• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The one club or piece of equipment you can live without?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Does anybody use a chipper and is that a useful club to put in my bag?

A chipper won't do anything but get you laughed off the course, :laugh:

Seriously, it won't do anything you can't do with your 3 hybrid, or a 8 iron with a little practice.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd have to go with the clubs I use most. First would be putter, then sand wedge, then maybe driver but I could go driver or 3W.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
A chipper won't do anything but get you laughed off the course, :laugh:

Seriously, it won't do anything you can't do with your 3 hybrid, or a 8 iron with a little practice.

Careful Dubya, we don't wanna get into this again... ;)

The club I can't do without.

My Scotty. And yes, I am fully aware of the Scotty haters union and their arguments, but for me the thing is absolute $$$$$$$$.
I'd putt with a rock tied to the end of a stick if it made this many putts but it don't and neither has any other putter I've owned so I'll stick with this until I've worn a ball shaped groove in the face. (Which could take me a while with so many 1 putts) :laugh:

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
i would say my 60*. i do everything with it sand, chip, pitch and flop. if I'm close to the green and want it close it's a no brainier to grab the lob wedge.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
taken literally this is a trick question.

"
So that leads me to my question what is the one club or piece of equipment that you have in your bag that your glad you got and can't play or practice without?"

answer is golf ball

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Does anybody use a chipper and is that a useful club to put in my bag?
I don't see a driver and only see 13 clubs in your bag. I used to use one similar. It was actually a Clutch Iron

Clutch Golf - Clutch Iron from Overstock.com

If I had room in my bag I would still carry it and it had many other uses. The only problem is that I would always find that what I had to take out of my bag would hurt me more than what that club saved me. So if you have room, it may be a nice club to have. Only I am not sure I would get a "Chipper", but maybe something more similar to what I linked or similar to Cleveland's Niblick that have many other uses.
Cleveland Golf - NIBLICK

Realize though, that as you progress, maybe add a driver or other wedges, it may become less important and find you would rather have other clubs to meet the 14 and that you can accomplish the same with existing clubs. Although if I could still fit it in my bag of 14, I would.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
Mine would have to be my Bettinardi putter. Its the best putter Ive ever owned and I wouldnt want to be without it.

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
Like Lee Trevino (who praised his own 7 wood) I have to say my old original steelhead 7 wood. No hybrid I've tried can match it. It is my rescue wood, my par five attack club, and my bad lie recovery club (if a longer shot is needed.) It is also good for those 220+ yard par 3s and for some little chip shots that may as well be putts.

All the other clubs can be replaced, and I love my driver -- but that old 7 wood is just too useful.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I could easily live without the 60 degree

any decent player on amateur course an get a 52 high enough to stop

OP
A

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I took the advice and went out and got some new wedges. I found a deal on 2 TaylorMade Rac wedges any degree and bounce for 100 bucks. Cant beat it. The price tag on each individual club was $119 so I think I made out nicely. I went with a 56 deg and a 60 deg I already have a 50 deg approach but its an x-16 and its hard when im close to the green it is solid from about 80-100 out but when im in close I need a better wedge and I think I found them. I am excited about the 60 deg lob wedge for when I need to get it nice and high. I have been using my approach to hit those shots and not leaving my self a great putt.

I should be playing tomorrow if the weather holds up and i will let you all know how they new wedges work out. Thanks for the advice!

🔥 Latest posts