• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The LIV (Saudi Tour) Thread

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Wonder how much they paid for Koepka.
Rumor is $150 mil.

E21D8301-D251-4F17-83DA-84D5C503243F.jpeg

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I am guessing that The Players Championship will no longer be able to claim the strongest field in golf if they keep losing top players to the LIV.

I am also guessing that Brooks will not be the only name dropped this week. The most interesting aspect moving forward will be to see what the DP World Tour does. Supposedly they were in lock step with the PGA Tour on banning players, but that has not happened, yet. LIV players can play in this week’s event. If the DP World Tour decides to reverse course on their agreement with the PGA Tour and let LIV players continue to play, they could become the premier golf tour as LIV players flock to their tour.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
With so many world-class young players coming up, this may just be a "changing of the guard." The PGA Tour will find another Brooks, another DJ, another Phil... everyone is replaceable. I think the only ones bitching are people that have been around forever like (like me 😁 ) and know the big names well. As long as Tiger and Rory stay, the kids coming up will stay. And if those kids don't stay, other new kids will.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
PGA Tour just announced they are starting a series (8) of limited field, no cut, big pay out tournaments starting the the fall of 2023 to compete with the LIV. Top 50 play in the big money events while the rest compete to keep/get their cards in the regular tournaments.

Not sure they will keep everyone as they do not have the big signing bonus, but at least they are making an effort. I guess Phil was right in that regard, the Tour needed to make changes and needed a push from a rival tour to do so.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
R&A announced they will follow the lead of the USGA and allow LIV players to compete in the Open. This may be an unpopular opinion, but maybe this just might be the better stance to take, in terms of “growing the game?!?!” The tournaments are “open” for a reason no? Anyone one of us can attempt to qualify for them. And if somehow I unconsciously managed to qualify, who’s anyone to tell me I can’t??

I’m probably going to get roasted for this, but oh well, it was a thought over my morning coffee...

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
The tournaments are “open” for a reason no? Anyone one of us can attempt to qualify for them. And if somehow I unconsciously managed to qualify, who’s anyone to tell me I can’t??
Agreed. USGA and R&A do not have to comply with PGA Tour rules, and "open" should mean just that.

Also, I hope an amateur wins.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
All things considered, does anyone think this is ever really going to take off?? Again somewhat along with Tiger’s comments again; the loud music, party atmosphere. Greg throwing beers into crowds... I just don’t get it.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
All things considered, does anyone think this is ever really going to take off?? Again somewhat along with Tiger’s comments again; the loud music, party atmosphere. Greg throwing beers into crowds... I just don’t get it.
I think its going to be very hard for them to amass the viewership needed to make it sustainable. They’re getting a fraction of the views that the PGA tour and DPWT get, and with the estimates of how much of that is bots, its anyone’s guess.

🔥 Latest posts