• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The one club or piece of equipment you can live without?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The one club in my bag that is irreplacable is my Cobra Baffler 4-hybrid, with the stiff Nippon NS950 shaft.

That club is $$$$$$$$

So, if you really like your Armour 3-hybrid, then get a 4-hybrid.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
The one club in my bag that is irreplacable is my Cobra Baffler 4-hybrid, with the stiff Nippon NS950 shaft.

That club is $$$$$$$$
You would probably not be surprised that club would be next on my list after the GW. A couple years ago it would have been first, although with becoming more consistent with my other clubs and the fact that I have done so through not hitting the ball as far, my addition of the 7w TEE is likely more used now although it is a simple matter of needing the extra yards and not a matter of less consistency with my 4i/R. Basically my 7w TEE is almost as accurate and fills the distance I used to get with my Baffler. Although the Baffler has far more uses for me.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
5 wood. When it absolutely must go where I am aiming, this is the club I chose.

SvenNZ

Happily Addicted
Apr 1, 2009
Wedge. Regardless of how you're hitting your driver or irons, on any given day when you're in trouble or scratching to save par I's suggest it's the wedge that most people go to. Make and model doesn't matter, if you're confident with it use it.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. The Callaways are nice clubs and more than adequate, including the wedges. If you really want to upgrade your wedges to something that's appreciably better than what you already have it'll cost you a good bit more than 2 for $100. Cleveland CG's, for example, go for about $110 per wedge. Unless you're a really good golfer (single digit HCP or better), I doubt if you can tell the difference between the wedges you have now and a RAC Chrome wedge. Just my $.02.

I'm in the driver and putter camp. If I was you I'd get a driver fitting and use that $100 for a downpayment on a nice big stick.

What the **** are you talking about? I'd take a rac over a Cleveland wedge ANY day. Clevelands are nothing special; seriously, how much technology can you fit in a wedge besides the grooves? Which are more than sharp enough on any new wedge.

The big Callaway super game improvement wedges he has are NOT playable at all. Yes, it's VERY difficult to tell the difference between a SGI and a blade...

OP, I highly recommend the rac wedges; superb wedges for a good price.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Would have to be my gap wedge, I use that thing so damn much out on the course.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
though more of a luxury than a live without item....laser rangefinder

Mr Happy

Oct 17, 2008
For me would be my putter. I have never been a long hitter and putter has saved me many times

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Excluding the putter as a possible answer, my lob wedge saves me more shots than any club in the bag through the course of the season. I could get along fine without my driver, but I wouldn't want to be without it for a meaningful round.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Seeing as how the OP put the thread title as club that I can live without, I'd say my TP Rescue. Not all that dependable for me yet, and its just an attack club that gets used maybe once or twice a round. (may be getting replaced here soon anyway)

As far as clubs i CANNOT live without.

I'd have to say my Tour Issue HiBore w/Bimatrx.

I spray all other drivers it seems, and since my 3w is really low profile, It wouldn't serve as a good driver stand-in.

OP
A

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks for all the input. I have hit many different drivers and just never found one that I can consistently hit straight so I am going to stick with my 3 wood which i can hit 200/225 yrds very accurately and consistently. As for my putter I just got this PING last year half way through the season so I want to see how I do with it. I also agree the putter isnt as important as the stroke my golf buddy has been playing for over 35 years and he has the same old putter that looks like he bought it at a garage sale but it works wonders.

I really think the putter is where you save strokes but if you can get yourself in position and not have to make the long putts, then your doing yourself a favor. So I am going to look into some new wedges. What degrees should i look into? I have a 46 deg PW 50 deg AW 54 deg SW all x-16's

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I also second the New Wedges.

Doesn't have to be TM's, or Cleveland's, or Vokey's. Should be whatever feels good in your hands and looks good to you....(Thats coming from a guy who plays a 54* Rac Chrome, and just bought a trio of Rac Satins)

Matt just recommmended the TM's because they are a club that has been held in relatively high regard by most, and they are currently going at a solid price. The best club is the one that works for you...not because it has a certain label stamped on it.

OP
A

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
Does anybody use a chipper and is that a useful club to put in my bag?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online