• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The best front 9 of my life with a disastrous back

trey88

Jun 1, 2008
Shot the best front 9 in my life today, was all pumped up to break 90 going into 10 with a 40 on the front, and bombed it with a 53. :(. So close. Parred the 1st hole, doubled the next, then went on a 2 run birdie streak with a chip in at the par 3 3rd and a killed driver with a chip close for a birdie putt. bogied the next 3, parred the 8th par 5, got overzealous going for #9 in 1 again with a driver and cost me a bogey. Still got a 40 so I was happy.

Back side just came unraveled. Slice started rearing her ugly head then I overcorrected. Two 3 putt holes and a quad bogey along with 2 triples for trying to do too much rather than play it safe. Sucks to watch your freshly dropped ball just have too much spin and run off the other side of the green down into god knows where. Missed an easy birdie opp on the shortest par 4 on the course driveable with a good 3 wood tee shot (310 yds) and couldnt get one. Oh well, 90s coming down one of these days, just today wasn't it. :/

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Sounds like you were just trying to hard. Great front 9 though. Hang in there, keep playing like it sounds like you are capable of and you'll break 90 soon enough.

Just don't expect it very often, :laugh:

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
been there, done that...here lately if I have a great front, I try not to even think about the score,...just play,...then I will have a good back too...if I worry about each shot, or each bad shot,..its all down hill....congrats on a good 9.

OP
T

trey88

Jun 1, 2008
My problem isn't really so much that I'm not a consistent ball striker it's just I can't control where its going to go so much. I can pick my clubs right for that I need, a but I might push/pull/slice that short iron going into the green then I'm struggling to get up and down with a chip, and that is not my forte. That and the quad bogey I had, I really shouldn't have tried going inbetween the trees :/

Also doesn't help that I don't have time to practice much during the week with 2 jobs going, so the course is my training grounds. I tried swinging with more of my body than my arms, really focusing on my shoulders, and rolling the forearms through impact, and that helped my ball control quite a bit, especially off the tee. Not quite going EXACTLY where I want them, but at least I'm getting close to the green. I felt like I was blocking my forearms from turning during impact, causing a nasty but powerful slice, and I remembered a lesson I got from a dads friend hitting half 7 irons focusing on forearm rotation and I was hitting some long draws with effortless half swings.

OP
T

trey88

Jun 1, 2008
Score DOES NOT matter.

Shot by shot.

That crept in after the quad bogey when I started trying to figure out what I had to do to make an 89 and I started losing focus. Got back into it somewhat but it was too late, the damage was done. My shortgame was doing pretty reasonable for me on the front, but just came completely apart in the back half. Lost confidence in my putting, which definetly hurt me with a couple par, bogey saves, and a birdie chance at 4 foot.

At least my shortgame was good for the front though. I changed tactics, rather than playing a chip more like a pitch and air it, I've been going for the bump and runs. The greens are very slow compared to most peoples on heres standards so I can be pretty confident with being aggressive. I try to use a 6-9 iron and keep the ball low and get it running. My chipping has improved considerably since the day I made the change. A lot less flopped chips, and the misses are generally in better shape than trying to air it to the hole.

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Ive done it, 3 under 33 on the front followed by a 13 over 49 on the back, 4 balls o.b. off the tee

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Score DOES NOT matter.

Shot by shot.
You and your long-term thinking. I want results! I don't care if focusing on my shots will make me a better golfer eventually! I wanna' score!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I never add up the score until the rd is complete, I don't even try to guesstimate it. If I know I need to par the last 2 holes or whatever to reach a certain goal then I would surely screw it up.

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
I always know exactly what I am to par at all times. I like to know. It's probably hurt me at times but I think it makes you better in the long run

Golfballawhackerguy

Jun 23, 2008
I think it helps to know. At least if you have a score you are going for. That way you know whether to be aggressive or play it safe. Of course if it's a scorecard of snowmen, I would just throw that one out...call it a "practice round".

OP
T

trey88

Jun 1, 2008
I usually play the front 9 twice a weekend and the 2nd of the 18 once a weekend so I hope with some relaxation and tempo change 40's will be the normal. From 93 to the lower 80s would more than satifsfy me.

🔥 Latest posts