• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Fall of Cameron

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
This was posted on wrx by jick. All credit of this post goes to him.

The Wilson 8802 and the John Reuter Bullseye were legendary putters that lasted forever. Now they aren't being produced anymore. In the late 80's, everyone and his brother owned the Ping Eye2 irons. Today, Ping is no longer in the Big Three (Titleist, Taylor Made, Callaway) but have a smaller market of trickled down Eye2 fans and those who support US made product. In the early to mid-90s, everyone seemed to own a Callaway Big Betha or Great Big Bertha or Biggest Big Bertha. Today, Callaway does not dominate the driver marketplace and the Big Bertha brand has been relegated to their more affordable line.

All good things come to an end, and the end of Scotty Cameron's domination in the putter wars is near.

Before, most of the top players in the world used a Cameron. Now, the only holdover is Tiger Woods while Els, Singh, Mickelson, and Garcia have switched elsewhere. And the putter Tiger uses is no longer in production by Cameron - a plain stainless steel Newport 2 model. All of Camerons Newports today have the gimmicky inserts with screws and urethane backing that have turned off the his loyalists who preferred one-piece putters, and Cameron has changed the shape (as seen in his Te13 10th and his Newport 2 Detour) away from the Woods look. Cameron cannot expect to win new fans on the basis of has-beens like Love III or Faxon anymore.

Aside from the top players switching out of Cameron, another contribution to his downfall is his failure to have successful original designs. The Futura line never really took off and has really low resale values when compared to even older models. After initial buzz, you can no longer see the Detour in tour pros' bags even if Cameron proclaimed it in a Golf Digest interview as the next revolution in putter-making. Cameron's lack of talent in original designs has been exposed once he tried making originals. Sure, every other putter maker makes a copy of the Ping Anser, but they do have original designs that have sold and gained tour usage on their own merit: Bobby Grace's MOI, Odyssey's Rossie & 2-ball, or Bettinardi's BB43.

The Internet has also been a place for information dissemenation, where Cameron's extremely high unconsciable margins have been exposed. Cameron started selling Newport 009 as custom order at $2000/piece. This brought the rise of new boutique putter makers (Slighter, Byron, 350milled, TP Mills, Palombi) who would do the same customization as Cameron does for the tour, but at a fraction of the price. Seeing prices of Golf Pride grips at $5 or AME putter covers at $25 makes one wonder if the Cameron name really worth a 200 to 300% increase in the price for the same product? The high cost of restoration in the Cameron shop ($150/minimum) brought forth the discovery of Black Oxide Services who are much cheaper and have begun to diversify their finishing options.

It is also in the Internet forums where collectors learned of many things such as: Bettinardi used to mill for Cameron but quit when Cameron wanted to go more mass market, or that Cameron outsources his production to other machine shops with a few lines being in the past being done in Asia. Meanwhile, Bettinardi still mills and produces putters (even his Mizunos), in the same Chicago facility where he is located so he can keep an eye on the ball all the time.

Other questionable practices were brought to light thanks to the Internet. What once was a badge of getting a putter from the tour van - the Circle T stamping is nothing more than just a money-making novelty from the Cameron Studio. Many Circle T putters never see the light of the tour van even if they are purported to be tour. Instead, they go straight to the his selected sellers. There is a tinge of deception in the Circle T brand nowadays. Another great Internet debate that has never been answered because Cameron has been intentionally vague about it is the German Stainless Steel issue. Experts say that it is just regular stainless steel off Germany and doesn't cost much more to justify his making putters out of it for $5000. It just just a cash cow Cameron made with marketing.

People have come to realize that not only is Cameron overpriced, he is also controlling the price of his own putters - thanks to his policty of limiting his authorized distributors for his non-production putters. This actually puts into question the "limited" nature of these putters. People who check eBay, and the TCC buy and sell have come to realize that these non-production putters aren't as rare or as limited as one was misled to believe. They are everywhere. Cameron has realized his retail market share is dimishing but he still has a loyal fanbase of collectors, so lately it seems he has concentrated on cashing in on the loyalist more than the retail buyer.

