• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The mystery of the X-flex...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm currenly playing a Launcher Comp 15* 3W with a stiff Aldila NV in it. Lately this shaft has felt much too light...

I'd been wanting to try a KE4 head and shaft it with a VS Proto most likely, but hadn't had a chance to actually hit one yet. Sure enough, a guy at the driving range today had one, shafted with a V2, 76g, X-flex. I was asking him about it and he suggested I hit it.

Wow. I took 12 shots with my current 3W and hit a few decent ones, but my first and only rip with the KE4/V2-X combo was unreal. I blocked it out to the right a little, but it carried 240, and I loved the feel of it.

Should I bother with an S-flex? I already know a combo that works... Any reason not to stick with 'er?

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I wish I would have switched to X flex a long time ago. Trying to figure out swing speed by converting the ball speed on a sim put me around 110-112 but when I got on a vector launch monitor I found that my swing speed was 115-125 max. That gave me the confidence to make the switch and I really like how they are performing in my irons and driver. The only other time I tried an X was in a graphalloy blue and it felt like a board so I thought all X’s felt the same. The pershing I have in my driver feels great so far its tight but still has some feel. The X-100 feel very crisp and not overly stiff at all, I think I have actually picked up some yardage over the rifle 5.5’s I had in there last year. I think a lot of people fear the X for what ever reason, when you ask people their opinion about switching to X it’s almost like they talk you out of it. The guy at the local golf shop makes it sound like you have to be Tiger or something to swing an X, he is also about 5ft 4 and might have a wee bit of little man’s syndrome. All I can say is that I have been playing the wrong shafts in my clubs for about 10 years and I’m glad I switched, I just wish I would have took the plunge earlier. Just get one try it out if you don’t like it get rid of it, or just go to a true launch monitor and check your swing speed.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The KE4 is a very heavy head. That may have a lot to do with why the X felt good in combination with this head.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The KE4 is a very heavy head. That may have a lot to do with why the X felt good in combination with this head.

Ke4 fairway and driver heads are all standard weight.

200g for the driver head
208 for the 3 wood and 216 for the 5 wood

weight can be adjusted to make them heavier, but the stock set up is no different weight wise than anyone else's products.

On topic now, I have switched over to all X flex as well and wish I had done it a long time ago as well. My swing speed is at the very bottom end of an X flex. My tempo and transition are all fast and aggressive so the X seems to be a perfect fit when you combine the two traits.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Maybe this explains why all those tools on WRX only deal in S/X!

I'm excited. Thanks fellas.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ke4 fairway and driver heads are all standard weight.

200g for the driver head
208 for the 3 wood and 216 for the 5 wood

weight can be adjusted to make them heavier, but the stock set up is no different weight wise than anyone else's products.

On topic now, I have switched over to all X flex as well and wish I had done it a long time ago as well. My swing speed is at the very bottom end of an X flex. My tempo and transition are all fast and aggressive so the X seems to be a perfect fit when you combine the two traits.

Hmmm, ok, it sure feels a lot heavier than my HiBore 3 wood. And if I may ask Lyle, what is your swing speed? Mine is 105 with a pretty fast transition and tempo.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
Finally went and got fitted for clubs about a year and a half ago, and my fitter put me in x-flex through the bag, much to my surprise. In the time since then my index has gone from 25 to 18. Alot of that is hard work, but the right equipment has helped a ton.

And yeah, there are lots of folks who think x flex is sacred ground. I took shafts out of my sig because I was tired of the snide comments. Fact of the matter is if they work for you, play 'em. Let the ball be the measure of your success. :)

I've also found that not all x-flex shafts play the same. I had a Titleist 3-wood with a UST ProForce shaft in x stiff, and it was like swinging a piece of rebar. I couldn't load that shaft to save my life. I like the Aldila stuff alot. Spec Grid 67X in my driver, NV85x in my woods, X100 in my irons. :)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I doubt swing speed has got anything to do what flex you need, older weaker players with lower swing speeds have been fit with X. Its why I bought X, to see what its like, I ended up with XXX. Yup, triple X. Will see what its like in a couple of weeks. My drives are the best part of my game since I went to X in the 26.3

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I doubt swing speed has got anything to do what flex you need, older weaker players with lower swing speeds have been fit with X. Its why I bought X, to see what its like, I ended up with XXX. Yup, triple X. Will see what its like in a couple of weeks. My drives are the best part of my game since I went to X in the 26.3
I keep hearing that more and more. Forget about swing speed. It's all about how you load the shaft.

Hell, John Daly used a regular flex shaft in his driver.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
mddubya

my driver swing speed is about 104 average, 85 with a 5 iron.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Eracer, no one really loads the shaft, its a strange term I think

🔥 Latest posts

Members online