• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The new Rory S - Introducing the next big threat to El Tigre...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
That's interesting, Dale...it'd be nice to hear a recording of the actual interview, but that'll never happen.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I believe that he was probably misquoted. I've been interviewed by both print and TV news people, and they always feck it up. Sometimes it may be to save time and space, but who knows, maybe some of them do it to stir up controversy?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Nah! Newspeople wouldn't do that would they? :laugh:

Sounds like Ian was giving a very good answer that got completely changed around. And by GolfWorld of all magazines. :(

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
He's still a Tosser! Maybe if he concentrated on golf instead of being a Flash Harry with his Stupid clothes he may well have fulfiled his potential (not that I think he's got any more to give) already. For me the one young Englishman who could step it up is Justin Rose he probably has the potential to be World number 2 if he can get & stay fit enough.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
He's still a Tosser! Maybe if he concentrated on golf instead of being a Flash Harry with his Stupid clothes he may well have fulfiled his potential (not that I think he's got any more to give) already. For me the one young Englishman who could step it up is Justin Rose he probably has the potential to be World number 2 if he can get & stay fit enough.

*nods head*

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I have read the said article in Golf World UK, and after reading the interview i see Mr Poulter as an inspiration more than anything, alongside Paul Lawrie for what he has achieved in the game, Poults turned pro at age 23 after working in pro shops selling mars bars and listening to members rounds being re counted, the same as Lawrie is that they both turned professional off 4 handicaps, and between them they have won about 12 events, one being a major, he has started a clothing label and has other interests on the go.

After reading the interview i totally got what Poulter was saying was that he maybe doesnt practice as much as the rest and maybe hasnt reached his full potential, he said that if he really focused he thought there would be a bigger chance of him contending but he really never inferred that he could in reality pass Tiger.

I think as usual the press has extracted what they wanted from the interview and used it in the wrong context.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Whatever the context, I think we should cut Mr Poulter a little slack. Despite his hair and trousers being a little gauche for some tastes there is no doubt that he has a big impact on getting younger people interested in the game. He has helped to throw off the stuffy image of golf and make it cool in their eyes.

Having more young players in the game is a good thing obviously and whlie it isn't all down to him, he has certainly had some influence in it. Just look at the messed up hair of the 15 year olds at your local course.....

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I just don't like him. Fair enough he's a great example of somebody who wanted something badly enough to work away at it. When he was an assistant Pro and said he wanted to be a Tour Pro people laughed at him but he proved them wrong, so respect to him for that. But for me he has over achieved if anything. You can imagine before a round Tiger & Co on the range, chipping, putting, etc, whilst Polt's has lost his hair gel and his trousers have a crease in them, so he's panicing to get his hair and outfit sorted in time (like a woman). If he just concentrated on the golf I'd have more time for him. That said he's probably made as much in sponsership deals on the Clothes as he has in earnings, so fair play to him for that as well (but I still don't like him).

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
I disagree with the title of this thread. There is only one Rory Sabbatini, and Rory is the real deal. Poulter may well have lost his mind recently to be making commetns like that, but Rory has the game to back up his boasts and is a top 10 player. Poulter isn't fit to tie Rory's shoelaces.

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
Oh cmon Ian Poulter is a world class player. I am a fan of the guy and you know what he was actually pretty nice to me the last 2 years when I followed his group during the practice round. Do I think Ian can catch TW? Well anyone can catch TW aslong as you stay clear of his "intimidation". People seem to get paired up on sunday with TW and just falter. The last guy who I think actually played pretty good with TW next to him was Wetterich at the 07 CA Championship.

🔥 Latest posts