The most recent controversy, which has to do with the eBay Cameron putter milled by Bettinardi back in the day when the latter used to mill for the former, has caused a lot of outrage and resignations in The Cameron Collector forum because of Cameron's denials about his not knowing of the existence of the putter and his lies that it was "modified" when in fact all accounts and studies of the photos reveal that the face was milled before it was stamped. This has also brought into light the underbelly of the TCC forum - which is very similar to the another "bombastic" forum in the Internet - censorship, post deletions, and giving members a hard time if their opinions do not suit Cameron interests. The was once a forum where members could freely discuss their love for Cameron, but once it got big, Cameron got a hold of that forum, told his henchmen to take over, and now it is no longer a discussion forum but more of a propaganda forum where you are censored or banned if your views are contrary to theirs.

Looking at the big picture, there are much more people leaving the Cameron fold and going to boutique putter makers compared to new people joining the Cameron-loving ranks. There is no question that Cameron is losing his fanbase quickly, not to mention his tour presence. In the PGA, there is a big decrease in top pros using his putter while in other worldwide tours, he doesn't have that strong a presence at all.

So a lot of things are coming together today that would bring about the fall of the Cameron Empire: (1) top players in the world no longer using his putter; (2) realization that Cameron lacks skill with his original designs; (3) overpricing of custom shop and tour merchandise to maximize profits at the expense of the loyal collector; (4) the rise of cheaper, but better or same quality, alternatives in the form of custom boutique putter makers; (5) the rise of other milled putters in the market (Odyssey Black Series, Nike Unitized, Macgregor Bobby Grace, Mizuno Bettinardi, Ping Redwood) to give buyers more alternatives; (6) the GSS debate and the current eBay Camenardi denials and other internet issues that have exposed Cameron's questionable practices and intentions, (7) the realization that Cameron's production putters cut corners and are outsourced while some of his rivals like Bettinardi refuse to compromise, and (8) the rise of technological innovation in putter designs such a roll-face technologies and high-MOI's that Cameron has not jumped into yet and will be too late when he does.

Cameron was just a marketing genius who was on the right place at the right time. But now people have come to realize that there are others with more talent than him but did not have his luck and shrewdness. Or there may be people who aren't as opportunistic and profit-oriented as Cameron. Sure they have their principles but they aren't as rich as Cameron.

Today, there are many who make higher quality retail products, and others who offer better customer service when it comes to customization options.

Believe it or not, the end is near. The fall of the Cameron empire is upon us.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Personally have to agree with this, with all the scandal and other custom makers out now, I think cameron is finally going to be done. He HAS to keep producing product ala Tiger to keep people interested for one, cuz Tiger is one of his biggest assets in a sense. The "circle T" is becoming a novelty as its EVERYWHERE, i just looked on WRX in the classifieds, there are 4 circle T 009s on there right now, no question they are a great putter, but theyre just money makers at the moment, and soon enough will be able for purchase for under 1000 im betting.

This is by no means a knock by posting this, Cameron putters are and always will be one of the best out there, but no questions the huge cult like following and his integrity are hurting now.

But I am still loyal to my pro platinum, and will be for a long time, but cannot factor out that I may try one of the new custom jobs out there (slighter would be the one i'd try first i thing).

But for now, I am pro cameron, and maybe this will make the custom shop a little cheaper by the time i need to refinish my pro platinum:laugh:

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I agree with this post that Cameron is sending himself to a steady decline down the market industry. He is gonna outprice himself so much there will be no company left.:(

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I agree with this as well. I have a Scotty en route now, but I doubt will begin lusting for all things Cameron. It all seems over the top to me.

If I'm going to spend $2000 on a putter, I'll get four Slighter's.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Don't get me wrong, if i WAS going to spend 2 g's on a putter, it'd be a 009 circle T in a second, its just that they're probly going to be up for cheaper soon enough.

