• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The magic of Augusta

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Wow.............Rory is playing like Woods did when he won at age 21. Lots of drama going on right now. At the moment Woods is creeping up the ladder.

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
How cool would it be to see Rory and Couples in the final paring on Sunday!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Its funny how people (and I include myself) watch Tiger mate two or three birdies in a row, and already think he's going to finish 33 under par and kill everyone! People where already talking about Sunday's match up between Rory vs Tiger, and having the Tiger-McIlroy dispute now on like happened with Palmer-Nicklaus-Watson, etc

He just had a good day, but Day had a much better day, so did at least 10 more golfers. I ain't saying he is or, but its about time we sit down and look at him as any other good golfer out there, just like Rory himself said sometime ago "he's no longer the player one is intimidated to be paired with".

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Anyone else notice the change in the CBS Masters theme music this year? Much more aggressive. 1st change I can remember in quite some time.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
I like the "traditional" old theme music..........just brings back memories. Sure wish one of the Aussies could have grabbed it, if Rory couldn't. Poor guy..............felt for him. But he'll be back.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Oh God! What a finish! Awesome! Best Masters ever

If someone would have bet me that ADAM SCOTT could have won the Masters I would have laughed in his face!

Great game, great play...

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
WTF happened to Rory? I felt it though. I knew. Anyone notice how they totally stopped covering him? It's like his agent demanded they stop to limit the embarassment. I bet Tiger is just having a good chuckle about the lad after the boy flipped his lip. I am not a huge Tiger lover or anything, but the lad just ain't there. As in... at that level. He can't wash Tiger's socks. Shoulda kept his mouth shut. Come at the king, you best not miss. Congrats to the winner by the way.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Great finish! Guess the Nicklaus-Watson comparison was a bit premature! Is this a habit we see forming for young McIlroy? Great for 3 rounds and one round that is...horrid?

Grinder

Nov 19, 2009
...He can't wash Tiger's socks. Shoulda kept his mouth shut. Come at the king, you best not miss. Congrats to the winner by the way.

Umm.. Mr. Woods isn't the king anymore. A king doesn't miss 3 & 4 footers.

McIlroy needs to go back and review his swing on TV. That right elbow was flying out at impact making everything go left. No. 10 was the worst. Man.. I've been there.. only not with millions watching me on TV. Ugh.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
He can't wash Tiger's socks. Shoulda kept his mouth shut. Come at the king, you best not miss. Congrats to the winner by the way.

I actually agree, and every time more, with Rory's words about people not longer being "afraid" of Tiger. Everyone wants to say he did great today but he didn't, he just played like all the "good guys" there. He is no longer the king, and hopefully we will have a similar finish in each Mayor this year, having ten-fifteen people playing for the winners spot in the last nine holes on Sunday.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Umm.. Mr. Woods isn't the king anymore. A king doesn't miss 3 & 4 footers.

McIlroy needs to go back and review his swing on TV. That right elbow was flying out at impact making everything go left. No. 10 was the worst. Man.. I've been there.. only not with millions watching me on TV. Ugh.

That's just a quote from my fav. show (The Wire). It just applies because Rory kind of took verbal shots at Tiggy while he's not at his best. I tell ya one damn thing... Rory definately isn't king. Kings don't shoot in the 80's because it's sunday at a major. I'm just sayin... didn't Poulter shoot of at the mouth once too?...

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
That was the best Masters in such a long time. Back nine Sunday was electric. Fantastic golf played, a car crash of epic proportions, and a true champion emerging from the heat of battle, with one of the best finishes in Master's history. Schwartzel, you are the man!

The dude set up birds at 15,16,17 and 18 when it was all on the line. He was just awesome and totally deserved the win. Hats off to both Day and Scott. They were up for it and made some awesome shots / putts. I was most impressed with Day who HAD to birdie 17 and 18 and did so. Oh, and he has a hot wife!

It was nice to see Tiger back and what a front nine he shot to put himself in position, but his putts on 12 and 15 highlighted his Achilles Heel and showed him at his most vulnerable. I now see him back and now see him winning another Major, perhaps even this year. Disappointing to hear him interviewed afterwards. He needs to rethink his PR strategy.

Great performances also by Donald, Ogilvy

As for Rory, what can I say? There was HUGE expectation here in Northern Ireland. There was a feeling he was going to win and for 63 holes he looked good. But taking driver on 10 was an unnecessary risk. And then taking a sail at the green for his 3rd was dumb. The 7 was the nail in the coffin. After that his confidence was just shattered. Who enjoys watching that sort of thing? Pro golfers four jacking from 20 ft. He's a young kid, his comments on Woods no longer holding that intimidatory aura was a reflection of what actually came to light yesterday. Schwartel, Scott and Day didn't shy away when Tiger had his run, they weren't afraid and didn't collapse. On this occasion Rory did collapse and he will now have to "suck it up buttercup!" Having a 4 shot lead is never a gimme on the final day of a Major. It happened to Dustin Johnson at the US Open and plenty of others over the years. I guess the only good thing you can say for him yesterday was how he handled himself afterwards with the media. A lot of kids that age would have cried, or blubbed some rubbish. He seemed amazingly composed. One day Rory...

But overall? It was the Masters, right. Perfect weather, great shots, and fantastic atmosphere, as tight as any Major has been in such a long time. There were 6 or 7 players who genuinely had a shot of winning coming down the stretch. And take McIlroy out of the equation it was won, not lost. I loved it, thanks Bobby Jones!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Agreed IG. Schwartzel took it and owned it. Clear cut, he whooped ass. I really liked the way Day and Scott handled and carried themselves. They were happy knowing they did their best, but Schwartzel just did better. Nothing they could do about it.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Here is my take on this Masters:

Rory is you g and may win a major yet, but I doubt he's the next big thing.
Schwarzel: wow, nice playing. very impresses with his play down the stretch.
Day: I am actually more impressed by him than Rory. 64 Friday or Saturday and on sunday he looked like he go go sideways but pulled it together and hung tough and came through at the end... Almost.

Adam Scott: Where the heck did be come from. Wasnt he one of the "young guns" at one point? I thought he went back to Australia to play the Aussie tour since he couldn't putt worth a damn! Who knew he would show up with a broomstick and nearly win the damn thing!!! It has been tough watching him, absolutely beautiful swing and just horrid putting.

And Tiger: was it me or was he really driving the ball well? We know what his issue was and I hope he fixes it. I hate to watch any player with a hippy putting stroke.

Members online

No members online now.