• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Great Gun Debate

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I just want to put it out there that I am a gun owner and I am not advocating an all out ban. I am just trying to point out that America does have a problem and it seems that the pro-gun side has no solution to it, other than to say give people more guns. Put guns in our school. Etc etc.

Can someone tell me why you need an AR-15 with a high capacity magazine? I love the guns but all they are used for is tactical killing. It's why our military uses the equivalent. The 20 year old kid that shot all those kids was using one. He was also wearing tactical gear. How much firepower are we going to give our teachers? Our movie theatre workers? Our mall employees?
The second amendment doesn't require the citizens of this country to need a weapon to own it. Meaning nobody needs to explain why they own the weapons they do.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Id like to point out that it would be very easy to kill a room full of people without a gun. For less than a hundred bucks some freak could make a nail bomb in a book bag. Just sayin.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Id like to point out that it would be very easy to kill a room full of people without a gun. For less than a hundred bucks some freak could make a nail bomb in a book bag. Just sayin.
Already brought it up, it was dismissed as usual. Because bombs aren't powerful enough and most people don't know how...according to opinion here anyway.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005

But the sickos who 'snap' psychologically aren't interested in that, they want to be part of it - everyone that's why I posted links to info about how many US citizens are in psychotherapy a few pages back.

The crux of the matter is that if I was having this discussion face to face with some of you and I was the most obnoxious, and liberal left wing person you'd met, how much of me irritating you right in your face would it take before you considered pulling out your gun? In essence, I don't trust anyone with a gun who isn't in a military uniform (and supposed to be, I say that before u make any glib remarks about nutters dressed in camo' gear)

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
Yes people make bombs. The people who shot up Columbine actually made them. They failed. Their guns didn't.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
But the sickos who 'snap' psychologically aren't interested in that, they want to be part of it - everyone that's why I posted links to info about how many US citizens are in psychotherapy a few pages back.

The crux of the matter is that if I was having this discussion face to face with some of you and I was the most obnoxious, and liberal left wing person you'd met, how much of me irritating you right in your face would it take before you considered pulling out your gun? In essence, I don't trust anyone with a gun who isn't in a military uniform (and supposed to be, I say that before u make any glib remarks about nutters dressed in camo' gear)
Wow. You have serious trust issues.

I work with some extremely liberal people. I do not hate them, I would never pull out my weapon out of anger. Its a tool to protect myself and mine. Don't threaten my life, which you as an upstanding member of society would never do, and you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You could spit in my face, call my mother a whore, and I won't do a thing. Not boasting, I and the vast majority of gun owners take it very seriously.

I understand you don't like guns. You don't have to like them, just understand that not everyone with a gun is a criminal. I've met many people on this board, I would bet anything every single one of them would vouch for me. Im just as normal as you.

I offer to introduce anyone to guns. At my own expense with ammo and range fees. Every single person i have taken to the range has come out having a lot of fun. Several were staunch liberal anti gun. They still won't own one, but are far more open to them once hey realize what they are and have handled a few.

I offer that to you as well English. If you ever find yourself in Wisconsin and think you want to try it out once. You owe it to yourself to at least try it. Its a lot of fun.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I'm not posting this image to incite, more to stimulate (hopefully) sensible discussion.

afbcdn_sphotos_b_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_ash4_380335_204794686312177_188186840_n.jpg

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I just watched the news conference with the medical examiner who confirmed several times that it was the long rifle. He even answered a question with a description of the what that bullet does by design.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country

I would be a fool to argue with you. So I'll keep my mouth shut.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I'm not posting this image to incite, more to stimulate (hopefully) sensible discussion.

afbcdn_sphotos_b_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_ash4_380335_204794686312177_188186840_n.jpg
And how many were suicides? How many were gang on gang violence? How many were self defense shootings? How many were ruled accidental?

Propaganda photo's and numbers are typically horse hockey. I don't believe for a second it wasn't posted to incite. Those numbers are worthless without knowing where they come from and how they were obtained.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
To put things from another perspective, it's illegal for a person to operate a motor vehicle after consuming a rather small amount of alcohol - so what's to stop them pulling a gun on the first person that upsets them in their inebriated state? These things are life takers, what place do they have in day to day civilized society?

Furthermore, if you close your eyes and imagine a utopian future in a few hundred years, do you still imagine people armed? Or do you visualise everyone getting on? I carefully chose the word "utopian" so as to get you to imagine the best possible world you are able to, so please don't try to twist it to mean anything negative.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
To put things from another perspective, it's illegal for a person to operate a motor vehicle after consuming a rather small amount of alcohol - so what's to stop them pulling a gun on the first person that upsets them in their inebriated state? These things are life takers, what place do they have in day to day civilized society?

Furthermore, if you close your eyes and imagine a utopian future in a few hundred years, do you still imagine people armed? Or do you visualise everyone getting on? I carefully chose the word "utopian" so as to get you to imagine the best possible world you are able to, so please don't try to twist it to mean anything negative.

My utopia still involves guns. They're a hobby of mine that I enjoy very much. Just like fishing, golf, motorcycles, etc. Some of my best memories involves shooting guns(including semi-auto as you call them 'assault' type weapons) with my family. They have been a part of my life since I was very young. I wouldn't give them up for anything.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
[quoteclark53520, post: 381550, member: 3701"]My utopia still involves guns. They're a hobby of mine that I enjoy very much. Just like fishing, golf, motorcycles, etc. Some of my best memories involves shooting guns(including semi-auto as you call them 'assault' type weapons) with my family. They have been a part of my life since I was very young. I wouldn't give them up for anything.[/quote]

What would be wrong with them being kept at rifle ranges? (I'm trying to meet you half way ;-).)

🔥 Latest posts