• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The official Shot Talk World Golf League Sticky...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
The ShotTalk Virtual Tournament is starting soon!

What is it?
For people new here or those moon marrooning, it is a tournament where ShotTalk members compete against each other as a team. Look at it as a Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup event.
Teams are the USA vs ROTW (Rest Of The World). Depending on which country you live, you'll be assigned to the appropriate team.

When is it starting?

April 30.

How does it work?
You need to play an 18-hole round, but not on any day. The round that counts for the tournament has been set to every Sunday. If you can't play on Sunday, choose the day closest to Saturday. Note: Sunday is the first day of the week and furthest from Saturday.
If you only have access to a 9-hole course, you need to play that course twice, whether it be the same day or over two days. If you play more than one round on your post-day, enter the first round entered. (Rule of thumb: Enter the first round you play of the calendar week-- calendar week being Sunday, day 1.)

Scoring
A modified Stableford scoring has been set.
So you need to keep track of every eagle, birdie, par, bogeys, etc you've played on a round. You can't just input your final score
Also the site will adjust your score according to the course rating. This will help equalize the rounds from course to course. So, you need to know the course rating you've played in. Generally, that number can be found on the course scorecard, and it's between 65 to 75. If you don't know the course rating, then enter 72 as the index and the formula will spit out your actual score.

Score values:

Albatross 12 points
Eagle 8 points
Birdie 4 points
Par 2 points
Bogie 1 point
Double or worse 0 points

How do I figure my handicap?

The site automatically handicaps participants. The stableford above is used to handicap players. When you enter your first round, the # of points entered becomes your QUOTA. Your next round is compared against your quota and a score of POQ (points over quota, either positive or negative) is entered towards your team's overall POQ average. The quota is then a running average of scores entered (minimum quota of 3). An example may clarify:

Rockford35 will score 4 points as his first round ;), so a 4 is entered and his quota begins as a 4. His 2nd round is a 6, so a POQ score of 2 is entered for the ROTW team, and his quota is now a 5. His third round is a 3, so the ROTW team is assessed a POQ of -2 and his quota is now 4.3, which rounds down to 4.

So, in essence each player is playing against their playing history, so everyone has the opportunity to "beat" better players on any given day. The quota system also encourages the players to improve through the season.

(Special note from the DB admin... BD pouts and mumbles to himself and beats his kids when he has to do an excessive amount of database admin work-- like deleting rounds because members keep entering stroke scores as opposed to the stableford format. ENTER YOUR SCORE AS A STABLEFORD, PER THE ABOVE VALUES, else you may find your rounds deleted and you playing to an astronomically high quota.)


Can I play in the tourney?
Absolutely. Whether you're scratch or a hacker, the more the merrier.
Besides it's free.
To sign in, PM bdcrowe.
with desired name (for recognition's sake let's just make it your username here).
email address
desired password
Team you'll be on-- i.e. US or ROTW

Then access bd's site here ... to input your score.

Weekly play isn't mandatory, but you are asked to participate as often as possible. A week missed every once in a while is cool, but please remember that your team is counting on you to post scores. Since the team scores are an AVERAGE of points-over-quota, the more scores entered, the better for your team. No more than one a week, but preferrably one a week.

So, what about cheating?

There won't be any. Right? Since we all love this crazy game because of its integrity, and because it makes us better people, none of us will even dream of it. We will play the ball down, count correctly and type correctly. You guys rock!


Special thanks to Loop, who originally wrote this and I just tweaked and added the boring stuff...

Play well and have fun.
 

Bravo

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
5,822
15
bd:

I am not sure I understand the scheduling part. Do we have to announce in advance which day of the week we are going to play? Example, Sunday is the first day of the week, so we announce that Thursday is going to be our day but we get rained out - then what happens? Or we announce that Saturday is going to be our day and we have some sort of personal conflict and cannot play until the next day (Sunday) which is in the following week...

I think this could be problematic for some of us...We have best intentions to play on Saturday and there are weather problems or somebody gets sick etc.

What if we play on Sunday? Does that score count for the following Saturday if we played three days later on Wednesday? I guess since Wednesday is closer to Saturday then Wednesday counts.

What happens if somebody wants to play on Saturday and announces they will and then they cannot? And they have not played in the past 8 days? It's like they are a No Show...

It is the Choosing part that concerns me the most. And weirdly, one of the things I have learned from these golf boards is the Maple Leafs play staggering amounts of golf once their season begins. I see posts that indicate 100+ rounds of golf in 5 months. Good Gawd!!

So help me understand this.
 
OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #3
Bravo said:
bd:

I am not sure I understand the scheduling part. Do we have to announce in advance which day of the week we are going to play? Example, Sunday is the first day of the week, so we announce that Thursday is going to be our day but we get rained out - then what happens? Or we announce that Saturday is going to be our day and we have some sort of personal conflict and cannot play until the next day (Sunday) which is in the following week...

I think this could be problematic for some of us...We have best intentions to play on Saturday and there are weather problems or somebody gets sick etc.

What if we play on Sunday? Does that score count for the following Saturday if we played three days later on Wednesday? I guess since Wednesday is closer to Saturday then Wednesday counts.

What happens if somebody wants to play on Saturday and announces they will and then they cannot? And they have not played in the past 8 days? It's like they are a No Show...

It is the Choosing part that concerns me the most. And weirdly, one of the things I have learned from these golf boards is the Maple Leafs play staggering amounts of golf once their season begins. I see posts that indicate 100+ rounds of golf in 5 months. Good Gawd!!

So help me understand this.
You don't have to say beforehand when you will play. Just post the first round you play in the calendar-week.

We had called a May 1 start date, but Sunday will be April 30, so is everyone cool with kicking it off then?

I believe this sticky has been opeened for posting. Post all questions here.

Thanks.
 

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
12,405
8
bdcrowe said:
You don't have to say beforehand when you will play. Just post the first round you play in the calendar-week.

We had called a May 1 start date, but Sunday will be April 30, so is everyone cool with kicking it off then?

I believe this sticky has been opeened for posting. Post all questions here.

Thanks.

In the first post you say the start date is May 30. But here you say April 30.

????
 
OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #5
There must have been mispost. Start date had been May1, but April 30 is the Sunday before, so I proposed an April 30 date to start on Sunday.
 

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
6,545
4,979
OK, it's the stupid Irishman here. Sorry BD but I have never come across this scoring format before and my brain is never that good after lunch.

Let's say I shoot a gross 77 (+5) on Saturday, ie playing to my h/c. Say our slope is SSS 73 and I score 2 birdies, 9 pars and 7 bogies.

Q1. Do these scores count as gross score or net score? ie Say one of the birdies is at index 1 and as a result becomes a net eagle. Do I add in 4 points or 8 points?

Q2. If it is gross my score would be

2x4=8
9x2=18
7x1=7
--------
=33 points

Q3. So 33 is my opening score and becomes my opening quota, right? After that my next score will be relative to my Quota and be adjusted accordingly.

Sorry, I know you want to punch me right now, but I guess I am speaking for the RoW (Euros) here.
 

Pa Jayhawk

Well-Known Member
Nov 15, 2005
7,200
64
Country
United States United States
bdcrowe said:
There must have been mispost. Start date had been May1, but April 30 is the Sunday before, so I proposed an April 30 date to start on Sunday.
He meant the first post in this Sticky, it still says:
bdcrowe said:

When is it starting?

May 30.
Just may want to edit the top post.
 

Pa Jayhawk

Well-Known Member
Nov 15, 2005
7,200
64
Country
United States United States
Sorry to be the analyst, but I guess that's what all those years of doing this kind of stuff does to you.

Something that seems to stand out. Your scale seems to be based on a Par 72 course rating. So without the actual par for the course, would it not penalize you and read a par 70 course with say a 71 course rating as an easy course when in fact it is difficult? Should we adjust our entry to a 72 scale and enter this as a 73? Otherwise you would be penalized for playing anything under a par 72.

