• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Home Course, second edition (pics)

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Just a couple more holes for you to peruse/ignore. :)

This is #2...Slight dogleg left...Par 4...374 yds from whites...rated 7th most difficult.
ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000061.jpg

From the tee box. The preferred landing area is the elevated plateau in the brighter sunlight at the center of the picture. It is better to be right than left; or you will have to contend with the treeline on your second shot. The green is behind the point of trees, just left of the bunker.

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000062.jpg

After a decent tee shot, this is the view you have for your approach to the green. Err to the left and you have tree problems. Push it right and you have the bunker. If you over club and fly the green you will either end up in the woods or my back yard. Yes, that's my house peeking through the trees. Any doubt about the origin of my screen name?

Next is #3...Par 5...543 yds from the whites...rated 9th most difficult. Almost straightaway, deceptively easy looking hole which often doesn't play that way.
ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000065.jpg

View from the white tees. Not much decision making needed here...just rear back and hit it as long as you can...preferably in the fairway.

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000066.jpg

You're ready for your second shot now. Still have some work to do...the flag is still a long way down there. Once again, long and straight is the preferred shot. Those who slice the ball will often become intimate with the trees which encroach upon the right side of the fairway.

ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_P1000067.jpg

You're almost there. Simply avoid the trees on the left, the bunkers on the right; and drop it on the elevated green for your GIR. Just don't fly the green...the woods behind the green are pretty thick.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Lots of tight fairways. What is the name of the course....nice looking.

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
The course is called Woodland Hills. Located in Midland, GA (a few miles north of Columbus).

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I like it...never heard of it before now...looks to be in great shape. We are in a bad drought here and some of our courses are a bit brown....

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I like it...never heard of it before now...looks to be in great shape. We are in a bad drought here and some of our courses are a bit brown....

Not many people have heard of it, unless they live in this area. It was built at the same time the subdivision was developed. I think the original intent was for it to be a private course for the homeowners. That didn't turn out to be economically feasible, so it is now a public course. It is a Lisa Maki designed course.

The drought has also affected us. You may notice that the grass is kind of shaggy in some of the pictures. The grounds keeper told me that they are intentionally letting it grow longer to lessen the effects of the drought. The course actually looked much better today than it did a few weeks ago when the pictures were made.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I can see that Georgia clay on a couple of holes....how much are the greens fees??

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
The green fees are kind of a standing joke around here since they seem to vary with the mood of the manager. It's sort of like playing the lottery. :) The most common numbers are $25 for weekdays and $30 for weekend (both include cart). On any given day, you may end up paying less...but, never more. Occasionally, they run a manager's special for $1 per hole.

You will be paying strictly for golf, since the amenities here go lacking. The developers ran out of money before the planned club house could be constructed. Currently, the club house consists of a modest modular building; and only offers the basics such as beer, soft drinks, and microwavable sandwiches. We did get new Yamaha carts in June, though.

🔥 Latest posts