• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes; Orlando Area

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Just got back from visiting family in Orlando area. My Brother in law happens to be a member at Heathrow CC and got me on as a guest at The Legacy Club.

First off, this is my first private golf course experience and it was pretty great. The course itself wasn't incredibly difficult in my opinion, the whites played about 6300ish I believe. From the tips, from what I recall of the scorecard it was slightly over 7000. The clubhouse was beautiful. The staff were very nice. Driving range, pitching, putting and practice areas were above average.

Difficulty was manageable. This coming from a guy that lives in Wisconsin, hasn't played a serious round of golf other than scrambles in two years, and using a borrowed set of clubs from a guy that's 6 full inches taller than I. So I'm guessing most seasoned golfers are going to find this course easy. I don't know my actual score, because we played a betting game they usually play so they scored the round in their own format. However, they owed me $8 at the end of the round, so I did better than a couple of Floridians that play semi-regularly. I think my worst hole was a quad 8 after hitting my first drive OB. 3 pars, 1 birdie, quite a few bogies with at least two triples and that quad in there to keep me humble. So if I had to guess my score I would have been mid/upper 90's. I don't think I hit 100.

Course condition as very good. Greens were fantastic and rolled very consistently from start to finish. Not super fast, were actually slower than I as expecting. Fairways were well groomed and nicely striped. Rough was visibly different than the fairway but not punishing at all. Traps were well groomed and fluffy other than some wet spots that were hard panned. The only complaint I have is the front was quite soggy. Most of my drives would make a deep mark in the fairway and pop back about 6" and sit there right where it landed full of mud. Swings that landed fat were not productive at all. Luckily I was hitting a lot of thin line drives this day.

Most of the holes are fairly straight and being a Florida course, there's not much as far as elevation change, but it wasn't dead flat either. Lots of trees and foliage lined the fairways with significant amount of both fairway and greenside bunkers. Most of which are very well placed to catch the slicers errant shots. No significant forced carries over hazards from the whites and in my opinion, those forced carries shouldn't be an issue for guys playing the tips either. There was plenty of water about to soak up balls though. The doglegs were few and manageable.

Several 400+ yard par 4s, however, the greens are quite large, so hitting the greens was semi-easy. Should be quite a few two put pars for players better than I. The par 5's didn't strike me as significantly long either. I was never hitting a long iron into any greens unless I screwed up. My driver was actually pretty good during this round and most of the par 4's are plenty open enough to hit driver. Only one or two holes looked tight enough in the landing zone to make me hit an iron off the tee.

Par 3's were varied in length and usually well bunkered. On the second hole I hit an 8i to a lasered 151yds pin and put it inside 2'. Tapped in for birdie which was my highlight of the round. Second place was a chip from a precariously perched ball in the lip of a very steep bunker face of a greenside trap. I had one foot in, one foot out, and hitting the ball that was almost at my waist. I put that ball inside a foot to the pin and saved par.

Most holes have homes visible from the course, however, very few holes have homes that are right next to the course layout. They're usually a ways off. Couple of places you drive right next to back yards though when moving between holes. A good mix of rural and urban golf at this course even though the entire course is laid out through a neighborhood/gated community.

Cart girl was a little on the slow side and we only saw her once on the back 9, which was the only thing disappointing about the beer cart...I'll leave it at that. This was a weekday however, and off what would normally be considered 'peak' hours so, this is expected.

The club house was fantastic. A nice slate pool table, comfortable padded chairs, large tables, lots of golf memorabilia about, and the bar had plenty to choose from. Free hotdogs that were damn good as far as hotdogs are concerned on the turn. We didn't eat there, just stopped in for a jack and coke while we went over the score cards.

Overall I was very impressed and would be happy to play here again.

🔥 Latest posts