• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Force Awakens...

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
So, how did it go?
49 on the front nine.

Approach shots and short game is where I lost most of my strokes. One three putt. Only one green in regulation (the 9th). Hit 6 out of 7 fairways.

Definitely in Florida ‘cause I spent a lot of time at the beach. Drew the worst lie in a bunker that I have ever encountered. Actually plugged in a near vertical face of a bunker (fried egg would have been a more preferable lie) with a severe down hill lie above a narrow end of the green that was sloping down to a pond. If I got the ball out of the bunker, it’s definitely in the pond. Actually pulled off the shot to extract the ball out of the plugged lie and stay in the bunker on the up slope at the front edge without hurting myself.

Still not sure how I drew that lie. Hit my 54* SW high into the green to the point it was coming almost straight down. Ball went bout 15 yards further than expected (flyer lie most likely as I flubbed my “going for the green in two” hybrid into the light rough short of the pond.) Heard the sound 95 yards away when it plugged, it sounded like it plugged in thick mud rather than sand. I should have Patrick Reed’ed it and cleared some sand away. ;)

Not a bad round, not a great round for me.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
49 on the front nine.

Approach shots and short game is where I lost most of my strokes. One three putt. Only one green in regulation (the 9th). Hit 6 out of 7 fairways.

Definitely in Florida ‘cause I spent a lot of time at the beach. Drew the worst lie in a bunker that I have ever encountered. Actually plugged in a near vertical face of a bunker (fried egg would have been a more preferable lie) with a severe down hill lie above a narrow end of the green that was sloping down to a pond. If I got the ball out of the bunker, it’s definitely in the pond. Actually pulled off the shot to extract the ball out of the plugged lie and stay in the bunker on the up slope at the front edge without hurting myself.

Still not sure how I drew that lie. Hit my 54* SW high into the green to the point it was coming almost straight down. Ball went bout 15 yards further than expected (flyer lie most likely as I flubbed my “going for the green in two” hybrid into the light rough short of the pond.) Heard the sound 95 yards away when it plugged, it sounded like it plugged in thick mud rather than sand. I should have Patrick Reed’ed it and cleared some sand away. ;)

Not a bad round, not a great round for me.
Given our respective amounts of time off, I'd be fine with a 49.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Given our respective amounts of time off, I'd be fine with a 49.
Shot a 119 over 18 today.

Totally forgot how to hit irons and wedges. Not a single green in regulation. 8 of 13 fairways, and all but two within two feet of the fairway. 37 putts.

I hit my goal off the tee several times, aiming for the 100 yards to center marker in the middle of the fairway. Then would take 3 to 4 shank like hits to get near the green. Typical 2nd round wheels fall off the truck round for me. Probably had at least ten penalty strokes, just didn’t add them up as my scoring app doesn’t have a place holder for them.

Putter worked out OK once I could find the green.

Cleansing the memory banks with a bottle of Pino Noir and some Baileys on ice. Nine holes tomorrow.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

Totally forgot how to hit irons and wedges. Not a single green in regulation. 8 of 13 fairways, and all but two within two feet of the fairway. 37 putts.

I hit my goal off the tee several times, aiming for the 100 yards to center marker in the middle of the fairway. Then would take 3 to 4 shank like hits to get near the green. Typical 2nd round wheels fall off the truck round for me. Probably had at least ten penalty strokes, just didn’t add them up as my scoring app doesn’t have a place holder for them.

Cleansing the memory banks with a bottle of Pino Noir and some Baileys on ice. Nine holes tomorrow.

Cleanse away and enjoy tomorrow’s round!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country

At least you're out there playing.

And btw, it's Pinot Noir. Of course, I expect that from a Pats fan. :p

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
At least you're out there playing.

And btw, it's Pinot Noir. Of course, I expect that from a Pats fan. :p
Stupid autocorrect. :mad:

Could have been worse, I guess.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
The golf gods have a way messing with you.

Hit the range before today’s nine. Striping my irons and wedges. Could not miss.

