• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The longest 9

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
No, not 9 holes, 9iron. I've been learning to change trajectories a lot better and in doing so have been able to devolop the ability to shut a club down and deloft the crap out of it. Today on a 635yd. par 5 I hit a driver right and punched up the fairway with my 3W. I was in a cart with my boss. We get to my ball and there are yellow markers halfway between each marker on this course. I thought I was behind the 125, so like 145 in. I pulled out a 9 and as he drove away he yells, "here's 150". Oh crap. Over ahead on the cart path I see a number. I walked up a bit and sure enough, I'm nearly 190 out with a 9iron. Why not? I shut it down from a closed stance and roped the piss out of it. It landed in the greenside rough next to bunker, no more than 2yds. short with about a 3-4 yd. draw and the flight of 5iron. It's pretty useless but it was cool to see how far I could get it to go. :laugh:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
You misjudged a distance by 50 yards?
I'm guessing he accidentally grabbed the 6. :laugh:

I hate when that happens. Have done it twice that I remember. One time was in the winter. Flew the green on the 15th hole on our old course, that had a pond to the back of the green. Bounced off the ice and landed in the middle of the 12th fairway. All said and done, it went about 70-80 yards further than I intended.

Did it again this year, where there was OB past the hole. Thankfully I chunked the ball about 50 yards, otherwise I likely would have taken out the windows in a house about 20 yards past the green.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
And yet you can't seem to shoot 70s consistantly.

It's a mystery.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I was commenting on the fact that he thought he was at 145 when he was at 190.

I do however agree that it's possible to hit a 9 iron that far. You'd have to basically do what Ez did... deloft the hell out of it, and smash it into next November. I was trying to explain this concept to a friend of mine but he wouldn't believe it. He said he'd give me 20$ if I could hit an 8 iron 190 yards doing what I said.

175 was the closest I got. I didn't wanna break the club :(

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Occasionally to break up golf when out alone I will play 9 holes by using clubs sequentially. 1st shot with driver, 2nd with 3 wood etc. All clubs except putter. Sometimes you are on a par 5 tee with a sand wedge in your hands trying to maximize distance. Sounds crazy but you learn to be creative and trajectory control is a by-product.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Just do it tin cup style & use a single club?

Got a good laugh yesterday at the course.
I finished up with the 2nd hole & walked to the 3rd, tee'd off & then noticed I was missing my gap wedge. Remembered I had set it down on the fringe of the green on 2 so I left my bag & ran back to get my club.

Got my club & was walking back & had to pass the 1st hole tee box where an elderly women was sitting in a cart while her husband teed off. She saw me with 1 club & asked where the rest were, I told her I was playing the entire rd with just a gap wedge & 2 balls because it's such an easy course.. She looked at me & said "really?", told her yes & continued on my way...laughing inside because I am sure she probably asked her husband how come he needs all those expensive clubs:laugh:

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
The longest 9 iron I've ever hit was off the edge of the Grand Canyon. I lost it after the third bounce, but I'm guessing about a mile. SWMBO got pissed at me & I had to suffer for a couple of hours, but it was worth it to be able to say I've hit a 9 iron a mile.:laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The longest 9 iron I've ever hit was off the edge of the Grand Canyon. I lost it after the third bounce, but I'm guessing about a mile. SWMBO got pissed at me & I had to suffer for a couple of hours, but it was worth it to be able to say I've hit a 9 iron a mile.:laugh:

Remember that on those downhill shots you want to club down a bit...
icon14.gif

🔥 Latest posts