• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Feet Together Drill

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
So, I've played hardly any golf in the last 12 months.

I played a round in January at the invitation of my teaching pro and by his description => I played like someone who hadn't played for 12 months (pun intended).

I've ventured to the range over the last couple of weeks and my ball striking has been inconsistent.

I was trying to fix an issue that my teaching pro commented about in the January round. Apparently in my backswing I was rotating too far to the inside, thus causing me to get a bit stuck on the downswing, promoting a push or a snap hook.

Anyhoo, in my range work, I was concentrating on getting left shoulder over my right foot on the backswing and also taking the club straight back (rather than it getting too far on the inside).

One thing though. My ball striking consistency was atrocious and I couldn't understand why. It was terrible.

In response, I decided to hit some balls with my feet together. Bingo. After a couple of swings, everything clicked. Pure strikes. Then I went back to normal stance but same as before -> inconsistent.

So I decided to do an entire irons session with my feet together. I went from 9 iron up to 4 iron. The point of this post is to share my results. The results were great. Consistent ball striking and very straight.

The really good outcome of the drill was that I believe I worked out what I'd been doing wrong. The feet together drill ensures that you rotate around yourself without any sliding. I believe that in concentrating on my takeaway (described above) I started sliding without realising it, thus causing the inconsistent striking.

So, I'm an even bigger fan of the feet together drill now. If things aren't going well in a range session. Give it a try.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I think I mentioned this before but this last summer I played with a guy who hit every shot (driver to putter) with his feet together. Fucker shot a 78.

I can understand why he did that.

If he left his driver in the bag, he probably would've shot a 66.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
I can understand why he did that.

If he left his driver in the bag, he probably would've shot a 66.
He said that when he took a normal stance he would slice the shit out of the ball. He didn't have very good distance, but he hit almost every green in reg. Fucker.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I also took a quick lesson from the local college golf coach who showed me that drill. Said he makes his team begin and end every range session with it.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I absolutely believe this. I played a shorter course one day and had a 75 year old join me. I easily outdrove him with my 7 iron. He beat me by 2. Old fart. I learned a lot that day.

That's how it always goes. Some of my best lessons and most enjoyable rounds came from non teaching pros and playing with golfers easily three times my age!!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I hit a bucket of balls at my local range on Sunday and unfortunately hit like a dog. Nothing was working.

So, I dropped into my teaching pro yesterday to give him a look at my swing. Verdict? Tempo out of whack. Trying to hit too hard.

Remedy for tempo? Do some short game practice. Also, Lo and behold => the feet together drill with half swings, concentrating on body turn.

I had a five minute hit while I was there and things started to work again. I started to clip some nice shots.

The good ole' feet together drill comes to the rescue again.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts