• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The one club or piece of equipment you can live without?

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
I happen to go over to Golf Galaxy tonight and they had Nike night going on and all the reps from Nike were promoting the new SQ Dymo and the new ONE Vapors. My buddy that I went with ended up wining a VR Wedge and after begging him to give it to me (he doesn't play... yet but he is getting a set of clubs soon) he refused and said he is going to start playing. So I let it go and waited for the next drawing and sure enough I win, but I got a $100 gift card instead.

So that leads me to my question what is the one club or piece of equipment that you have in your bag that your glad you got and can't play or practice without?

I have all the clubs I really need but I still am using a 3wood because its my one club that I cant live without I am much more consistent with it than any driver i have hit and i can use it off the fairway decent too. I was thinking about maybe getting a driver but I dont know what do you guys think. What things are a must have?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Looking at your bag I would consider getting the RAC Chrome wedges they are selling 2 for $100. A 52º and 56º would fit your club setup nicely and I'd think they would be an improvement over the wedges in your Callaway iron set.

Aside from the Adams Watson wedges I play now the RAC wedges are my second favorite and I'd game them in a minute.

Other than that, free golf balls are always good. Maybe try some balls you normally wouldn't spend your own money on.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If you're asking which club or clubs I can't live without, it's my wedges. I 2nd the buying a set of RAC wedges with the gift certificate also.

If you're asking what club I could live without, that would be my driver. If I'd leave it in the bag, or at home, I imagine I'd shoot better scores.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Outside of the obvious being my putter, the club I likely reach for the most when I practice or play is my 52* GW. I likely use it almost as much as my putter in a round, and what it does for me is likely the reason I use my putter far less.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
According to Hogan and Snead, the 2 most important clubs in the bag: driver (or whatever club you use off the tee most) and putter.

Put the ball in the fairway with a decent length 2nd shot, and make the putt(s). Before you know it, you'll be on the tour. :D

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I really have no favorite club one that I must have. That being said if before a round you said you were going to take away one of my clubs and not let me play with it for the round I would least like you to take my driver or putter. I must have those two.

blackxpress

May 12, 2008
Looking at your bag I would consider getting the RAC Chrome wedges they are selling 2 for $100. A 52º and 56º would fit your club setup nicely and I'd think they would be an improvement over the wedges in your Callaway iron set.

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. The Callaways are nice clubs and more than adequate, including the wedges. If you really want to upgrade your wedges to something that's appreciably better than what you already have it'll cost you a good bit more than 2 for $100. Cleveland CG's, for example, go for about $110 per wedge. Unless you're a really good golfer (single digit HCP or better), I doubt if you can tell the difference between the wedges you have now and a RAC Chrome wedge. Just my $.02.

I'm in the driver and putter camp. If I was you I'd get a driver fitting and use that $100 for a downpayment on a nice big stick.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Ok so putting has more to do with practice than the club itself. Getting fit for a driver helps but I may hit a driver 6 times in a round. The club that I simply could not live without is my sand wedge. I hit this more times than I can count in a round on approach shots to greens, and around greens. It saves more strokes than any other club in the bag. I highly recommend that you spend some money getting good wedges. The callaway X-16 wedges are crap, crapola, not worth the metal used to make their heads when you are hitting from bunkers or rough around the green. The TM Racs while not as nice as a cleveland or titleist are FAR AND AWAY better than the callaway wedges you are currently using. Just my $0.02

blackxpress

May 12, 2008
The callaway X-16 wedges are crap, crapola, not worth the metal used to make their heads when you are hitting from bunkers or rough around the green. The TM Racs while not as nice as a cleveland or titleist are FAR AND AWAY better than the callaway wedges you are currently using. Just my $0.02

Seriously? I don't own any Callaway clubs so I will defer to your expertise in this matter. However, I do play every Tuesday with a guy that's a scratch golfer and he has the same Callaway set as the OP. I've seen him make some mighty nice shots with his X-16 SW. No telling how good he'd be with a set of those RAC wedges.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.