• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The LIV (Saudi Tour) Thread

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Kevin Na “resigns” from the PGA Tour.

By resigning from the Tour, it will prevent the Tour from disciplining him which will likely allow him to play in the US Open. Apparently, the USGA recognizes and enforces PGA Tour discipline.

Last edited:

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Kevin Na “resigns” from the PGA Tour.

By resigning from the Tour, it will prevent the Tour from disciplining him which will likely allow him to play in the US Open. Apparently, the USGA recognizes and enforces PGA Tour discipline.
This seems like the most ‘face saving’ way to go about it. Who will follow his lead, if any??

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
This is bizarre. Some of the biggest names in golf are willing to sully their name and their legacy just for some money. Pretty disgusting display of lacking integrity.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I hope the PGA doesn't allow a single one of these who are moving to the Saudi Tour to ever return for a PGA event. Would like it even better if the USGA and R&A would ban them from The Open Championship and the U. S. Open. Sponsors are shedding them. Great!

These name players are not hurting for money. Most are millionaires. Yet, they will sacrifice their integrity for the almighty buck.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
In Phil’s statement he says that he intends to play in the majors. Much like Limp, I hope something happens to these guys, to make a point! But guess we are still waiting for that...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Looks like most of them are retiring/quitting the PGA Tour. That move should avoid any disciplinary action from the Tour which will keep them eligible in the USGA and R&A’s events. As far as I am aware, neither the USGA nor R&A have made any gestures toward banning LIV players.

If what is reported is true, that DJ and Phil received 9 figure guarantees, I can see the temptation for some players to leave the PGA behind. DJ is reportedly receiving more in appearance money than Tiger made from Tour purses in his entire career. That is just crazy.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
USGA announced all who have qualified for the U.S. Open, regardless of what Tour they are associated with, will play. Their press release says they set requirements for qualification and if one met those requirements, it is not fair to shove them out due to the LIV Tour. No comments on whether or not they will change that protocol for 2023. Doubt it.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Phil officially jumped ship, as did Patrick Reed and Bryson Dechambeau.

Amazing.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have seen rumors of Reed, Ricky, and Bryson but nothing official. What I have read says they will join the LIV at the Portland tournament.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I mean, good riddance to Reed and Doucheambeau, but man...
It’s getting pretty crazy, but if no one takes a stand, what’s stopping them?? Sure feels like more will follow as the consequences (if any) become clearer. So far no one is doing anything

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
LMAO

1654711721658.png