• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Old Guys

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Anyone else think the commentators are selling the old guys short? They keep talking about how Norman "isn't here to win" and that Watson will play his last Open in two years. I don't think you go out and shoot a 70 in those conditions if you aren't taking it seriously. And if Rose and Westwood are still "in it", I don't know why Watson wouldn't be. Don't you have to be crazy to count out a 5-time champ, even if he is 58?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Anyone else think the commentators are selling the old guys short? They keep talking about how Norman "isn't here to win" and that Watson will play his last Open in two years. I don't think you go out and shoot a 70 in those conditions if you aren't taking it seriously. And if Rose and Westwood are still "in it", I don't know why Watson wouldn't be. Don't you have to be crazy to count out a 5-time champ, even if he is 58?
I didn't hear those comments, but yeah, it's pretty stupid to count a great player out of anything. Norman is leading the tournament as I type this. He's -1 thru 15 holes today, a day where many good players are putting up huge numbers again.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
5 Open wins says that Tom Watson is the greatest links players of all time, btw he won them on 5 different courses.... he wont win this year, but it wont be for the lack of trying - any young guy playing with him this week will have the privilege of learning from the master .......

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
THe only Achilles Heel with Watson is with the Flat Stick. He should have won 5 majors over the last 15 years but for his poor putting. If he can get that going over the next 3 days, then he will be a factor. I think going out this afternoon will end his chance of winning. It's not that he is 58, it's that he is playing in 30mph winds and rain a la Els, Michelson etc.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I'm pulling for T Watson and G Norman. Both of them look a lock to play the weekend at least. What an inspirational story for us geezers. I'm fired up about my tourney tomorrow now!

Watson is really rolling the rock right now. Just made a 10 footer for 5 pars in a row.

Irish

May 9, 2007
in fairness Norman has a bit of previous in the blowing leads department...irrespective of his age

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I think they're just being realistic. If Norman is still around on Sunday, then the tone will shift from "what a great story" to "this guy can actually win it."

But with Goosen, Weir, Mediate, Furyk, Allenby, Choi, Poulter, etc., sitting right there, it's hard to make an argument for one of the seniors.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Lets hear it for the Old Guys! :thumbs up:

My wife was watching it with me yesterday and saw Norman, "wow, he's a handsome man". So she is pulling for him. I am too, but not for that reason. But it would be great to see him pull it off. :D

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I think it's fantastic, and on a links course in these conditions, they have as good a chance to win as anyone.

OP
David Hillman

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Lets hear it for the Old Guys! :thumbs up:

My wife was watching it with me yesterday and saw Norman, "wow, he's a handsome man". So she is pulling for him. I am too, but not for that reason. But it would be great to see him pull it off. :D

If for no other reason than it would be priceless to hear someone explain why this Open win should have an asterisk next to it, when Norman's other two don't.

He must've gotten motivated after reading all those press clippings after his recent marriage, which never failed to point out that he has two Majors, and his wife has like eighty Grand Slam wins.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
This is no longer just a cute little story. I didn't see today's round but Norman must be doing SOMETHING right. I still don't see how a 53-year-old with no practice and a history of chokes can pull it off tomorrow---but if the weather stays poor, who knows.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
This is no longer just a cute little story. I didn't see today's round but Norman must be doing SOMETHING right. I still don't see how a 53-year-old with no practice and a history of chokes can pull it off tomorrow---but if the weather stays poor, who knows.

It could be dfferent for him now, this must be an unexpected bonus for him and t could alleviate the pressure a little.

I hope if he goes down he doesn't blow it down the stretch and that someone comes and wins the tournament rather than him losing it.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
wonderful stuff from Norman, awe inspiring golf of the highest standard, the only guy to really attack the course

🔥 Latest posts

Members online