• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Handshake Might Make a Comeback at the Memorial Tournament, Host Jack Nicklaus Will...

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
Embed from Getty Images

THE HEARTFELT HANDSHAKE WITH THE WINNER. It's a 45-year tradtion that Memorial Tournament host Jack Nicklaus wants to keep alive this year.

Even during a global pandemic. Even though the PGA Tour has asked players to NOT shake hands, and to follow other strict guidelines to curtail the spread of COVID-19.

From Bob Harig's report at ESPN Golf:
"I'm going to shake their hand. I going to walk right out there and shake your hand," Nicklaus said during a virtual news conference at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio. "If they don't want to shake my hand, that's fine. I'll give them a fist bump or an elbow bump, but I'm not going to give them COVID-19, so that's -- I wouldn't put anybody in that position. I wouldn't do that, and if I was in any danger of doing that, I wouldn't shake their hands.
"And incidentally, I like shaking their hand, too. I think that's a great tradition, but it was as much fun for me as I hope it is for them."​
As some have commented, this probably isn't that big a deal. But I think Jack would be wise and show leadership by coming up with a new way to personally acknowledge the winner. Something different than the traditional handshake.

As Jack said in the below PSA, "Let's just be smart."

My friend @jacknicklaus wanted to share an important message: we need to be smart, be safe, be careful where we go. DON’T TAKE A CHANCE.

Our seniors are the most vulnerable population, but young people can get infected and spread the virus. #CoronaVirusUpdates pic.twitter.com/gcrV6rNtRQ
— Rick Scott (@SenRickScott) March 15, 2020

(H/T Geoff Shackelford)

Source: The Handshake Might Make a Comeback at the Memorial Tournament, Host Jack Nicklaus Will Extend His Hand to Winner

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.