• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The House That Rick Built: Golf Lodging Reimagined

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
WHILE THE GOLF ITSELF WAS USUALLY great, the lodging for golf trips often left something to be desired. This was the observation of Rick Oster, a TV advertising executive living in Southern California in the mid ‘00s. (If you go on golf trips, there’s a good chance you’ve had similar experiences.)

Rick Oster and family.​
“The reason I go on trips with friends is to be together,” Rick says. “I became increasingly frustrated by the lodging choices at golf resorts.”

Rick noticed that those choices typically fell into a few categories. For example, hotels separated Rick from others in his group. There wasn’t any private, built-in space to socialize. Vacation rental homes were good in theory, but finding one that comfortably accommodated a group of eight golfers was difficult at best. And, while certainly nice or even luxurious, hotel suites or cottages were often ridiculously expensive.

Rick came to a conclusion. “I realized the type of experience I was searching for didn’t exist. So I decided to create it myself.” It was a personal turning point, although he didn’t know it at the time.

In 2005, in his house in Los Angeles, Rick pulled up a chair and got out a blank sheet of paper. “I asked myself one question,” he says. “If I were to design a home specifically for golfers on a buddies trip, what would I include in that home?”

Here’s what Rick jotted down that day:

Living area – large, open concept, plenty of room to hang out, pool table, big plasma TV, table for eight to play cards, fully equipped modern kitchen.

Bedrooms – four big master suites, two queen-sized beds in each, plush mattresses, plasma TV, attached bathrooms with walk-in showers, granite vanity for two.

Outside – large patio with seating for eight, fire pit, stainless steel grill, putting green.

Services – offer services like an upscale hotel: private chef, grocery shopping, massage therapists, more.

Rick’s “dream” became a set of blueprints two years later. Not long after, his first golf house was built near Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, the famous destination on the southern Oregon Coast. “It was a huge success,” he says. “I didn’t realize it but a business was born.”

A few more years went by with Rick feeling unfulfilled in the corporate world until he “found the courage” to pursue his dream on a fulltime basis. That dream now had a name: Oster Golf Houses. Rick began a nationwide search for an ideal location to build his unique golf houses. That search took him to Alabama and the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, where, he says, “everyone was a pleasure to work with.”

Today, there are three Oster Golf Houses on the Trail – one house at Oxmoor Valley in Birmingham, and two houses sitting side-by-side with a putting green in between at Capitol Hill in Prattville.

“We’ve made continuous improvements to our homes and strive to provide the best lodging experience at a reasonable price,” Rick says.

Preview the Prattville Houses

One of two Prattville houses.​
Comfortably accommodating eight people each, the two Prattville houses are side-by-side and located just 200 yards from the entrance gate of The Legislator course at Capitol Hill. This pair of Oster Golf Houses overlook the golf course and share a putting green. The houses can be reserved together or individually. Explore the floor plans, amenities, rates and reviews, plus view images and take a video tour (click here).

Sponsored by Oster Golf Houses.

Source: The House That Rick Built: Golf Lodging Reimagined

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online