• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The lowly tee.....

SunnyDaze

Dec 11, 2006
What kind of tees do you use, and do you use different tees for teeing the ball high or low? I have seen all kinds of tees left behind on the boxes. 3 or more pronged castle style tees, brushes, plastic tees, colored tees, plain tees, fat tees, skinny tees, tall tees short tees. Do they make a difference to you?

I use a real skinny wooden tee called a Stinger tee for my driver. It was hard at first to get the ball to sit on it, but after the first few tries it became real easy. I think it made a very slight difference to my drives, but that may be just because I actually paid for them instead of just picking up freebies. :) I use the traditional style tees for my iron tee shots, but that's mostly because I can't stick the 3" tee that far into the ground here in Texas in the summer (at least at the course I usually play).

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Those three pronged tees your referring to are the Zero Friction tees. I play them, but am thinking of switching to the stinger tees if i can find ones small enough (i tee the ball fairly low, pretty much right at the sweet spot), so i dont need to bother with huge 3" tees.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Color me old fashioned but unpainted 2-3/4" wood ones work for me. Ooops, Nobody move!!!! I've just lost my tee!!!!:laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just use plain old wood tees. Not sure how long but somewhere around 3" I guess. I use a full tee for driver and broken ones I find for any other club. I tee it up with about 1/3 of the ball above the crown on a driver. I may try those Zero Friction ones if I find a deal on them. I'll pick my tee up if I happen to see it but I buy them a few hundered at a time so no big deal. I may use more now that I have a driver I can hit straight.
icon10.gif

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I use the shorter Epoch plastic tees, I believe they are 2 3/8".

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
90% of my tee shots lately are with a fairway wood or a hybrid, so most of the tees I use are broken ones that pick up and re-use.

I use plain 2 3/4" tees for driver hits.

Why don't I use my driver more often? Because it's broken (it must be...:laugh: ) and I'm waiting for the new "magic driver" to arrive.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I think most serious golfers will agree that the tee is one of the most overlooked aspects of the game. What is the point of good alignment and a proper swing form if the tee doesnt do its job?

some points to consider:

1. Always use a white tee!! A dark tee will absorb more heat than a white one. The added heat on the sunny side of the tee, after several minutes of practice swings, will cause expansion and move the ball making it tilted and off center. The effects on your drive can be tremendous.

2. Be very very careful in placing your ball on one of the zero friction tees. If one of the three prongs on those tees falls in a dimple on the ball the resulting drag can be disastrous. I speak from experience here as I know that is the reason many of my drives have gone way left or right. Always place the zero friction tee with one prong heading dead straight forward and the other two prongs equally perpendicular to the line of flight. But be careful, the front prong sitting in a ball dimple can create drag and cause what appears to be a topped shot, when in reality it was the fault of the tee.

Tee research will bring many more game improving advances. Teflon tees and tees with a hinge to allow it to fall out of the way as the ball is struck are just on the horizon. With a better tee we can all be scratch golfers!!

The days of just placing the ball on any old tee and hitting it are a thing of the past.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I use a big Orange rubber driving range tee for my driver and broken wooden ones for everything else. If I forget my driver tee I use Silver Castle tees. You know what they say 'Tee it high, smack the living day lights out of the little f*cker, and watch it fly'!!!

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
I think most serious golfers will agree that the tee is one of the most overlooked aspects of the game. What is the point of good alignment and a proper swing form if the tee doesnt do its job?

some points to consider:

1. Always use a white tee!! A dark tee will absorb more heat than a white one. The added heat on the sunny side of the tee, after several minutes of practice swings, will cause expansion and move the ball making it tilted and off center. The effects on your drive can be tremendous.

2. Be very very careful in placing your ball on one of the zero friction tees. If one of the three prongs on those tees falls in a dimple on the ball the resulting drag can be disastrous. I speak from experience here as I know that is the reason many of my drives have gone way left or right. Always place the zero friction tee with one prong heading dead straight forward and the other two prongs equally perpendicular to the line of flight. But be careful, the front prong sitting in a ball dimple can create drag and cause what appears to be a topped shot, when in reality it was the fault of the tee.

Tee research will bring many more game improving advances. Teflon tees and tees with a hinge to allow it to fall out of the way as the ball is struck are just on the horizon. With a better tee we can all be scratch golfers!!

The days of just placing the ball on any old tee and hitting it are a thing of the past.

I hope this was tongue in cheek?

I truly hope you don't put that much thought into the tee.

Robert

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i use zero friction tees for my driver and reg old wood tees for my irons.the short ones before they started making them longer to compensate for the larger heads.

i think there like 1 1/2 bought a huge bag of like 1000 about 3 months before i went to the big headed drivers.i dont even bother to look fro those since i have an over abundance of them.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Wal-mart. My only requirement is no paint.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I use regular, long, wood tees for the driver.

For irons just whatever trash tee I can find on the box.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I hope this was tongue in cheek?

I truly hope you don't put that much thought into the tee.

Robert

All an attempt at humorous BS there robert. I find all that T-level and other chit just chit.

In reality I use cheap tall tees from walmart, hold the ball in my palm and the T on the ball between my first and middle finger, thumb pointed down, push in till thumb touches ground, pull back up about a quarter inch. I try to place the ball in line with an old tee or leaf lying on the tee box that is on the aim path. I figure if it goes the first foot online it is better than if it doesnt.

🔥 Latest posts