• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The LIV (Saudi Tour) Thread

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
It's easy to tell other people to turn down other peoples' money. Many on this site have likely changed jobs for lesser pay raises.

I hate the Saudi ties to the money, but most money has blood on it at some point. Mostly, I guess I'm saying that, to be frank, I don't understand the "just following the money" criticism. That's why most of us work.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
I'm watching the Korn Ferry finals and the Golf Channel just aired a BRUTAL anti-LIV commercial :oops:

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
LMAO who named these teams, a youth soccer club?

Next on the tee, playing for the Fire-Breathing Gummy Bears, Sergio Garcia

1682360077787.png

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Jack Nicklaus on LIV players not being at The Memorial:
Asked if he was disappointed not to have the reigning major winners in the field this week, he said, “I don’t even consider those guys part of the game anymore. I don’t mean that in a nasty way. This is a PGA Tour event and we have the best field we can possibly have for a PGA Tour event for those who are eligible to be here. The other guys made a choice of what they did and where they’ve gone and we don’t even talk about it.”
Jack Nicklaus on a Memorial without LIV Golf’s Brooks Koepka, Cam Smith: ‘I don’t even consider those guys part of the game anymore’

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Wow, Jay Monahan just sold his soul. Sad day for professional golf.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Evidently the playing professionals learned about this the same way we did. Mainly by twitter.

No notice, no memo or internal statement. They just went ahead and did it behind the scenes. Disgusting.

edit:
1686072644163.png

Last edited:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Not surprised at all. At the end of the day, it is all about who is going to get paid off. The PGA Tour has been changing the way they do business to appease the players (which, by the way, is what Mickelson was shooting for all along) and they need someone to help pay for it. Apparently, they felt the LIV was not offering enough in their earlier discussions and decided to put the heat on by throwing hand grenades into their fan base and players locker rooms.

All the political uproar was just a side show to put the squeeze on the purse strings. Sadly, too many folks got caught up in the whirlwind and overlooked what was truly going on behind the scenes. Enemies created, battle lines drawn, but the real action was going on in the background and in the boardrooms. When all is said and done, the only casualties are the fans and the players who got duped into participating in the frenzy.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
This transformational partnership recognizes the immeasurable strength of the PGA TOUR’s history, legacy and pro-competitive model and combines with it the DP World Tour and LIV – including the team golf concept –
"including the team concept"

Whatever becomes of the PGA Tour is going to have stupid shit like "The Crushers" and "Aces" oh my god what a goddamn travesty.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
At the player meeting with Monahan today, players are saying that when a player called for Monahan to resign that roughly 90% of the players applauded.
Jay admitted to not being transparent.
Jay admitted to being a hypocrite.
Most players oppose the merger.
PIF (LIV) will inject a massive amount of cash into this merger and that the PGA Tour will still operate as a 501(c) non-profit.

This was a cash-grab. Nothing more. Jay Monahan is a shit human for selling the tour out.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Even on national news this evening. People across the Country as saying they will never watch or attend a PGA event due to the blood money. Too many scars from 9/11 and Khashoggi, etc. IMHO, a huge mistake for the PGA Tour. I may watch the U.S. Open since that's a USGA event, not a PGA Tour event. Likewise with the R&A's Open Championship. But, that's about it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Even on national news this evening. People across the Country as saying they will never watch or attend a PGA event due to the blood money. Too many scars from 9/11 and Khashoggi, etc. IMHO, a huge mistake for the PGA Tour. I may watch the U.S. Open since that's a USGA event, not a PGA Tour event. Likewise with the R&A's Open Championship. But, that's about it.
Well, the Men of the Masters, the USGA, and R&A have all professed their support of the merger so you may have to go elsewhere for your golf viewership.

All the political maneuvering, name calling, and false bad blood was just a play to get a larger piece of the action. Having been caught up in a few bankruptcies, mergers, and acquisitions in my airline career I have learned that it’s all about a select few getting larger golden parachutes to leave or a larger piece of the pie when the last domino falls. The employees get riled up and are taught to hate the opposing employee group and they get to live with that bad blood for the remainder of their careers all while not seeing a hint of the rewards that come from the merger. Only the select few benefit, everyone else suffers.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online