• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Carolinas

VAGolf

MHS Varsity Golf 09'
Aug 15, 2008
pinehurst resort is AMAZING. we drove past it once when i was traveling through NC. i want to there sooooo badly.

bugman53

Aug 1, 2008
I would recomend the greensboro\burlington area it we have a but load of great courses. I am still finding corused i have not heard of after 22 years.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
The other is next to Hendersonville (between Mountain Home and Hendersonville) about 30 minutes south of the Asheville and Lake Lure area. I see the one you are talking about, and assumed that was what you meant.

edit 1 - BTW, being that you live around there, what is Durham like compared to Chapel Hill or Cary (or even Raleigh). Will likely check out Pinehurst the next time out, but between Chapel Hill, Cary or Durham would you avoid Durham or Cary over Chapel Hill or are they all kinda the same atmosphere?
We only go to Cary of those 3 for dinner/shopping/etc. Chapel Hill is basically a college town (UNC) and I'm just out of that phase of life. I'm only in Durham for work or one of the kid's sporting events. Otherwise, we never go there. There is a really nice mall area called Southpointe that is off I-40 just east of the 15/501 intersection you should check out if you're not just playing golf or have wife/kids with you. Lots of stores and restaurants.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
We only go to Cary of those 3 for dinner/shopping/etc. Chapel Hill is basically a college town (UNC) and I'm just out of that phase of life. I'm only in Durham for work or one of the kid's sporting events. Otherwise, we never go there. There is a really nice mall area called Southpointe that is off I-40 just east of the 15/501 intersection you should check out if you're not just playing golf or have wife/kids with you. Lots of stores and restaurants.
Thanks for the info. My wife and I are pretty much golfers first and nothing second. No kids, she actually hates shopping only maybe more than kids if you want to flip a coin. :)

So drinks, dining and golf may sum it up!!!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Thanks for the info. My wife and I are pretty much golfers first and nothing second. No kids, she actually hates shopping only maybe more than kids if you want to flip a coin. :)

So drinks, dining and golf may sum it up!!!
You really should go to Pinehurst and stay at one of the inn's in the village, then. Play during the day, go back and shower, then walk to dinner/drinks/dancing, then walk home for dessert!! :D

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Well, we put about 2000 miles on our car in the last week and it seemed as though we looked at every golf course area between Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Pinehurst and Tennessee. We basically drove around and anytime we saw more that 2-3 courses within a few miles we would check out the area. We stayed by the Raleigh-Durham Airport the first day, checked out the area, then drove down to Pinehurst the next day. We quickly realized just from the stretch of road between Southern Pines and Pinehurst, and also what we saw about Aberdeen that we would need to visit this area again and it quickly set the bar for what would interest us. Probably saved us a ton of time, because it just had so many courses and an environment we liked. We then went north through Greensboro and all areas west off 40 through to Tennessee where we were staying. We saw a few that were interesting, although compared to Pinehurst, Hickory was about the only that attracted some interests. After checking the Real Estate in Hickory around the courses, and the lack of as many courses compared to Pinehurst, we ruled it out.

We then made the trip down through Asheville and to Lake Lure. Lake Lure is a hit. It is in a valley area that remains about 8-10 degrees warmer than the Asheville and surrounding mountain areas. Even the folks in Asheville felt it may be a better option for what we mentioned. We did check some property, and it is an interesting situation. You can buy property on the local resort for which we are familiar, in doing so you get access to all the amenities of the resort including the Marina, rentals, pools, courts, etc. They have 2 courses on the resort that are fairly nice.

We plan to make a trip back to Pinehurst area in November, then we will likely make a decision. Probably going to be a tough call when the time comes. Also have planned a Golf Vacation to Hilton Head in March, so if we decide on Pinehurst we can likely check out houses at that time.

Thanks for all the information from everyone. Certainly made it worthwhile, as we likely would not have even gone to the Pinehurst area, and many of the other areas.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier; it's interesting. I love Asheville, and whenever I see some ad for that whole Carolina Highlands golf area, I salivate.

Given that it's hurricane season, I'd worry about that as you get closer to the coast. How does it affect the whole Pinehurst area?

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The hurricane season is the biggest part of why we are trying to stay inland. Don't want to have to worry about going down there every time one comes ashore, and neither of us really care to be around the ocean. Pinehurst is about 150 miles inland, so now we will have to do a little research on how it is when it comes to hurricanes. While I imagine it will likely still get some of the remnants of rain and wind, I imagine most of the real damaging force will have broken up to some degree.

When we were over by Lake Lure, my parents in PA and my wifes Parents in KS were worried about the 2 Hurricanes. KS got the remnants of the one in LA, and PA got it from the one in Carolina. Lake Lure stayed dry, didn't get a drop of rain until we came back up here.

🔥 Latest posts