• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Great Gun Debate

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
I disagree. I feel the problem is the lack of focus on the real problem at hand.

Me too. Call your Senators and Representatives and let them know that the War on Drugs is a failure and that it only breeds violence that almost always results in the use of a firearm.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I wonder how obnoxious someone would have to be before the pro gun lot would consider using it. I mean if they were right up in your face telling you how wrong you are, how ignorant, how stubborn and how simple minded you appear. Just imagine it, they're getting all animated about it - but not in a threatening way. Imagine your friends were there too and this person just talked over you every time you tried to make your counter argument. And what if they even pushedyou physically ?

I think that if it was on your hip and some mouthy Piers Morgan-like gobsh1te was embarrassing you, then you'dbe considering it .

Personally I'd be considering punching them in the face, but that would be the worst and most violent thing that I could consider let alone do. Unfortunately in life there are a huge number of morons, but what's even worse is that many of them have guns.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I wonder how obnoxious someone would have to be before the pro gun lot would consider using it. I mean if they were right up in your face telling you how wrong you are, how ignorant, how stubborn and how simple minded you appear. Just imagine it, they're getting all animated about it - but not in a threatening way. Imagine your friends were there too and this person just talked over you every time you tried to make your counter argument. And what if they even pushedyou physically ?

I think that if it was on your hip and some mouthy Piers Morgan-like gobsh1te was embarrassing you, then you'dbe considering it .

Personally I'd be considering punching them in the face, but that would be the worst and most violent thing that I could consider let alone do. Unfortunately in life there are a huge number of morons, but what's even worse is that many of them have guns.
This post is completely ridiculous.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Wow-----Zaphod has not visited this site in quite a while.....The gun debate still rages....Twilight zone...Time stands still.

Anyway Zaphod's $.02.

The most precious thing for Zaphod is personal liberty.
Zaphod is quite fortunate to be created and reside within a country in which Zaphod's follow citizens also hold liberty exalted. However the price Zaphod pays is quite dear. Zaphod can not lock up those who Zaphod MIGHT fear. Recognition of some form of self preservation is paramount. Zaphod's primary brain has self preservation genetically embedded deep within.

Some live in gated communities, some concealed carry, some choose to live within the perceived dangers unarmed etc.

The point is the more personal freedom we desire the more freedom we give to others. Potentially dangerous others!!!! The restrictions heaped foisted upon others are the very choices heaped upon ourselves.

Gun legislation that will remain relevant must reflect the MORALITY of the super majority. Until peer pressure reaches a critical mass the weapon laws on the books, like an unpopular posted speed limit , are ignored. Rationalization will prevail.

Zaphod owns six hunting guns and pistols.
Zaphod lives in a rural situation. Zaphod generally has a belief of good in people. Zaphod is quite at ease. HOWEVER the situations of others is not as pleasant. Real or not, the perceived dangers drive others to different life choices.

Zaphod hopes that those who fear others and MAY react to threats in a deadly fashion, have already thought through the actions of self preservation. Those actions are not revokable. Zaphod uses the Zimmerman case as an example. Justified shooting...maybe as events acted out by each party were perceived as counter threats ....but could that situation have been defused by a particular party thoughtfully reflecting weeks prior to conducting an armed patrol. With great power comes great responsibility. Zaphod telepathically gave that line to Stan Lee.

IS ZAPHOD'S PRECONCEPTION THE EARTH MUST BE CLEANSED CORRECT?

Is Zaphod willing to fatally judge the actions of others?The decision to procure a weapon requires both sides of the equation must be carefully self evaluated. If we all seriously consider that question then Zaphod would allow grenades, RPG's, Star Trek phasers etc to be authorized household items. Nuclear and Biological weapons would require specialized training A world wide super majority consent for each request. Lots of red tape included.:cool: Until then Zaphod recognizes individual choice.

WHY IS EVERYONE CRAZY BUT ZAPHOD.

The argument of compulsory diagnosis and treatment of mental illness is loaded with liberty/safety tensions. Until a satisfactory methodology of societal destructive mental abnormality diagnosis that is true and predictive,rather than reactionary, is developed individuals with thought processes that are not within the general public's sense of normal MUST be tolerated. ASK " does the plurality trample upon the minority within a liberty oriented society. Is that true liberty or simply a rationalized totalitarianism?

Choose Wisely.

Somewhere in the discussion the media was question....
Zaphod is in agreement with the earthling named Ben Franklin. When given the choice of Democracy or Freedom of the Press, Zaphod chooses the latter.

