• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The BEST cordless tools you have used?

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
For me, it is Makita, hands down. I have the 18volt lithium ion kit, and it works wonders.

As far as the best drill bits I have seen; they are called Wood Owls; I have drilled straight through several nails when in a pinch, and they bore right through after grinding them down...

Wood Owl Bits < --- Check them out, seriously...

Sure Hilti is good, but with a cord, though... Those other yellow tools are crap.

Discuss,

spankdoggie

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I loved my Panisonic. It is now in retirement after 3 years of faithful service.

I replaced it with the standard Makita 3 piece set, drill, hammer drill and a very handy light. $245 for the whole set. I have 3 kids so I cannot afford the lithium ion series. :(

I never took a shine to the yellow tools, except the 10 inch table saw. I have one of those and I love it.

As for the drill bits......I'm going to get some of those for my next barn. They drill clean holes for the pegs, no unsightly tear out. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My 18V set is a Porter Cable drill/circular saw combo. Works for me. If I didn't have Porter Cable I would probably go with Milwaukee. All my corded stuff is Milwaukee. The best out there IMHO.

Spank - thanks for the tip on the bits.

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Sling, that Panasonic you are talking about is really good, I have heard, but I have tried everything, and Makita is the best. I am glad you know about the Wood Owls; I discovered them about 6 months ago, and I would even help distribute these gems, if possible. They are made in Japan, and their website brags about their heritage going back to the sword days of yore...

The Wood Owls have a triple boring system as opposed to the single boring system we all usually used. Seriously, 4 months ago, I raced an illegal mexican worker that was pretty strong.

I gave him the red Milwaukie corded right angle drill
aimg.epinions.com_images_opti_d3_b5_hmgdShop_ToolsAllMilwaukee3d11573b72eb6f5eecd014523c5dbc04.jpg
with a single bore bit, and I raced him with my Makita 18v lith ion with the wood owl... we both used 1" bits...

We raced 3 times. We tied.

We each drilled through a 4 x 4. Granted, I had a better 1" bit, but I just had better equipment without worrying about dragging a cord around in the future either... But then I do electrical work mostly, so I often turn power off in the areas where I am working... But the 18volt Lith/ion drill is my main worker most days.
amsni.pricegrabber.com_pi_1_30_52_13052335_640.jpg

As far as the Wood Owls go, this link actually proved true in real life for me: Wood Owl - Tri Cut Ship Augers

Oh, Milwaukee cannot hold a candle to Hilti. ;)
spankdoggie

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I wouldn't let my dog use a Milwaukee tool...... ick.

I had one bad experience with their POS cicular saw and it turned me off of the whole brand.

Likewise Porter cable.

When I started out, Porter cable was all I used. At the time, PC was the one to beat ( I loved the circ saw with the grease port on the back).

Sometime in the early 90's PC tools went to hell. They sold homeowner quality in contractor packaging.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I wouldn't let my dog use a Milwaukee tool...... ick.

I had one bad experience with their POS cicular saw and it turned me off of the whole brand.

Likewise Porter cable.

When I started out, Porter cable was all I used. At the time, PC was the one to beat ( I loved the circ saw with the grease port on the back).

Sometime in the early 90's PC tools went to hell. They sold homeowner quality in contractor packaging.

Too bad you're ruined on the Milwaukee gear. I've got a 1/2" hammer drill that I've absolutely abused for years, and it just keeps pounding it's way through whatever I poiint it at.

I do suspect that the cordless PC stuff is so/so. I bought mine because it was a good deal, and because of its rep. It's done fine for me, but I haven't used it commercially, the way I have the MKE hammer drill.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
From my experience in talking to my friend who has a lifetime of experience as a contractor, and buying my own. Outside of batteries they are hard to kill.

Makita - Circular Saw
Dewalt - Cordless Drills
Dewalt - Mitre Saw - Rigid from Home Depot is supposed to be good as well
Porter Cable Nail guns and Compressor - based on cost, Paslode (SP?) for quality if you have the money to spend.
Milwakee Sawzall
Milwakee Hammer Drill.
I have owned all of these for years without a hitch, although after about 10 years the batteries in the Dewalt drill are at their lifes end. Probably will be cheaper to buy a new drill with 2 new batteries. The rest are not cordless but plug in.

Can't really go wrong with Makita or Dewalt for others.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Too bad you're ruined on the Milwaukee gear. I've got a 1/2" hammer drill that I've absolutely abused for years, and it just keeps pounding it's way through whatever I poiint it at.

I do suspect that the cordless PC stuff is so/so. I bought mine because it was a good deal, and because of its rep. It's done fine for me, but I haven't used it commercially, the way I have the MKE hammer drill.
I did have the Locking mechanism on the Hammer drill act up, but nothing a little WD40 would not fix.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
For cordless I use Makita.

My big WW shop tools are all Ridgid.

Nailers and routers are PC.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
You guys want a little "metallurgical" secret, find a place that will "deep cryogenically" treat your bits and blades. It will double or triple the life of them and it doesn't need to be re-done if you sharpen them. It has to be taken down to -300º F to work (cooled down slowly) and then tempered at 300º F. This really works. Electronic equipment works better, speakers sound better. Works on almost anything.

A friend's business...

Controlled Thermal Processing Cryogenics and Metallurgy

OP
spankdoggie

spankdoggie

Sep 2, 2006
Milwakee Sawzall

Can't really go wrong with Makita or Dewalt for others.

For corded, actually the milwakee sawzall is a keeper, although I have demoed for hours with my 18v lith ion sawzall below, and the sucker cuts through a 4x4 almost as fast; pretty impressive--->
ai5.ebayimg.com_03_i_000_88_83_10ef_1.JPG

Hilti hammer drill, and Milwaukee sawzall are both fantastic corded equipment...

My Makita 18v jigsaw, however is awesome, but I won't upgrade to the 18v lith ion Makita jigsaw, because this one I am using is really good... That cordless has the same power as corded in my opinion... :)

I would never use Porter Cable, or De Walt, if my life depended on it; well, if my life depended on it I would... :hunter:

kiwi

Kiwi Club Ho
Aug 20, 2005
All my cordless drills are Hilti's. Cordless screw gun is Hilti. I've found cordless skillsaws are basically useless. Repcip saws are all cordless and Dewalt. The cordless radio is Dewalt as well. Paslode for the nailguns, bought another couple of them last week.

I have seen Milwaukee online but they don't sell them down here

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I've always used yellow, mainly 18 volt Dewalt in the drill, recip saw and circ saw. About a year ago, I got the Dewalt 36 volt saws and drill. The saws are awesome, cut through anything, but the drill is way to cumbersome. So, when the time comes to replace my 18v drill, it will be with the Makita LXT. Those puppies are awesome. Light and powerful.

Hilti is awesome, I have a TE5 hammerdrill, and its the best.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online