• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The first time I have a use for a flop shot...

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I can hit a flopper, but the lie has to be just right, and the strike very precise. Doesn't happen but once in a blue moon, so it's not really a go to shot.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
There is a fine line between "hitting the shot" and "the s***k".

I have developed a new shot, and honestly, I have never seen anyone else hit it, even a beginner. I call it "the pseudo-s****k" and it truly drives me nuts sometimes.

I'm usually a good chipper and pitcher. I have chipped in for birdie to win tournaments. But every now and then, usually when practicing, so I'm hitting the same shot over and over, I will start the pseudo-s****k, and then I have to switch to a different club and shot to get rid of it.

What happens is that on a delicate chip or short pitch where I don't need a lot of club head speed, I'll inadvertendly decel the club just enough that the descending blow is poor, the clubface is a little open, and the ball will squirt off to the right at a 45° angle. Just like a s****k, but no hosel involvement.

Maddening.

Owmigawd Doc,
You have just perfectly described a shot that I've hit a number of times this summer. Every time I hit it, my buddy says, "What the hell was that?". I can't wait to tell him that I've finally got a name for it. :D

Now, all I need is a name for the little shot where I scuff the putter on the grass behind a three foot putt. :real angry:

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Thats called the Duster...

Usually happens when I'm just lazy and don't keep the putter up. Then I hit it like a girl.

*Sorry Claire...

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I know what you mean... I just bought a 58° Callaway X Tour wedge 2 weeks ago because I was going to play at Keystone Ranch (RTJ course in the mountains west of Denver) and I knew that the quick greens would place too much of a demand on my usual short game preference(50° GW). The 58° was perfect for it. Even though I never actually needed to flop it, the higher loft and lower bounce than my 56° SW made it a great choice for several pitches, and it definitely saved me 2 or 3 strokes during the round.

Keystone Ranch is one of my favorite Colorado course. The last time I played there I really got my butt kicked. The wind was blowing straight down the valley and it seemed like every shot that missed the fairway was a lost ball. Everything not fairway/primary rough was an environmentally sensitive area.

BTW I'm sitting at the computer looking at a picture of the par 3 with the rustic ranch barn alongside. I can't remember the hole # but I remember I birdied it the last time we played there.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Owmigawd Doc,
You have just perfectly described a shot that I've hit a number of times this summer. Every time I hit it, my buddy says, "What the hell was that?". I can't wait to tell him that I've finally got a name for it. :D

Now, all I need is a name for the little shot where I scuff the putter on the grass behind a three foot putt. :real angry:

I think that shot is called a choke. At least that's how my golfing partners refer to it when I do it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online