Tee off on 10, long and down the middle. 9 iron to 8 feet. Birdie putt sank. 11 is a par 5, boom right down the middle. Worm burner 5 iron followed by a sweet 4 hybrid and a lip out for a three putt. Snowman on 12, can not hit anything straight. Bogey par 3 13th. Snowman on 14, nothing went right. Par the par 3 15th. Snowman the rest of the way home. 3 GIR, 4 out of 7 Fairways, 17 putts.

56 for the back 9

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I feel for you, brother. 15 years ago I had a 10 handicap.......... 3 spine surgeries later, I can barely walk around the block. Debating whether to even try playing in 2020.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I feel for you, brother. 15 years ago I had a 10 handicap.......... 3 spine surgeries later, I can barely walk around the block. Debating whether to even try playing in 2020.
On the bright side, no OB balls all week and no houses hit.

Several Jacque Cousteau balls, though.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I was talking to my Dad yesterday and he has taken over my modified M3 460 Driver I leave in my Florida bag. It confused him a bit as some of my modifications do not lend itself to matching the descriptions of the club online. As with all my drivers, I shortened it which requires some additional head weight for which I chose to add a third adjustable weight increasing the number to three vs the stock two. I also put on a Lamkin Sonar Midsize grip with the plus sizing under the bottom hand which is a bit different than what he is used to. I ran him through the weight configurations and why I have them where they are at and explained how to use the third weight to tweak ball hight and spin a bit.

Apparently, since switching over to the M3, he has been breaking 90 on a regular basis. I am thinking that I am going to have to ship another driver down for my visit in April as my Florida gamer has found a new owner.;)

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I was talking to my Dad yesterday and he has taken over my modified M3 460 Driver I leave in my Florida bag. It confused him a bit as some of my modifications do not lend itself to matching the descriptions of the club online. As with all my drivers, I shortened it which requires some additional head weight for which I chose to add a third adjustable weight increasing the number to three vs the stock two. I also put on a Lamkin Sonar Midsize grip with the plus sizing under the bottom hand which is a bit different than what he is used to. I ran him through the weight configurations and why I have them where they are at and explained how to use the third weight to tweak ball hight and spin a bit.

Apparently, since switching over to the M3, he has been breaking 90 on a regular basis. I am thinking that I am going to have to ship another driver down for my visit in April as my Florida gamer has found a new owner.;)

Love that!

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My clubs are doing great in Florida without me. :D

My Dad has been killing the M3 driver that he has taken over since the beginning of the year. His scores have been dropping and he recently told me he has taken over another one of my clubs that I have in my Florida bag, my duplicate Yes! Carolyne that I built last year. As with most of my clubs, I tend to modify them a bit to get them into my preferred specs.

My history with The Yes! Carolyne dates back to a PGA Merchandise show that I was covering for Shottalk back in the mid-2000’s. There was a display booth for a golf hole simulator (essentially a light beam the size of the golf hole that detected whether the ball would go in or not) that was running a putting contest. They had borrowed a bunch of putters from the Yes! folks at the show and when I went to select a putter (was using a Scotty Newport 2 at the time) they did not have the Yes! version of the Newport 2 in anything but 35 inches long. The closest they had in my preferred length of 33 inches was the Carolyne which is a center shafted blade. Armed with the Carolyne, I started my run and finished up tied with the highest score, I could not miss with it. The next day they ran a playoff for those tied at the top so I grabbed the Carolyne again and tied the top score, again. After the playoff, there were more folks tied at the top than prizes and I ended up losing in a drawing.

I was so impressed with the Carolyne that I literally ran over to the Yes! booth to see if I could buy the putter after the show was over. While they would not sell me the demo, the guy gave me his card and told me to email him an he would ship a new one to me from the factory for show pricing of $50. Once I received it, I pulled the shaft and inserted a UST Frequency Filtered shaft and added a 100 gram back weight. Unfortunately, it never really found a place in my bag as I had run into a Heavy Putter guy doing putter fittings at my local Golfsmith and ended up shifting into heavier putters that were centered shafted. The downside of the Yes! Carolyne was that it was fairly light and not easy to add weight to elegantly, so it ended up in the stack of putters in the corner.

