• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Great Gun Debate

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Being a voluntary military, if it really got to the point of a real uprising, I doubt seriously that the military would even act against it's own people even if ordered by any president. The members of the military are the people too, and this is not a totalitarian dictatorship. The members of our military don't have to worry about being slaughtered for refusing to kill it's own citizens.

I agree Bob and that's why I said I would never rule anything out, you never know what will happen if enough people get fed up and pissed off enough.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I agree Bob and that's why I said I would never rule anything out, you never know what will happen if enough people get fed up and pissed off enough.
We may find out what's going to happen to gun ownership in this country, I think enough people are fed up and pissed off now.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm still curious why she had them in one of the safest areas if the country.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
W
I'm still curious why she had them in one of the safest areas if the country.
Why, what difference does it make? I own guns and we live in an area of zero crime, my wife feels better having them because she watches those crime stories on tv where it's always "small town america" where the bad stuff happens.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Yes, lets make something that's already illegal, more illegal. That's not a rational thought process.

They broke the law. Lets make a law that makes it illegal to break the law....That will stop them!

Clearly you didn't bother to read either of the links I provided earlier regarding how Japan and Australia dealt with this issue, probably because it makes your argument weaker if you look at actual facts. You just keep your head buried in the sand while lunatics go on periodic rampages and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Neither of you has responded to my very simple question, probably because it is difficult to argue against, but IF THERE ARE FEWER GUNS, WOULD THIS NOT MEAN THAT THERE IS LESS GUN CRIME? I await your response (please bear in mind that in my next post be asking you to put a value on the life of a single child)

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Clearly you didn't bother to read either of the links I provided earlier regarding how Japan and Australia dealt with this issue, probably because it makes your argument weaker if you look at actual facts. You just keep your head buried in the sand while lunatics go on periodic rampages and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Neither of you has responded to my very simple question, probably because it is difficult to argue against, but IF THERE ARE FEWER GUNS, WOULD THIS NOT MEAN THAT THERE IS LESS GUN CRIME? I await your response (please bear in mind that in my next post be asking you to put a value on the life of a single child)

If there were absolutely no guns there would be less gun crime. Until then all you do is disarm law abiding citizens by legislating against guns. If you could promise zero gun crime after a ban i would think about it. You can't.

There's still the issue of rights and freedom. The life of a child is no more or less valuable than any other life. Using children as emotional leverage doesn't work in logical debate. This is absolutely a tragedy, I feel sick that this happened. Its still not the guns fault.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
It doesn't, that's why I said I was curious. Those are serious guns for your typical woman. Granted I have read next to nothing about her.
I guess I could see it that way. or she just had really good taste in defensive weapon systems.

She should have made sure they weren't accessible though. Especially since her son had known issues.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Using children as emotional leverage doesn't work in logical debate. This is absolutely a tragedy, I feel sick that this happened. Its still not the guns fault.

I agree with you 100%...but I fear the emotional factor in this case will sway lawmakers. This tragedy really crushed the hearts of Americans. My son is in kindergarten and words can't express how I felt when I heard the story. I don't see how this won't weigh heavily in lawmakers decisions...and that scares me.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I agree with you 100%...but I fear the emotional factor in this case will sway lawmakers. This tragedy really crushed the hearts of Americans. My son is in kindergarten and words can't express how I felt when I heard the story. I don't see how this won't weigh heavily in lawmakers decisions...and that scares me.
Definitely agree with you.

Scary for sure. Law makers have been thinking emotionally for a while, and they keep getting voted in. Just promise free stuff, get voted in.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

And you never responded when I asked if you had ever heard of the Norway killer, hell he killed 3x the people in a country with gun control.

Don't forget we are the country that did indeed put a price on peoples lives. How many innocent japanese citizens did we kill in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in order to stop more bloodshed and a prolonged war? Freedom has always come at a cost of lives, funny how you a non american will rail against this yet we have untold thousands and thousands of deaths in Iraq and Afghanastan in a war that's needless and has been from the beginning. You want to sign up for a cause how about stopping the bloodshed there? or is not worth your time?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
There was nothing condescending about that comment. Nothing. You admitted you're ignorant of the current laws, I suggested that you educate yourself.

How are we supposed to have an educated debate when people refuse to educate themselves?

Also, those pistols take magazines, not clips.
Whoa whoa whoa.... this is supposed to be an educated debate? I just came here to argue!

🔥 Latest posts