Re reading this post Zaphod's conclusion is RON PAUL has many things right. A Epiphany for Zaphod. :cool:

ZAPHOD REQUESTS RESPONSES
ZAPHOD IS ALWAYS TRYING TO REFINE ZAPHOD'S BELIEF SYSTEM. PLEASE. THIS IS YOUR SHOT AT HELPING ZAPHOD TO EVOLVE FROM AN ARGUABLY CUTE MARTIAN EMPERUS INTO HOMO SAPIENS.

PLEASE NOTE THE SELF PORTRAIT OF ZAPHOD'S AVATAR. WHAT IS IN ZAPHOD'S HAND????

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
Well that was interesting. I voted for Ron Paul but find some of his ideas far out there. I mostly voted for him because I considered him honest and caring person. I would have liked to see what he could have done with the current congress.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Well that was interesting. I voted for Ron Paul but find some of his ideas far out there. I mostly voted for him because I considered him honest and caring person. I would have liked to see what he could have done with the current congress.
See, you're still a newb... you don't know Zaphod.

I am and will be a part of the Ron Paul revolution. I don't think his ideas are far out at all... it's everyone else that's far out. I voted Libertarian (which is pretty much what Ron Paul is).

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
dogfish...ZAPHOD has been here awhile. WarbirdLover, Sssmokin, Mike1243 (Jake), WiGolfer, ETC formed the first three Wisconsin SHOTTALK OPENS. ZAPHOD lurks in central Wisconsin 20 miles north of Wisconsin Dells.

Zaphods presumes Milwaukee/Racine has survived the exodus of WBL (JERRY). I have not talked to him in ages. Also miss Jeff4i. Assume he still exists in New Mexico. eClark is Zaphod's rock. His opinions and posts always interesting. Zaphod met Clark at 1st Erin Glen open.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Dogfish.....Thanks for the interesting comment. That's what Zaphod was looking for. Discussion, musing amongst a round table of robust opinion.

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
See, you're still a newb... you don't know Zaphod.

I am and will be a part of the Ron Paul revolution. I don't think his ideas are far out at all... it's everyone else that's far out. I voted Libertarian (which is pretty much what Ron Paul is).

Well, I agree with the majority of what he says but I think the ways he has gone about getting his views out hurt him more than help him. His views on foreign policy are too blunt and easy to view as isolationist.

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
Well, I agree with the majority of what he says but I think the ways he has gone about getting his views out hurt him more than help him. His views on foreign policy are too blunt and easy to view as isolationist.

To further expand, Ron Paul is like Richard Dawkins. He is too barbed with his words and his opinions and has no grasp on how to work his audience that he is trying to convince.

This video of Niel Tyson talking to Richard Dawkins will hopefully put it into perspective.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I don't know man. I don't think there is any other way to go about what he is trying to say other than to just say it. That's what I like. No hot air... he calls bull$hit when he sees it. It's not his fault that he sees it everywhere he looks. The question is when is everyone else going to wake up and see that what he's saying is just true. After the $hit hits the fan like he says it's going to if we stay on the path we're on now? The reason his approach hurts him is because people don't want to hear that they actually have to make life decisions for themselves... and be accountable for them. That's where this country is at. They don't view retirement as something they can and should control privately, they just get scared that social security wont be there so they want all these big gov. band aids. I don't see how anyone who wants to have control over his/her own life could not vote that way. There is nothing scary about Ron Paul, however I find almost everyone in the two major parties and anyone who supports them to be a bit scary. His foreign policy is one of the things I like most. Again, how can anyone actually be for what we're doing now? Unreal.

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country

Maybe it seems rash, but look at how people come at him. He talks truth and gets looked at like a dog with 3 legs and 1 eye.

See my rebuttal on Richard Dawkins. Being blunt and upfront just does not work. You have to respect a curve of understanding amongst people that you disagree with.

Ron Paul became popular because the major two parties completely suck at everything they do. He was the guy that called them out. But he still didn't offer a solution because he was put in a spot where the United States of America has reduced itself to two political parties.

Ross Perot did the same thing in the 90's expect he had the money. Every time you vote for a Republican or Democrat President in this country, you screw this country. Our two party system breeds hate and solves nothing.

I love Ron Paul because he spoke up and confronted the two party system. When I voted for President, I voted for Gary Johnson because of the same ideals. I just can not support either party in this political atmosphere.

🔥 Latest posts