• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The mental side of golf.

kickerr101

May 10, 2010
Hi there. I play off 18. Some days i can have a great day on the course, and the next day i dont have a clue. Is much of this down to the mental side of the game i wonder?
Is there anyone out there who studies and practices the art of golf psychology?
Any tips? Where should i start?
Thanks for you help.
S

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
The best place to start is probably to read any of Bob Rotella's books. "Putting Out of Your Mind" to me was very helpful because I realized that I was way too concerned about mechanics on the course, rather than trying to drain putts. Now I keep the mechanics to the practice green. Another thing I discovered is that when I play alone - and I play strictly to the rules - I will be four or five shots better then when I play with people. Don't know why, just know that it is a fact, so now I divide my play with people into two categories, competition (I go into a bubble, and am super boring) and recreational play where I am very social, quipping, joking and not taking it overly seriously.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
An oldie but a goodie is Raymond Floyd's The Elements of Scoring. Believe it or not, it's not about Tiger's love life. It does tell you how to avoid the big numbers.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Harvey Pennick's Little Red Book. No swing tips, it won't tell you how to hit a draw, no putting tips, but if you don't read Harvey, you'll never play this game.!

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
I have read another of Harvey's books and I agree w/ wirehair, he's worth the read... regarding the mental; i'm struggle with consistency, but not the mental aspects. Having a routine and practicing it are two keys to relieving the mental pressure of many things. If you don't have one, develop one... If you have one, try working harder on a swing thought, and make it as singular as you can. For myself I try to focus on the target instead of the swing.

Other than that... i'd say I agree w/ some of the other posters, there are several books out there for this...

A.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I find my best rounds are when I am not really thinking about the round at all. Just relaxed hanging with a friend, but I focus on the shot when it is my turn. Then turn off that focus and go back to hanging out. Because you can only focus for so long.

When swinging I try to think about one maybe two keys during the address and swing. Nothing more.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
The mental side of the game has always killed me. I'm a 7 handicap but I feel I am physically capable of being a + handicap if only I could conquor the mental side of this game. I've got a friend who is a +3 and I can physically hit any shot he can. I have just never figured out how to do it under pressure or how to recover after a bad shot.

The funny thing is as my game has improved my shot expectations have gone up at a higher rate than my game. When I was starting out I was thrilled to hit a green in regulation. Now if I'm not in the right quadrent of the green or if I don't land it where I want or if I miss the green altogether I get pissed at myself. Once frustration sets in I tighten up and its a domino effect. I know its happening but can't seem to stop it.

A big part of the problem is that I take the game too seriously most of the time.

The last couple of weeks I have played in several scrambles. I have noticed that I have been playing at a much higher level when I play in these events. What I have realized this weekend is that I am so much looser and relaxed when I play these events. I don't get upset with myself over missed shots. I don't let things carry over from hole to hole. Mentally I'm a totally different golfer when I play these events. I just need to figure out how to capture this loose relaxed way of approaching the game when I'm competing against a course or a competitor in real golf.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
@Fisher
If you think about it, you are on to your personal solution for leaving a 7 hcp behind you and getting down to say a 3 during this season. I had a similar experience. I also play very well in scrambles and I too was puzzled as to the difference. What I realized was that the few bad shots I hit not only didn't have any consequence, because someone else would hit a decent shot, I immediately began to be excited about the next shot. So I began working on being excited about "the next shot". So even when I miss a green I am beginning to think that chipping is what I have been working on lately, I sank a couple of difficult chip shots in a practice session, wouldn't it be great to do the same now on the course? Even if I don't make it (the usual outcome) it might be to within tap-in distance. Then I think that even Seve would have been satisfied with that chip shot.

A good way for me when trying to change this mental approach, was that I would go out on the course when there are few people on it. My hcp being 7 I allowed myself 7 do-overs instead of taking 7 strokes. What I found was that I would often save 9 or 10 strokes on those d-overs, hence a mistake would cost me more than one shot on the scorecard. It could be missing a tee shot on a par 3 into the wrong bunker needing 3 to get down while the do-over left me with an easy birdie putt. A three-jack turning into a center cut. That sort of thing. Slowly but steadily you become aware of how you are loosing shots on the course and you will be able to save those misses before you even make them. Just remember, it is a process that takes time and requires brutal honesty towards yourself.

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
Speaking of the mental side of golf...PERFECT example today. Was +1 after my first 5 holes today, which is an incredible start for me...(15 cap). And BAM! 2 balls in the water on a short par 3. Made a 7 and never really struck the ball like I did those first 5 holes. Just couldn't recover from that one

Grinder

Nov 19, 2009
Speaking of the mental side of golf...PERFECT example today. Was +1 after my first 5 holes today, which is an incredible start for me...(15 cap). And BAM! 2 balls in the water on a short par 3. Made a 7 and never really struck the ball like I did those first 5 holes. Just couldn't recover from that one

You should've used Kuma's do-over idea.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Honestly, playing off an 18 means you are going to have good games and bad.
No psychological battles here!

🔥 Latest posts