• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Open Championship Discussion Thread

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It's getting a bit exciting here. Lots of anticipation for the crowds that will be coming, the buzz around the town. Rumors rife that certain players will be staying in certain houses, (Tiger MIGHT be staying ~1/4 mile from me!). There is lots of chat about the course, weather, etc. I can't wait. Two of my sons will be working, one a marshall on the 1st hole and the other is working as a "host" in a marquee. My wife and I are going on the Thursday along with my youngest and one of his friends. To be honest, one day will probably be enough. As I get older I hate queueing, crowds etc. So I will watch on the TV along with everyone else.

So some chat:
  • Portrush Golf Club is exactly 4.2 miles from my house!
  • 190,000 golf fans will descend on Portrush next week. It's probably that again with people working, officials, local authorities (police, transport, ambulance etc.). It was sold out within a few days of going on sale last year, a record. It's the first time it has been in Northern Ireland since 1951.
  • So far the course has been getting lots of praise. We have had plenty of rain over the past few weeks, so it is very green and very lush. Expect the rough to be nasty. And the greens to be receptive.
  • The 18th used to be the 16th. It is a tough dog-leg with bunkers and out of bounds to catch out a poor drive. The signature hole is known as Calamity Coner, a 235 yard par 3 that is at the mercy of the wind. Players will hit anything from a 7 iron to a driver!
  • The weather forecast looks changeable, expect a bit of wind and rain, as well as sun (welcome to Ireland). I hope there is a bit of wind, to show you guys what I face week-in / week-out.
I will be your roving reporter over the coming week. Photos to follow.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
It's getting a bit exciting here. Lots of anticipation for the crowds that will be coming, the buzz around the town. Rumors rife that certain players will be staying in certain houses, (Tiger MIGHT be staying ~1/4 mile from me!). There is lots of chat about the course, weather, etc. I can't wait. Two of my sons will be working, one a marshall on the 1st hole and the other is working as a "host" in a marquee. My wife and I are going on the Thursday along with my youngest and one of his friends. To be honest, one day will probably be enough. As I get older I hate queueing, crowds etc. So I will watch on the TV along with everyone else.

So some chat:
  • 190,000 golf fans will descend on Portrush next week. It's probably that again with people working, officials, local authorities (police, transport, ambulance etc.). It was sold out within a few days of going on sale last year, a record. It's the first time it has been in Northern Ireland since 1951.
  • So far the course has been getting lots of praise. We have had plenty of rain over the past few weeks, so it is very green and very lush. Expect the rough to be nasty. And the greens to be receptive.
  • The 18th used to be the 16th. It is a tough dog-leg with bunkers and out of bounds to catch out a poor drive. The signature hole is known as Calamity Coner, a 235 yard par 3 that is at the mercy of the wind. Players will hit anything from a 7 iron to a driver!
  • The weather forecast looks changeable, expect a bit of wind and rain, as well as sun (welcome to Ireland). I hope there is a bit of wind, to show you guys what I face week-in / week-out.
Nobody says "rife" or "queueing " anymore! I love your proper English. Thanks IG. Looking forward to the play-by-play.

Last edited:
OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I put all the player's names (in alphabetical order) into a spreadsheet and ran a randomizer formula for the numbers that correspond to their row numbers. The results were pretty hilarious.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
One of my favorite tourneys to watch each year. This year, driving 10 hours on Friday. In Minnesota with relatives Saturday and Sunday and, probably, no television. Bummer.....

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I always over-analyze the challenge and check stats and blah blah blah, this time I'm throwing darts at a board for my picks. This should end well...
I usually look at past performance in majors etc. too, this time I went off the cuff with the required pick, a local, an almost guaranteed top tenner, and Ricky because he has to win one eventually, right?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I always over-analyze the challenge and check stats and blah blah blah, this time I'm throwing darts at a board for my picks. This should end well...
I just saw your picks. You are either incredibly smart or incredibly stupid...do we have an award for finishing dead last?

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I just saw your picks. You are either incredibly smart or incredibly stupid...do we have an award for finishing dead last?

I put all the player's names (in alphabetical order) into a spreadsheet and ran a randomizer formula for the numbers that correspond to their row numbers. The results were pretty hilarious.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country

So some chat:

So cool!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
My two sons were over in Portrush yesterday at the first official day of practice. My 10-year-old was autograph hunting and managed to get Brooks and DJ, as well as a bunch of others. Apparently, Tiger only gave x5 signatures!! A beautiful day of sunshine and no wind. My 17-year-old was marshaling, he had some fun with some of the players and got a few signed golf balls.

The forecast for the week goes downhill a bit, with showers forecast for competitive play. Hopefully, a bit of wind and rain will sort out the men from the boys. I'm going Thursday and thanks to a late call from UPS, I might have a hospitality ticket for Friday. Photos and lots more gossip to follow!!

I can't believe it is finally happening!!

🔥 Latest posts