• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The LIV (Saudi Tour) Thread

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Mickelson wearing no logos on his clothing or bag other than his own logo. Not sure if Callaway has dropped him or if they have asked him not to display their logo at LIV events. I guess we will have a better idea at the US Open.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Folks waiting to hear what The Masters has to say about those who left the PGA for the LIV. The Masters is an invitational tourney. They can don't have to invite anyone and can disinvite anyone.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Folks waiting to hear what The Masters has to say about those who left the PGA for the LIV. The Masters is an invitational tourney. They can don't have to invite anyone and can disinvite anyone.
Most of Augusta’s membership probably have had dealings with the Saudis in one fashion or another. It would be highly hypocritical to ban golfers for doing the same thing. There will be one or two less avenues for entry, but former winners will probably be safe.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Most of Augusta’s membership probably have had dealings with the Saudis in one fashion or another. It would be highly hypocritical to ban golfers for doing the same thing. There will be one or two less avenues for entry, but former winners will probably be safe.
Gotta agree here, unfortunately.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
And the PGA Tour just suspended everyone who teed it up in the LIV. Whether they resigned or not, any current or former PGA Tour card holder is suspended from playing in any PGA Tour events and in any PGA Tour affiliated Tour event. No sponsor exemptions or any other attempt to bypass the suspension will be honored, they are no longer allowed to play.

They did not say the length of the suspension, just that they were suspended.

So far, those that are thinking about teeing it up in Portland are not on the list, yet. Apparently, once you put a tee in the ground and take a stroke in the LIV is the point in time you are suspended.

Last edited:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Are there only nine players in this event?
There were 17 player names on the letter. I am guessing the other players are probably members of the DP World Tour or some other tour not directly under the PGA Tour’s umbrella.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Here is the letter…
E7A691A4-CCE9-4858-B52C-0E5EEF3C7CA6.jpeg
CADE2020-7BA0-439B-9961-A4AFA4628461.jpeg

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I haven't been watching it, I won't watch it, but here's the leaderboard posted to twitter:

1654802743214.png

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The "star" players go to the LIV, sacrificing their integrity for money. Viewership drops for the PGA. Television contracts dwindle. More players exodus. Possible?

The Golf Channel has always struggled, financially. Do the Saudi financiers of the LIV buy TGC, thereby getting daily coverage... and exposure to... the LIV?

NFL/MLB?? Could the Saudis entice a half dozen NFL and/or MLB teams to leave the current leagues and start a new one? The NCAA now allows college athletes to market their name. The Saudis pay college players with the understanding they will skip the drafts and go directly from college to the new league. Guaranteed money vs. being cut as a rookie... or injured in a rookie year. Pretty soon, draft days are left with second tier college athletes.

Is the LIV just the brainchild of Greg Norman. Didn't he try to start some World Golf Tour a few years ago and it was a disaster? Did he find "friends with money" that can afford to finance him long enough to kill the PGA?

Is anyone watching the LIV event this week? Is it even televised? I won't watch for personal reasons. Doesn't mean others aren't, just to get their "golf fix".

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
The PGA Tour has dropped the hammer! Can I be the first to say, FINALLY!! There’s just all kinds of shadiness coming outta this LIV stuff... just don’t like it!

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
The Saudis must be laughing their asses off at us. They pulled off 9/11 and we invaded Iraq. They bone-sawed Khashoggi's head off and our government sided with them. Now they are poaching our athletes who are getting banned from playing on tour, and more are following. We are so easily bought.

Here is my hope. I hope they poach more traitor sell-outs and then just up and dissolve the LIV tour, leaving all those ex-tour members high and dry. And then I hope the PGA Tour says "Sorry fvckers, we warned you, go find some other tour to play on."

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
It is my understanding that Greg Norman’s vision stemmed more from how soccer was seen on a global scene or platform. In his day the PGA was very much centralized in the USA. His idea was to make golf more globally recognized. Unfortunately he’s been bought and paid for, this LIV stuff isn’t even close to what he wanted! At least I don’t think?!?!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Norman has been trying to get this done for decades, he could never get the financial backing he needed to draw in top talent. Who is going to jump ship for less money? Greg found a backer with a seemingly endless pile of cash and he gets his golf league.

Everyone is getting all over the players for taking the cash grab, but I still do not see the outrage thrown at the course owners, corporations, politicians, and countries who also have a hand in the same cookie jar. There are far more egregious examples of placating this money stream than 50 golf pros grabbing a lottery ticket. I am not supporting the LIV Tour and would love it if no one showed up to play, but if I was in some of these guys shoes facing a guaranteed 9 figure appearance fee plus guaranteed cash for playing 8 tournaments I am not so sure I would be able to turn it down either. Most of the big names are on the downward side of their career peak and are never going to have the opportunity to make this kind of $ again. If money is their biggest motivator, their decision is going to be obvious.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Norman has been trying to get this done for decades, he could never get the financial backing he needed to draw in top talent. Who is going to jump ship for less money? Greg found a backer with a seemingly endless pile of cash and he gets his golf league.

Everyone is getting all over the players for taking the cash grab, but I still do not see the outrage thrown at the course owners, corporations, politicians, and countries who also have a hand in the same cookie jar. There are far more egregious examples of placating this money stream than 50 golf pros grabbing a lottery ticket. I am not supporting the LIV Tour and would love it if no one showed up to play, but if I was in some of these guys shoes facing a guaranteed 9 figure appearance fee plus guaranteed cash for playing 8 tournaments I am not so sure I would be able to turn it down either. Most of the big names are on the downward side of their career peak and are never going to have the opportunity to make this kind of $ again. If money is their biggest motivator, their decision is going to be obvious.
Point well taken, but... Most of these jumping ship are already at least millionaires. The PGA and the opportunity it has afforded them has allowed them to play a game and make big bucks. Play and rake in the dollars until you turn 50ish and, then, go to the "Champions Tour" and continue making money. Unless one or two of these guys have been crazy stupid with their winnings and endorsement money... they are fixed for life.

So... the money offered by the 54 Tour does seem enticing. How much money does it take for you to sacrifice your integrity, future play on the PGA Tour, possibly not playing in the Majors, etc.?? Is it really worth it. Think it was Fowler who said, "Everyone has a price." No... not everyone.

How do you tell your kids you have decided to get a paycheck from the coffers of Prince Bone Saw??? How can you sleep at night knowing you took money to enhance the ego of a terrorist regime??? The money for the 54 Tour comes from a person who would not hesitate one second to have his minions stick a knife in your throat. How many PGA tournament sponsors... how many equipment and corporate endorsements you have... how many people in the PGA office would even consider watching with glee as the video of you bleeding out played on their phone?

And, I know we're not supposed to get into politics. The Capitol.. The pillar of democracy... was attacked on January 6th, 2021 for only the second time in our history. The Capitol was overrun, not by a foreign invading force, but by a riotous crowd trying to shred the Constitution to install a despot as our Country's leader. And, now, in addition to being paid by a global terror regime, you are going to play tournaments on courses owned by the architect of a coup??

I apologize if the above comments are out of line! Perhaps it further explains why I won't watch one minute of the 54 Tour and hope to Heaven it fails and those who sacrificed their souls for dollars have to watch the Majors on their televisions, wondering why they were ever tempted to let Greg Norman and a bazillion dollars ruin their legacies.

Most reactions

Latest posts