• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Confession Thread.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Forgive me Mr. Palmer, for I have sinned.

It has been 5 rounds since my last confession, and I need to unburden myself.

Today I went to a demo day. And I couldn't hit anything. ANYTHING. I don't understand. I was at the range yesterday, and my swing was fine. I'm no Tiger, of course, but my shots were straight and LPGA long.

But today, I humiliated myself. In front of people.

It wasn't so much the regular demo area. No, I was able to hit enough decent shots there to keep from looking like a complete fool.

It was the free launch monitor session. I even brought my own driver for a "baseline". And I couldn't hit it. My.Own.Driver.

I hit wormburners, shanks, slices, duck hooks, and pop-ups. It was horrible. I have no idea what happened. Even the little old Asian lady getting her first clubs ever hit better than me.

I'm pretty sure I heard the launch monitor cursing at me for wasting it's time.

In one afternoon, I have completely obliterated my confidence in my swing. I'm scared to swing my clubs again.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
:biglol:

I kid I kid...dude, just be natural up there. Feel confident, fake yourself into thinking that you are, and know what you are capable of.

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I'm going to do 10 Hail Arnies, read the Good (Little Red) Book, and pray to the Holy Spirit (of Bobby Jones) to exorcise the demons possessing my swing.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I had the same problem when I played golf with some people from work. I was getting 6s on a par-3 course.
Yesterday, I played on the same course but played alone and I was getting pars and bogeys on the same course.
I thought to myself, "Oh sure, Im play well when no one is here to see it!!!"

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I had the same problem when I played golf with some people from work. I was getting 6s on a par-3 course.
Yesterday, I played on the same course but played alone and I was getting pars and bogeys on the same course.
I thought to myself, "Oh sure, Im play well when no one is here to see it!!!"

Isn't that way it always goes? Hey did you see that great chip shot for birdie? Oh wait, i'm playing by myself.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Isn't that way it always goes? Hey did you see that great chip shot for birdie? Oh wait, i'm playing by myself.
LOL...yup! On this one hole I hit this nice little 9-iron shot that overshot the hole by about 20' and then spun back to within 10-15' of the hole. Compare that to when I played that hole with my co workers when I hit the same club and it was a pulled shot that went, "SPLASH". Oh well, thats golf!

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Houston, We Have a Problem!

Oh feck.

It's spreading.

200+ balls at the range this morning, and maybe 25 of them were acceptable. 7i-SW were meh, but complete system failure in driver has now spread to 3w and high-breads.

But most disconcerting is the L-Wedge. That is always a "go to" club for me. The 50 yd. flop/super high lob is my bread and butter.

Gone.

Shanks and tops.

And I snapped my Inside Approach in two . Hit it so hard with my driver than I completely shattered the plastic arm. And that would have been okay if over-the-top was my problem. But it isn't (I didn't hit the Inside Approach on the other bad hits).

feck.feck.feck.

I have somehow angered the golf gods something awful.

Time for some serious penance.

At least honeycrisp apples are finally back in the stores.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Harry, first choice:

Go see your pro ASAP. You need the confidence boost/reassurance. Nothing has happened to your fundamental swing, you just need to get the needle back in the groove.

Second choice: call your pro and get a 5-10 minute pep talk. This saved my rear two years ago, when I had a similar day on the range just before heading to the Bahamas for a weekend on the world's most fabulous golf course. The Ritz-Carlton Abaco Club

Third choice: go back to the basics. Stance, grip, ball position, posture. We all get lazy sometimes. Be sure you have all the static stuff down right. Run through it all before you take another swing. This really often does the trick.

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Harry, first choice:

Go see your pro ASAP. You need the confidence boost/reassurance. Nothing has happened to your fundamental swing, you just need to get the needle back in the groove.

Second choice: call your pro and get a 5-10 minute pep talk. This saved my rear two years ago, when I had a similar day on the range just before heading to the Bahamas for a weekend on the world's most fabulous golf course. The Ritz-Carlton Abaco Club

Third choice: go back to the basics. Stance, grip, ball position, posture. We all get lazy sometimes. Be sure you have all the static stuff down right. Run through it all before you take another swing. This really often does the trick.

(1) Got a lesson scheduled for Saturday.

(2) I don't think a pep-talk is going to help for this.

(3) Been there, done did that.

I may drag out the hitting net, the shag bag, and the impact bag later today.

And try to repair the Inside Approach.

And pray to the golf gods for forgiveness. A lot.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

One of my first rounds of golf and still one of the best I have had was the first time I played with random people. I was so afraid because I was going to suck BIG time! I actually did great, even with one of the guys and couple of strokes less than the other ones. I thought I could actually play this sport, it seemed I was kind of good for it. Obviously, years passed before I could ever performed the same way...:laugh:

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Get a couple strippers and some SoCo, :D

I prefer Courvoisier and skanks.

tim_meadows_the_ladies_man_002.jpg

🔥 Latest posts