• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Dynamics of the Golf Swing

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
You swing all your clubs a bit differently, but I'm looking for a very general base swing to improve myself with.

-When I go into the backswing, I try to keep my torso stable, and not move it back onto my right leg. My right knee stays solid to pivot on, and my left heel raises off the ground a little to get a full swing. I stop as close to parallel as I can to the ground on a full swing.

-Into the downswing, there's a choice that bothers me. Should the torso stay as it had before, or move toward the target? I know a 'weight shift' is a good thing to have, but I'm not entirely sure what this means. It seems like I hit the ball better when my torso moves onto my left leg through impact. Should it?

-The release.. I've never had this clearly defined to me. I don't know if I'm doing it or not. Lemme get some accurate and precise information on this.

-Full finish!

-Also, should your shoulders be parallel to the target line at impact, or should your body be turning before that? Thanks!

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
SilverUberXeno said:
You swing all your clubs a bit differently, but I'm looking for a very general base swing to improve myself with.

-When I go into the backswing, I try to keep my torso stable, and not move it back onto my right leg. My right knee stays solid to pivot on, and my left heel raises off the ground a little to get a full swing. I stop as close to parallel as I can to the ground on a full swing.

-Into the downswing, there's a choice that bothers me. Should the torso stay as it had before, or move toward the target? I know a 'weight shift' is a good thing to have, but I'm not entirely sure what this means. It seems like I hit the ball better when my torso moves onto my left leg through impact. Should it?

-The release.. I've never had this clearly defined to me. I don't know if I'm doing it or not. Lemme get some accurate and precise information on this.

-Full finish!

-Also, should your shoulders be parallel to the target line at impact, or should your body be turning before that? Thanks!
When you do everything you mentioned to get to the top the rest will happen by itself if you let it. Most people try to start the downswing with their arms. This ruins everything you just worked so hard to achieve.
I try to imagine the swing from the ground up. I start with my weight slightly forward and bent just enough that I am almost reaching to ground the club. From there I start the turn back just making sure I am building pressure on the inside of my right foot. As I continue the turn the pressure is now on the inside of my right knee. At that point I have completed the hip portion of the turn and continue the body turn until I feel the tension in my shoulders. My left shoulder is now even with my right foot and the back swing is complete.
Now comes the hard part, you have to be patient with the start of the down swing and let your lower body start even tho your brain is telling you to release your hands.
I start with a mild push of the right foot and then let everything uncoil. Gravity will pull your hands down, it is important to not lose control of the club head during this phase. Now the club is on a slight in to out path and if you have been patient and not lunged at the ball you will be rewarded with a nice crisp click as the ball jumps off the face on its way to a slight draw.
I am now facing completely toward the target with 95% of my weight on the left side.
Now for all of you who are still confused, This is why you need to see a pga teacher who can show you what I just described. Everything makes complete sense to me but many of you may still be shaking your head. Spend $25 on a single lesson and ask the same question and the teacher will show you in detail what I said.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
Thats a nice breakdown of the swing OB. I recently had a (long overdue) lesson with a teaching pro at a European Tour Event I attended. He explained things very simularly to what you have done.
Unfortunately, in my case he said I had slight "flying elbow" at the top and that this was causing all sorts of "funny" things to happen at impact.
(I think he was just being diplomatic!!)

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
That is what I ment by letting things happen. You are trying to complete your turn by lifting the club, don't do that:D

Remember, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The downswing should start with the lower half weight transfer,but it should be so slight it should be instinctive and be as a result from a proper coiling of the body going back,try to start the downswing with a deliberate weight shift and i would suggest this will probably be the wrong thing to do.Probably,and i stress probably,the right thing to do is continue to work on basics and backswing.Getting a powerful coil gping is the key.Once the dopwnswing has been initiated by the lower half the arms should just drop in to position at the top,giving you the 'percieved' position of a late hit,when in fact,the arms have just let gravity drop them before the wrists whip the club through.

🔥 Latest posts