• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The good...the bad...and the good again

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
As you know, I just recently broke 100 for the first time. After duplicating it the next day, my game has since hovered just over the 100 mark.

I thought I would meet the challenge again today when I shot 49 on the front nine. Alas, it was not to be...got in trouble a couple of times on the back nine and ended up with a 59. Didn't want to end up on a sour note, so I immediately played the back nine again. Same clubs, same ball, same course, same conditions, same me...shot a 49 on the second time around. Consistent, I am not.

The strange thing is, even with a 10 shot difference over the back nine, I didn't feel as if my game was that different. It all boiled down to a couple of holes. My home course is a 135 slope rating with lots of woods and lots of water. Allmost every shot that is not a putt, has the potential for disaster with little chance of recovery.

Well, as I have said before...tomorrow is another day. :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, here's a winning strategy:

Tomorrow, if you shoot 50 or less, use that 49 from today to make another sub-100, and if you shoot over, erase your bad scores and fill them in with better ones. :)

Seriously, it's funny how huge some strokes seem and how little they are, like the putt that never fell in, but hung an inch off. That's a big stroke.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Seriously, it's funny how huge some strokes seem and how little they are, like the putt that never fell in, but hung an inch off. That's a big stroke.

A 3 foot putt is the same as a 300 yard drive.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Keep at it. As Sandpiper aluded to, short game is important. Keep the ball in play and chip it close, you'll break 100 every time. That is a tough slope too, the good thing is if you can play there you'll be able to play anywhere.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I was actually talking about that the other day, that it's preferable to hit a drive 60 yards offlinebut still in play than to miss a 3 foot putt. You can recover from a bad drive but missed putts are irreparable (sp?)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I was actually talking about that the other day, that it's preferable to hit a drive 60 yards offlinebut still in play than to miss a 3 foot putt. You can recover from a bad drive but missed putts are irreparable (sp?)

I wouldn't go that far. If you hit a drive 60 yards offline, say it goes into the trees, what are your chances at par? Therefore, you've already cost yourself at least one stroke.

Bottom line is, everyone one counts, none more than the other.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I wouldn't go that far. If you hit a drive 60 yards offline, say it goes into the trees, what are your chances at par? Therefore, you've already cost yourself at least one stroke.

Bottom line is, everyone one counts, none more than the other.

Agreed. Keeping the ball in play is key for me. I'll use my recent attempts at #17 at the course I play. It's 399yds. and pretty tight. It's straight up and then goes a little left, woods the whole way. Get in there and there is no shot but a pitch back out. I can hit driver/PW but it's risky, I pulled one and had to pull off a massive drawing 5W to get close enough for a chip and a miracle par. I hit 3W-8iron, maybe the best choice, and made an easy par. Then the last time I hit 5W-6iron(2 fades), another good choice, another easy par. There are some holes I just need to play for par, this is one of them.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, here's the tricky part about Paako Ridge(holding about a 4.7 handicap there). If you go outside of rough and into trees, you won't hit any GIR, and if you do, you can work the ball like Tiger and none other. Worse, it's slope is 132 and plays 7579 from the tips.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
Well, here's the tricky part about Paako Ridge(holding about a 4.7 handicap there). If you go outside of rough and into trees, you won't hit any GIR, and if you do, you can work the ball like Tiger and none other. Worse, it's slope is 132 and plays 7579 from the tips.

I literally just read about Paako Ridge in Golf magazine (the one with the "AJ Bonar Magic Move")... Looks like a really nice course.

I am going to be in Albuquerque tonight through Thursday night, but have ZERO time for golf. D'OH!!!!!!!!!:(

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Seriously Josh? You HAVE to make time, we can play someplace on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, make it!

Paako Ridge is a great course, almost worth the cost in my eyes...almost.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
Seriously Josh? You HAVE to make time, we can play someplace on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning, make it!

Paako Ridge is a great course, almost worth the cost in my eyes...almost.

Jeff,
I SERIOUSLY wish I could. I am teaching 8-hour courses (today done) Wednesday and Thursday, with plans to take my customer out to dinner Wednesday night and leaving Thursday night. But I swear that next time I come down here we will get together...

If you don't mind me asking, does PaaKo Ridge have a deal for students in the area for a home club or something? You mention that it is almost worth the cost, so I imagine that you are paying something...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Jeff,
I SERIOUSLY wish I could. I am teaching 8-hour courses (today done) Wednesday and Thursday, with plans to take my customer out to dinner Wednesday night and leaving Thursday night. But I swear that next time I come down here we will get together...

If you don't mind me asking, does PaaKo Ridge have a deal for students in the area for a home club or something? You mention that it is almost worth the cost, so I imagine that you are paying something...

No deals, only a junior and senior deal.

Walking, almost 60, riding, 80 some.

It's beautiful, challenging, well designer(Pete Dye), and amazing. But honestly, I'm a quick golfer(alone only about 3 hours), I walk, I take great care of the course, and don't chew up that much grass because of less strokes. How can I possibly justify paying 50 dollars when in town, my home course has hosted Tiger, Phil, and lots of others and it's only 17. Also all the public courses are 17(walking on both).

Even better, Sandia Golf Course, Santa Ana, and Isleta are all below 40(below 30 for some for twilight which is past 2 P.M.), and are all amazing scenic courses.

Anywho, next time your out, I would look forward to playing a round or two.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
I saw some ads for Isleta in the airport. Looks like a beautiful course. Really only around $30? That is crazy. You can barely find a course worth playing in Portland or Vancouver for less than $40...

Definitely will give you a PM when I plan the next trip to ABQ...
Josh

Members online