Fast forward a decade or so, and I started messing around with my putter collection after struggling on the greens at golf course at my parents house. The Yes! Carolyne performed well so I bought a used one, modified it to my specs, and sent it down to Florida to put in my Florida bag. It worked well within 10 feet, but my distance control on longer putts was horrible, so I started experimenting, again. It did not sit for long as my Dad started experimenting with it and started making more putts.

The biggest irony of my Dad taking over the Yes! Carolyne is that the putter he had been using was the same Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 that I was using when I switched to the Carolyne. I had given him the Scotty when he started playing golf as I have a few Newport 2’s in my collection and he needed a putter.

I just bought a used Scotty Red X2 (to match the one in my collection) that I am going to modify, shorten the shaft, add weight, and regrip with back weighting for the purpose of sending down to my Florida bag. If my Dad follows my putter progression, I have a feeling the Red X2 will not be in my Florida bag for too long. ;)

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
My clubs are doing great in Florida without me. :D

My Dad has been killing the M3 driver that he has taken over since the beginning of the year. His scores have been dropping and he recently told me he has taken over another one of my clubs that I have in my Florida bag, my duplicate Yes! Carolyne that I built last year. As with most of my clubs, I tend to modify them a bit to get them into my preferred specs.

My history with The Yes! Carolyne dates back to a PGA Merchandise show that I was covering for Shottalk back in the mid-2000’s. There was a display booth for a golf hole simulator (essentially a light beam the size of the golf hole that detected whether the ball would go in or not) that was running a putting contest. They had borrowed a bunch of putters from the Yes! folks at the show and when I went to select a putter (was using a Scotty Newport 2 at the time) they did not have the Yes! version of the Newport 2 in anything but 35 inches long. The closest they had in my preferred length of 33 inches was the Carolyne which is a center shafted blade. Armed with the Carolyne, I started my run and finished up tied with the highest score, I could not miss with it. The next day they ran a playoff for those tied at the top so I grabbed the Carolyne again and tied the top score, again. After the playoff, there were more folks tied at the top than prizes and I ended up losing in a drawing.

I was so impressed with the Carolyne that I literally ran over to the Yes! booth to see if I could buy the putter after the show was over. While they would not sell me the demo, the guy gave me his card and told me to email him an he would ship a new one to me from the factory for show pricing of $50. Once I received it, I pulled the shaft and inserted a UST Frequency Filtered shaft and added a 100 gram back weight. Unfortunately, it never really found a place in my bag as I had run into a Heavy Putter guy doing putter fittings at my local Golfsmith and ended up shifting into heavier putters that were centered shafted. The downside of the Yes! Carolyne was that it was fairly light and not easy to add weight to elegantly, so it ended up in the stack of putters in the corner.

Fast forward a decade or so, and I started messing around with my putter collection after struggling on the greens at golf course at my parents house. The Yes! Carolyne performed well so I bought a used one, modified it to my specs, and sent it down to Florida to put in my Florida bag. It worked well within 10 feet, but my distance control on longer putts was horrible, so I started experimenting, again. It did not sit for long as my Dad started experimenting with it and started making more putts.

The biggest irony of my Dad taking over the Yes! Carolyne is that the putter he had been using was the same Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 that I was using when I switched to the Carolyne. I had given him the Scotty when he started playing golf as I have a few Newport 2’s in my collection and he needed a putter.

I just bought a used Scotty Red X2 (to match the one in my collection) that I am going to modify, shorten the shaft, add weight, and regrip with back weighting for the purpose of sending down to my Florida bag. If my Dad follows my putter progression, I have a feeling the Red X2 will not be in my Florida bag for too long. ;)
Good to hear your Florida bag is thriving in your Dad's hands. :D

🔥 Latest posts