• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The lesser of two evils at Ryder cup?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Surfing the tube, came accross this two headed monster called the Ryder Cup.

Not only is the golf and format terrible but i have to listen to that fool Johnny Miller "tell it like it is".

Weak.

There's gotta be something better on. What other tournament is on this weekend?

R35

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I wish.

All I can say about the Saturday matches is:

SMOKED.

R35

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
Surfing the tube, came accross this two headed monster called the Ryder Cup.

Not only is the golf and format terrible but i have to listen to that fool Johnny Miller "tell it like it is".

Weak.

There's gotta be something better on. What other tournament is on this weekend?

R35

Isn't there a curling match you could be watching? :p

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
buddha33 said:
Isn't there a curling match you could be watching? :p

:zxflipoff

Today was even worse. Johnny Miller is the worst, even worse than John Madden.

BOOM! Tough actin' Tinactin!

The americans really dirtied the bed. It was beautiful to watch. I hate the Ryder Cup.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
:zxflipoff

Today was even worse. Johnny Miller is the worst, even worse than John Madden.

BOOM! Tough actin' Tinactin!

The americans really dirtied the bed. It was beautiful to watch. I hate the Ryder Cup.

R35

OK, so I'm going to go against what seems to be a trend. I like the Ryder Cup. I'd like it better if the rest of world's best players were involved but then it wouldn't be the Ryder Cup, it would be some other Cup. I like the Olympics too. I can't stand John Madden though.

The Euros played better, they won and deserve our congratuations. Captain Hal & Lefty made some very questionable choices and it cost the team. In the end what I saw was a lot of hand shaking, good sportsmanship and even some good golf. If the Americans had won I doubt I'd be seeing posts on message boards everywhere trashing the Euros. But that's ok too because I think America has become the Lakers/Yankees of the world. The country everyone loves to hate. That's my rant for the day.

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
You go, Dave E!

I like the Ryder Cup, too, or at least I like the potential of the event. For one thing, I love to watch the European players, who often have more charisma (or not, in a few cases) than their US counterparts. And it's great to be able to root for one's favorite players in an event so meaningful to the players, for whatever reasons, that even the most skilled golfers in the world still can "choke." The potential for great drama certainly is there, even if it doesn't (like this year :eek: ) always appear. But most of all, what I like about the Ryder Cup is the opportunity to watch good sportsmanship in my favorite pastime. Yes, just like US victories, we don't see as much good sportsmanship as we might, but it's pretty heart-warming to see these golfers with a lot of pride on the line still remembering to honor their opponents and even *like* their opponents.

We (some of us, anyway) get a kick out of pumped-up antics from Ryder Cuppers such as Corey Pavin and this year's Chris Riley, but it's much more gratifying to observe the great gentlemen on both sides. The Ryder Cup, which brings out the worst in some participants, just as surely brings out the best in others--and this doesn't have to mean their best golf. I didn't get to watch a lot of this year's event, but I know that Davis Love and Chad Campbell didn't do too well in respect to victories. I'd imagine they did pretty well in the other department, though--or maybe I'm just deluded. As to J. Miller, well, who signs his paycheck? He's rooting for a specific outcome because that's what makes higher viewing percentages. He's a little egocentric and more than a little "tuned in" to what he thinks makes good ratings, but we can watch the golf and tune him out.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
OK, so I'm going to go against what seems to be a trend. I like the Ryder Cup. I'd like it better if the rest of world's best players were involved but then it wouldn't be the Ryder Cup, it would be some other Cup. I like the Olympics too. I can't stand John Madden though.

The Euros played better, they won and deserve our congratuations. Captain Hal & Lefty made some very questionable choices and it cost the team. In the end what I saw was a lot of hand shaking, good sportsmanship and even some good golf. If the Americans had won I doubt I'd be seeing posts on message boards everywhere trashing the Euros. But that's ok too because I think America has become the Lakers/Yankees of the world. The country everyone loves to hate. That's my rant for the day.

I like it too. I think the format is very fun and I enjoy the alternating shot deal....

We are the Lakers/Yankees - the land everyone loves to hate. Too bad.

Staff online

Members online