• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Golf Ball Guide: An Introduction

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
THE GOLF BALL IS THAT ONE INDISPENSABLE piece of equipment needed to play this joyous and maddening game.

© Incursion Voyages
Flickr​
Through the centuries this small ball has undergone dramatic changes in size, construction and performance. And the golf ball has likely generated more talk and emotional outbursts while airborne or rolling than any other ball in any other sport.

Today, for golfers of all abilities, the golf ball is game-improvement equipment. That's right, the golf ball can actually make you better. There are golf balls that can fit your swing speed and match your skill level, helping you minimize your weaknesses and maximize your potential.

Modern golf balls, measuring 1.68 inches in diameter and weighing 1.62 ounces, can be broken into two basic groups. The first group are golf balls that produce less spin and go farther and straighter for the less-skilled golfer. The second group are golf balls that spin more for greater control, geared for the more-skilled golfer.

Distance-oriented golf balls typically have a firmer feel. Spin-oriented golf balls usually have a softer feel.

There are also differences in trajectory. Some balls fly higher. Some lower.

Due to ongoing advancements, there are now many performance variations in golf balls, no matter how they're grouped or categorized. This is great news for anyone who plays golf.

Next time: Golf Ball Construction

Source: The Golf Ball Guide: An Introduction

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
“Distance-oriented golf balls typically have a firmer feel. Spin-oriented golf balls usually have a softer feel.”

Now I know the secret to golf I can die a happy man ...

🔥 Latest posts