in for a Tetley's that's for sure.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Tetley's is on the bitter side... agreed. You'll never find anyone trading a Coors Light in for a Tetley's that's for sure.

Maybe with the right food pairring Tetley's would be OK, but after the side by side tasting next to Boddingtons, I would be hard pressed to buy it again. Coors lights is great if your just trying to hydrate yourself. Tastes about the same as tap water. :laugh:

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
mmmmmmmm beer.......on the course I prefer Newcastle and it seems to go down really good with some BBQ also.

Favorite...Sam Adams Boston Lager, best US beer on the market
I also like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Flying Dog Tire Bite

Some good local stuff out of Charleston (SC) is Palmetto Pale Ale

If any of you are ever in Columbia, SC you must eat and drink at The Hunter Gatherer near the state house. It is a micro brewery and they make an ESB that is unbelievable, they sometimes have specialties, one in particular we call the Old Dirty Bastard is a very very dark selection, that goes down oh so smooth.

Jason

I forgot one of my most favorite beers......out of Atlanta, GA......A local brewery called Sweetwater has a beer called 420 Pale Ale it is awesome from the tap. Some others they have GA Brown and Hummer (white ale) are good also.

🔥 Latest posts