• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The BEER thread

Hitman

Apr 8, 2007
Nothing Beats German Beer at Oktoberfest

ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b150_Hitman065_Oktoberfest_Oktoberfest2007016.jpg

Or a nice cold Heineken at the Heineken Museum in Amsterdam

ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b150_Hitman065_Amsterdam_Amsterdam023.jpg

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Guiness Stout on most days.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Summerfest, Winterfest(?), and Porter, Bigfoot too (Hell, I went to Chico State, same town this beer is made... its on tap at all the bars, and its quite cheap too)

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I would drink ANY lagers, to be honest. Not really a fan of the heavier beer-type drinks, really.

Personal favs of mine are Kronemberg, Budweiser, Budvar, Pilsner Urquell & Staropramen, although as I say I will often drink the likes of Coors Light, Tennants and Harp. Stella (Wifebeater :D) is a drink and a half. Used to cane this stuff years ago. Definately gets you a different 'drunk' and knocking back 10 or 12 of those and not getting yourself into bother is no easy task :laugh:

Have 48 Kronemberg sitting in my pantry and would urge you guys to try it, as well as any of the Czech stuff such as Pilsner Urquell, etc. Great, great stuff..:)

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread 'til just now.

My all-time all-around favorite is Pete's Wicked Rally Cap Ale (used to be called Summer Ale). It is crisp, with a hint of lemon, and just an awesome beer for summertime post-golf or post-softball consumption.

In the wintertime, I really like a good bitter beer. Fuller's Extra Special Bitter is excellent. When I was at Purdue, the local microbrew (Lafayette Brew Co.) in town made an unbelievably good bitter. Oh! and a beer that was rarely found, but always made me happy was Bluebird Bitter. mmmmmmmmmm.

If I'm out and they only have the usual imports on tap, it's hard to go wrong with a Bass. I used to drink enough Guinness that I could tell if they pushed it with too much carbon dioxide (got a metallic taste to it). It's supposed to be no more than 25% CO2 and the remainder nitrogen.

My more recent pick up was Warsteiner Dark, it is a pretty good dark beer from Germany. Warsteiner pils is the largest import from Germany, it's good, nothing too special, and as dark beers go, their dark isn't super-great either. It's worth a try, but not worth going far out of your way to try.

Other all-time favorites:
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Boddington's
New Belgium makes good stuff, Fat Tire's probably the most famous, but I also really like their black ale 1554.
Samiclaus, a Swiss beer brewed only one day a year (St. Nick's Day, December 6th) and then aged for 10 months before bottling, it is expensive, but very, very good. This is usually an up or down for most people, though, some people love it and some people hate it.
Most of the lineup from Three Floyds is really good. Alpha King Pale Ale, Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale
Monty Python Holy Grail Ale is actually really good too. Tried it just for the funny name, and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure there are others, I try to buy something new each time the mood strikes me unless the mood is specifically for a certain beer. I just found out there there is a huge specialty beer importer in Des Moines, called "Beer Crazy" that I am eagerly looking forward to stopping in soon.

The Monty Python Holy Grail Ale reminded me of on of their best jokes. It is in their "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" show, where the bad words aren't bleeped out. It is at the beginning of the Australian Philosophy Department skit (where one of the rules is that the faculty head doesn't want to catch anyone not drinking in their rooms at night), and they toss some beers into the audience.

The joke: "We really don't care for your American beer, so much. American beer is just like making love in a canoe --- It's f**king close to water!"

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Okay, a friend at work just got back from a business trip to Germany and Belgium. He said the Belgium beer is far better. He had a "blond" light pilsner that he said was fantastic and after only two was in the bag (7.7% alcohol). Like drinking 6 normal beers. It was called Maes Pils and was brewed by the Alken-Maes Brewing company. Anyone try it and can you get it over here?

Maes Pils - Brouwerij Alken-Maes - Beer Advocate

:)

🔥 Latest posts