In the same sense, if I play a par 70 without a course rating, entering it as a 72 would infact benefit you, although it would not be as apparent, should we not enter the par as he default as opposed to 72.
 
OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #9
IrishGolfer said:
OK, it's the stupid Irishman here. Sorry BD but I have never come across this scoring format before and my brain is never that good after lunch.

Let's say I shoot a gross 77 (+5) on Saturday, ie playing to my h/c. Say our slope is SSS 73 and I score 2 birdies, 9 pars and 7 bogies.

Q1. Do these scores count as gross score or net score? ie Say one of the birdies is at index 1 and as a result becomes a net eagle. Do I add in 4 points or 8 points?

Q2. If it is gross my score would be

2x4=8
9x2=18
7x1=7
--------
=33 points

Q3. So 33 is my opening score and becomes my opening quota, right? After that my next score will be relative to my Quota and be adjusted accordingly.

Sorry, I know you want to punch me right now, but I guess I am speaking for the RoW (Euros) here.
No worries, IG.

Your score counts as gross (I guess). Put down your actual score. When you enter it, enter the slope (73 in this case) and the app will figure it for you. The first rounds counts only to gather your quota. All successive rounds are played against quota and the quota is a running average of rounds entered. I hope this answered the question. if not, someone more knowlegable of what the hell he speaks of chime in. ;)
 
OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #10
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
Sorry to be the analyst, but I guess that's what all those years of doing this kind of stuff does to you.

Something that seems to stand out. Your scale seems to be based on a Par 72 course rating. So without the actual par for the course, would it not penalize you and read a par 70 course with say a 71 course rating as an easy course when in fact it is difficult? Should we adjust our entry to a 72 scale and enter this as a 73? Otherwise you would be penalized for playing anything under a par 72.

In the same sense, if I play a par 70 without a course rating, entering it as a 72 would infact benefit you, although it would not be as apparent, should we not enter the par as he default as opposed to 72.
The stableford system doesn't care what par for the individual course is. You just gather points compared to par for that hole, which are tallied for total points for a round.

True that a 72 divisor for slope is unfair for a par 70 course. This is the reason that we state that any question as to the slope should just be done away with by entering 72 as the slope.

Last year, we did the slope factor to take into account for some players playing easier courses than others. My opinion, personally-- and my observations are that when you compare the small difference slope divisor makes in comparison to the rounding up or down of the quota average, slope is a virtual non-issue.

Hope this helps.
 

Highdraw34

Well-Known Member
Mar 27, 2006
300
0
Hey BD, I'd like to play. I sent an email but haven't heard anything. I'll try again.
 

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
804
0
Ok. I'm still not sure I get this.

I'm a 25 handicap, but you're saying the scoring system is gross.

How does that work? If i'm taking a double bogey at a hole, it might be a nett par, but because the scoring's done by your gross score, you wouldn't get any points??? I dunno
 

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
1,863
1
Scotty01292 said:
Ok. I'm still not sure I get this.

I'm a 25 handicap, but you're saying the scoring system is gross.

How does that work? If i'm taking a double bogey at a hole, it might be a nett par, but because the scoring's done by your gross score, you wouldn't get any points??? I dunno

Scotty, points for the team are incurred by comparing relative scores.

You don't get any points for a "net par", all scores are gross, but that doesn't mean that you are hurting your team. The relative part of the scoring is that as your scores (hopefully) improve over the year and you receive more GROSS pars (or bogies or whatever), your quota will adapt and you will help your team by improving, as opposed to actually needing to score excellent scores - but rather simply improving on your own game.
 

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Moderator
Jul 25, 2005
8,786
1,539
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Screw it, we're probably gonna lose anyway.............

We had to wait until the moosehumpers thawed out, now it's summer down here. How about giving us extra points because we're playing in 100+F heat? :D
 

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Top