• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Lesson Strategy continues

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
In keeping with my self-imposed strategy of not purchasing ANY golf equipment this year but instead working on my game with the clubs I have, I had a lesson with our new pro yesterday. I have heard great things about him, so I decided to give him a try. He had a few interesting observations:
  • My right hand grip is very weak. Vs need to be both pointing to right shoulder. The two hands need to mirror eachother, so while my left hand was good, apparently my right hand was fighting it.
  • My posture is poor, needs to be more athletic. Bend from waist and pop knees, arms hanging vertically down. CHEST NEEDS TO BE OVER BALL AT ADDRESS AND AGAIN AT IMPACT! I felt like a gorilla and the hands felt very low at address but he showed me video of myself and it looked great.
  • I have a tendency to take the club back on the inside. He suggested trying to hit fades, forcing myself to hit outside and across the line.
  • In video slo-mo I tend to drop my hands at transition at the top, casing me to get crowded at impact. No short term fix for that but one to pick up in next lesson.
  • I also have a bit of a reverse hip slide going on - need to work on that by trying to hit shots with right foot on ground throughout the swing, it will eventually come off the ground after impact.
  • Stand up more and keep height during swing to prevent dipping and other head movement.
It took a while but most were relatively easy adjustments to make. I started hitting the ball well as the lesson progressed, good flight, hitting pulls but no poor fades. Need to grind it in now, but very happy with feedback.

I've made a lot of progress this year, hitting lots of balls but not playing many rounds. I'm looking forward to testing myself under a bit of competition pressure.

🔥 Latest posts