• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Glades (Gold Coast - Australia)

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The South East Queensland area of Australia is a tourist haven and is renowned for world-class golf courses. The Glades, Royal Pines, the Pines at Sanctuary Cove and Hope Island Resort immediately come to mind.

It is my intention to play and review as many of those courses for the good members of Shot Talk who like to travel abroad for their golfing getaways. So, the first cab off the rank was The Glades, a par 72, championship level, Greg Norman designed golf course on the Gold Coast. Glades Golf and Spa on Queensland's Gold Coast

The Glades is a par 72, championship level, Greg Norman designed golf course at Robina on the Gold Coast. Glades Golf and Spa on Queensland's Gold Coast

The Glades is very much a risk/reward course. It rewards the more aggressive golfer (who pulls it off) with a better run to the hole. Although technically a resort course, the Greg Norman influence is apparent, especially around the greens with deep, steep faced bunkers (otherwise known as ‘pot’ bunkers). The bent grass greens are soft, responsive and putt true.

The fairways are couch grass and there are the usual three tee off areas; black tees (championship), gold tees (mens) and platinum tees (ladies). The course manager recommends that the black tees be left to low single markers or professionals.

What did I think?
A very challenging golf course but very enjoyable just the same. It is picturesque with a lot of water and pot bunkers. Although a very challenging golf course, I had a ball.

The course certainly lived up its description. It is picturesque with a lot of water and deep pot bunkers.

I managed to keep my ball dry on all holes but one. The pot bunkers were a different story with a few too many visits, however, it was a great experience being challenged by the most difficult of bunkers.

Overall I rate the course 9 out of 10 and look forward to returning. If you are looking for an enjoyable golfing getaway, Queensland’s glorious Gold Coast will provide you with a platform of great courses to experience. The Glades should be on your must-play list. Make sure you sharpen your deep bunker skills before coming though.

It would be remiss of me if I didn’t thank the General Manager, Paul Lierse and the Golf Operations Manager, Luke Bryden for their assistance.

If you’re coming to Australia, you can probably get cheaper tee-times for The Glades at Online Teetimes Australia | iseekgolf.com.

I took my trusty camera with me to try and provide some perspective of the actual beauty of the course. Hope you enjoy them!!!

-------

First hole (par 4 – 328 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Firsthole.jpg

Second hole (par 4 – 403 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Secondhole.jpg

Third hole (par 3 – 178 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Thirdhole_1.jpg

Fourth hole (par 4 – 332 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Fourthhole.jpg

More photos to come ....

Fifth hole (par 3 – 173 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_FifthHole.jpg
(the signature hole)

Sixth hole (par 5 – 470 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Sixthhole.jpg

Seventh hole (par 5 – 526 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Seventhhole_1.jpg

Eighth hole ( par 4 – 389 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Eighthhole.jpg

Ninth hole (par 4 – 398 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Ninthhole.jpg

Tenth hole (par 4 – 355 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Tenthhole.jpg

Eleventh hole (par 5 – 480 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Eleventhhole.jpg

Twelfth hole (par 5 – 492 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Testpattern.png
(my photographer must’ve been on strike for this hole)

Thirteenth hole (par 3 – 206 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Thirteenthhole.jpg

Fourteenth hole (par 4 – 403 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Testpattern.png
(Oops, the camera was left behind at the tee off area at the 13th hole)

Fifteenth hole (par 4 – 428 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Fifteenthhole_2.jpg

Sixteenth hole (par 4 - 306 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Sixteenthhole.jpg

Seventeenth hole (par 3 – 147 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Seventeenthhole.jpg
(A challenging hole. A lot of 'fear factor' here. Water all down the left.)

Eighteenth hole (par 4 – 417 metres)
ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Eighteenthhole.jpg
(A nice hole to close with as darkness approaches)

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Very cool, True! Are temperatures coming down? Or does the course just require slacks?

Today it was raining in my neck of the woods. Maximum 25 degrees celsius. Much more pleasant than 30+ degree temperatures recently.

When I did the review, I interviewed the Golf Operations Manager about the course before my round, so I needed to at least try and look sharp. :emot-ange My trousers are Nike micofibre, so they're very light and cool anyway.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Nice work True, I'd love to get up there and play some of those resort courses on the Gold Coast. Very nice. Looks like a great course!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Nice work True, I'd love to get up there and play some of those resort courses on the Gold Coast. Very nice. Looks like a great course!

.... and I would like to get down & visit some of your State's sandbelt courses.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Nice review, not so impressed by the course however. Except for the 5th & 8th holes it looks rather dull & uninspiring. I like elevation changes & it doesn't appear this course has any at all.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Nice review, not so impressed by the course however. Except for the 5th & 8th holes it looks rather dull & uninspiring. I like elevation changes & it doesn't appear this course has any at all.

Unfortunately this is a trait of the majority of Australian courses. We have a few top courses that dip and dive and climb but they are a bit of a rarity and are sure as hell nothing like the Ocean course at Kiawah Island!! I like to see a bit of elevation change too but for some reason big 60 yard hills up and down just aren't done a whole lot here in Aus, at least not in my state anyway.

.... and I would like to get down & visit some of your State's sandbelt courses.

Do it! I've played Victoria Golf Club, Huntingdale, Yarra Yarra and Spring Valley to name a few, and walked the hallowed turfs of Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath and Metropolitan. If you ever get the chance to do it, take it up!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Great review, but I have one problem...

I didn't see Kanga...or Roo!

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Wi, I understand your point about the elevation changes. I suppose it's horses for courses. Some people don't like courses that change elevation all of the time. Some others do. It is a picturesque course but it's just hard to do justice with photos. Here is a course guide for those who are interested.

ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_Courselayout.png

Wi, If you like courses with elevation changes there's a Troon course called 'Brookwater' in Brisbane (the city where I live) in Queensland and another called 'Bonville' which is in the town of Coffs Harbour in New South Wales. I'll do a couple of mini threads about them. I've played Brookwater but not Bonville (but would love to).

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Great review, but I have one problem...

I didn't see Kanga...or Roo!

Just for you Jeff, here's a couple of interested spectators at last years Australian PGA Championship held at the Hyatt Coolum Resort.

ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_IMG_2286.jpg

ai451.photobucket.com_albums_qq233_thenewbrad_IMG_2287.jpg

🔥 Latest posts