• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The new Rory S - Introducing the next big threat to El Tigre...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
"I'm Tiger's main threat" said Ian Poulter.

Ian Poulter is set to infuriate his rival professionals after claiming he is the only one capable of challenging world number one Tiger Woods.

The world number 22 made his comments in the March edition of Golf World.

"The trouble is I don't rate anyone else," said the extrovert Englishman. "Don't get me wrong, I respect everyone who is a professional.

"But the problem is I haven't played to my full potential yet. And when that happens it will just be me and Tiger."

Woods has 13 majors and 85 career titles to his name, while Poulter has won seven tournaments.

The pair will both be competing at the Dubai Desert Classic, which starts on Thursday.

Poulter's comments are sure to see him ridiculed by some of his counterparts on the golf circuit.

And reports suggest his fellow professionals may all give each other a prearranged signal on the driving range in Dubai and leave just Poulter and Woods practising.

Poulter was asked for his predictions on who would win the four majors this year and he said Woods would win the Masters and that he would win the US Open.

He did not offer any names for the Open or USPGA.

WHAT A PLANK!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I like Poulter but he might want to actually show us that "potential" sometime if he's going even remotely want to be taken seriously with comments like those. The US Open? Give me a break. If Tiger is playing at 80% of his A game he'll win it wire to wire. It's the same course he just demolished the competition on, he knows Torrey Pines like the back of his hand. Did Poulter not see him draining putts with 30ft. of break? This is why I believe Tiger has a shot at the grand slam this year. The US Open will always be the hardest for him to win, this year, at that course, it will be the easiest of the 4 majors for him to win.

daveperk

Jan 23, 2008
I like Poulter but he might want to actually show us that "potential" sometime if he's going even remotely want to be taken seriously with comments like those. The US Open? Give me a break. If Tiger is playing at 80% of his A game he'll win it wire to wire. It's the same course he just demolished the competition on, he knows Torrey Pines like the back of his hand. Did Poulter not see him draining putts with 30ft. of break? This is why I believe Tiger has a shot at the grand slam this year. The US Open will always be the hardest for him to win, this year, at that course, it will be the easiest of the 4 majors for him to win.

I might be all alone here, but I kind of like the idea of mouthing off about beating Tiger.

AFter all, have any of those guys who are too sensible and respectful to talk like that ever shown any likelihood of beating him? NO.

And only one other guy has mouthed off, so the empirical evidence is too limited to say that is a proven bad strategy. :)

Poulter is just trying to get publicity for his pink clothes, and who can blame him; marketing is tough, and that publicity is free.

And what's he got to lose? He's a good, not great, player and will remain so, no matter how much the present kerfluffle might dominate the news of today.

GOlf can use some mouthing off. It's a sport. It's not like Poulter said bad things about Tiger... he just made all the REST of pro golf want to beat HIM very badly, and that's good. :)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
This is like me talking trash about Tiger. It means absolutely nothing. Poulter is B tier player, always has been, always will be. At least Rory has some game to go with his belt buckles. Poulter on the other hand is all potatoes and no meat.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't mind it at all but just find it a bit amusing. It's always guys that haven't really done squat that want to "challenge" Tiger. It's a big jump to say "me and Tiger". He should start out with maybe "me and #10 in the world". I just think a guy should at least be in the top 10 and dropping before making a statement like that and expect to even remotely be taken seriously. I'd put my $$ on Boo Weekely vs. Poulter head up any day of the week.
icon10.gif

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
correct me if i'm wrong, but all of Poulter's wins are on international tours. he doesn't have a single PGA tour win to his name.

he's not even close to being in the same league as Furyk and Mickleson. and those guys will tell you they're not in Tiger's league.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
This is like me talking trash about Tiger. It means absolutely nothing. Poulter is B tier player, always has been, always will be. At least Rory has some game to go with his belt buckles. Poulter on the other hand is all potatoes and no meat.

I disagree, I would say anyone in the top 30 in the world is an A tier player, and Poulter is currently 22nd in the OWGR. Which is ahead of people like Goosen, Weir and Ames. Though saying that I can never see him breaking into the top 10 in the world.

Jun 24, 2006
What a FOOL. I had forgotten about him..seems the only time someone says he name it's because of his clothes and not his golf scores(unless they're bad ones).

Has he even won on the PGA?

Again..FOOL.

🔥 Latest posts