• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Open Championship Discussion Thread

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Where is all this bad weather IG is always talking about. I know it's a writer's prerogative to embellish a story, but I think he may have been bull$hitting us all. It looks downright lovely out there.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Rained out here, so got to watch some of this morning's round. In Fowler's after round interview, the reporter was saying how bad weather there is supposed to be tomorrow... Sunday. Fowler said it was supposed to be rough today and turned out really nice. Told the reporter that no one knows what the weather will do so prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Golf commentators are no different than today's "news" reporters. Look for what will pique the interest of the viewers. We golf fans would love to see the pros struggle in some adverse weather. Sorta like watching NASCAR and hoping for that big wreck.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
If Lowry were to win this thing, that shot out of the tangled mat of garbage to about 6 feet for a birdie will be the shot of the tourney. It would have taken me six shots to even get outta that junk. He not only muscles it out, but knows where to hit it to get the roll he needed to the pin.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
67165300_918807731792559_4978442239429574656_o.jpg

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Wow! What a week! It's hard to put it all in words. It was an incredible experience with so much going on. The weather? It kind of threw everything at the players, from warm sunshine at the start of the week, to overcast benign conditions on Saturday afternoon, to a semi-storm on Sunday. I was really glad for that to happen; it gives you guys an idea of what I seem to get most weeks on the links!

The course? It seemed to stand the test, with players, media and spectators, all glowing with praise. It seemed a very fair but stern course. The greens probably slowed up on Sunday after the deluge, but the course took it. Play was not held up at any point.

The players? Well, they were all there. From Tiger to Rory through to players from all over the globe. All the big names, all the personalities, the razzmatazz. The players who signed autographs, to those who did not. And watching these guys hit a ball up close, it’s a different game.

We got a family pass for Thursday and I took my young lad on Friday, so we had two great days watching golf, experiencing the massive set-up, stands, galleries etc. I’ve been to a few events before but the scale of this completely blows it out of the water.

To be honest I didn’t get to see much of the course. We hung around 1st, 18th and 16th, 17th. We also went to the range and chipping greens. It was cool watching them set about their work.

Lots of cool moments including:
  • Almost getting hit on the head by Lowry’s drive on 17. The shout of Fore came and I ducked and the ball arrived in over my head to about 3ft from where I was standing. We were standing by the 18th tee so he got relief and a drop and ended up making par.
  • Getting a picture of me and the Claret Jug…some day!!
  • Sitting on beanbags at the Village drinking beer and watching the golf on a huge screen with thousands joining in with the Oohs and Aaahs
  • My sons getting their fill of autographs and freebies and pics with the players, especially on practice days.
  • Following Rory’s 2nd day charge, he played a great round to narrowly miss the cut. It was disappointing for the home support, but he bounced back admirably. He will rue a missed tap in on day 1, missing from inches!!
  • Shane winning! What a player, shooting 63 on Saturday and playing the way he did in the final round. He’s an expert on Links golf, in hindsight, I should have picked him.
The whole tournament was superbly organized from start to finish, the traffic, the spectators, the course set-up, the concession stands, the viewing galleries. Everyone was glowing with praise. Financially the R&A must be rubbing their hands with glee. I imagine it will be back to Portrush, sooner rather than later.

It was truly an awesome experience to be at the Open, lots of great memories for my family.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.