But again, I still love my pro platinum, most solid sweetest putter i've ever used.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
He still makes a great product at a good price. Even though I will never spend 2 large on a putter I'll drop a couple hundred on a good quality flat stick. Who knows what SC is up to now, it took him 5 yrs. to develop the Futura. (The best putter ever made;-)

:smilie_ti

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
...if i WAS going to spend 2 g's on a putter, it'd be a 009 circle T in a second....
Sandpiper3,

A friend has 009 and I love that thing. The feel, the weight, the sound, and the shape are awesome.

I have a Studio Stainless Newport 2 now that is 2" inches too long and a little lighter than I would like. The stainless is brighter than I want. So I decided it was time to get a new putter.

So what to get? There is no way I am going to spend 20 to 30 Benjamins on a putter so the Cameron 009 is out. But the 009 is everything I want in a putter.

Lucky for me, there are some "boutique" putter makers that make putters similar to the 009. The Slighter Portland, the Byron Morgan 007, and the C & L Milled CL-I are the three most similar that I found. The Slighter Portland would end up costing over $400 but I could get the Morgan 007 and C & L Milled CL-I for just under $300. I picked the CL-I because the head was the closest to the Cameron 009 in shape and is made of the exact same carbon steel. Plus, I could get it stamped just like I wanted it for no extra cost.

It's crazy that Cameron won't or can't make a putter like the 009 for the masses just because he needs to protect his collector market. His mass market products just aren't that special so I won't be caught in the Scotty Cameron web again. At least not when I can get a putter that I want made to my specs and stamped the way I want it for less than his standard mass market fare.

S-

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Scotty was a marketing genius....now times have changed and simply caught up with him.

...to a certain point....

Now he is selling "limited edition" head covers that are going upwards of $1,000 and more!

As far as actual putters go, aside from the "Detour" (which failed) he's really not had an original idea...hell, even the Detour borrows from the Mentor line...

The Futura was a direct copy f the Newton putter...even the ads SC used were almost verbatim that of the Newton.

IMO, the original SC putters were well made...copies? yes....but still good quality....

Now? Not so much.

If it wasn't for Tiger, he'd be toast.

OP
Sandpiper3

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Hey sidewinder, get some pics up of the new flatstick once you get it!

I was followin ur thread on wrx, too bad some idiot was flamin ya.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hmmm. Personally, why I chose Cameron instead of Slighter and some of the others is a relative uniqueness to his base-line putters. Just a touch that I couldn't find elsewhere.

We'll see though, as many of you know, I think they are decent putters, but I am far from a Cameron addict.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, will be before too long. Probably next Thursday or Friday. Want to use it a little first, :)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
It will happen eventually. Nothing lasts forever.

SC still makes some great putters regardless of whether his empire is declining or not. While I have never been a high end Cameron collector, I do have a few examples of his production models and love each for its design and feel. Personally, I love the GSS inserted models, they have the best feel out of any of his putters IMHO.

Cameron built his empire on Tiger's back. Tiger was not his first high profile Major winner, but he was the one that sold more putters than anyone else. Granted, Cameron's bread and butter Newport line was not an original design, but he improved on the design by bringing a milled version to market. The Cameron milled feel is what put his putters in pro's hands which turned into to sales to the general public. His "limited edition" style marketing inflated demand and made him a pile of money. He is a business man, and that is the path he chose to make a living. The consumer determines the market, so if you want to buy into it, it is your option. While there a few limited edtition putter I would love to have, I know all too well that I will not be obtaining one at current market prices.

The eventual downfall of Cameron's empire will be others who will produce a similar or improved product at lower prices. The decline of the "exclusive" market will not kill Cameron's business. His money has already been made on those putters. The death of Cameron will come when someone finds a way to produce or improve a version of a fine milled Anser/Newport style putter for under $150 retail and will customize it at a price point under $200.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I have quite liked one or two of his putters, but have always stated I would never shell out even a 1/3 of the asking price of his putters. I much prefer other putter styles and find the feel off my 2-ball White Hot far more supreme than that off a S.C...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.