• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Perfect Course?

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
A forum member on another site posed an interesting question: Is it possible to have a course with 18 perfect holes? No weak holes. Anyone want to take a shot at this?

I'll start:

I would say Quaker Ridge Country Club in Scarsdale, N.Y. is about as close to having 18 perfect holes as I've ever seen. Bethpage Black, the venue for the 2009 U.S. Open and Sandhills, Crenshaw's design in Nebraska would be close 2nds. While I've never played it, many would argue that Pine Valley, ranked the most difficult course in the U.S. would take the top spot.
Two-time PGA Champion Paul Runyon, who played the 1936 Metropolitan Open at Quaker, said, that Quaker Ridge, “is the greatest golf course in the world.” Two-time Masters’ Champion Ben Crenshaw, recently said of Quaker Ridge, “It is so much of a treat to play. There is such a beautiful mix of holes at Quaker Ridge; it is truly a Tillinghast Gem. I am sure the membership is very proud of their course.”
The golf course continues to stand the test of time. Jack Nicklaus, when asked during the 1974 U.S. Open at Winged Foot if he thought Winged Foot was the greatest course in the world, replied, “That may be, but there is quite a golf course down the street.”

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've never payed one of them. But I'd think one of those replica courses, where every hole is replica of another famous hole would be close to perfect.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've never payed one of them. But I'd think one of those replica courses, where every hole is replica of another famous hole would be close to perfect.

Yeah I've always wanted to play one of those. Isn't there one in the Dallas area? That's only about 5 hours away might be worth it!

HOTC Guy

Golf community reviewer
Dec 21, 2008
A forum member on another site posed an interesting question: Is it possible to have a course with 18 perfect holes? No weak holes. Anyone want to take a shot at this?

I'll start:

I would say Quaker Ridge Country Club in Scarsdale, N.Y. is about as close to having 18 perfect holes as I've ever seen. Bethpage Black, the venue for the 2009 U.S. Open and Sandhills, Crenshaw's design in Nebraska would be close 2nds. While I've never played it, many would argue that Pine Valley, ranked the most difficult course in the U.S. would take the top spot.
Two-time PGA Champion Paul Runyon, who played the 1936 Metropolitan Open at Quaker, said, that Quaker Ridge, “is the greatest golf course in the world.” Two-time Masters’ Champion Ben Crenshaw, recently said of Quaker Ridge, “It is so much of a treat to play. There is such a beautiful mix of holes at Quaker Ridge; it is truly a Tillinghast Gem. I am sure the membership is very proud of their course.”
The golf course continues to stand the test of time. Jack Nicklaus, when asked during the 1974 U.S. Open at Winged Foot if he thought Winged Foot was the greatest course in the world, replied, “That may be, but there is quite a golf course down the street.”
Eliot, Great question. I'd put Pine Valley in there, and Augusta National too. The Ocean Course at Kiawah is up there as well, and both the Old Course and Crail Balcomie Links (both maybe too short to qualify from the tees I played) were close as well. I thought Shinne**** (I can't believe the censors inserted the ****) was a little too brutal in some spots to qualify. But for me, the only course where all 18 holes were a joy in almost equal measure was at Kapalua Plantation. The hole designs, the views, the uphill short holes into the wind and the very long holes downwind all made it the best experience from first hole to 18th green. If you haven't watched TV coverage, it is on in January.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States

Northern Bay has 7 or 8 replica holes, even the original holes are pretty damn good though. Hard to say I have played a course where every hole has been fantastic, even Wild Rock which is very nice, had a couple of average holes.

OP
MyBluC4

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
I have also played Plantation and agree it is pretty amazing. While I don't know if it has 18 perfect holes, I would say the views and elevations are some of the most dramatic anywhere.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The closest I've ever been to a perfect course was Golden Ocala. It was out in the woods, with nary a house or road in sight. A little rough around the edges at times, but always very playable. They had 8 replica holes, and their version of Amen Corner was nearly perfect. The other 10 holes were just as good. I think the only hole that wasn't really memorable was their replica of The Road Hole at St. Andrews. It was a boring hole (I've played the real Road Hole, and it is most definitely NOT a boring hole.) But Golden Ocala had 17 holes of near perfection IMHO.

It's multi-million dollar private now, so I'll never play it again. But that course is as close to perfect as I've ever played.

BTW, Blu. I played Old Corkscrew on the 26th, and your review was spot on. What a great golf course. I had a bad case of the pull-hooks, so my score was for shite, but I still had a really good time. Beautiful, challenging, and rewarding course. Quite a gem.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Damn Eracer, you had me all excited and about to load up my truck for a road trip. Next time start off by saying, BTW, you can't play this course but................,:laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Sorry man. Really, it sucks donkey balls that I can't play there anymore. Tell you what, let's pack up and play the course Wi was talking about - Northern Bay. Might be a good middle of the summer trip.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008

I'll start:

Great question - ill comment on the courses ive played.

Bethpage Black - i live around the corner from and have had the opportunity to play both for fun and in tournament play (insanely hard). To me, it has 17 great phenomenal out of this world hard long and fair holes, and 1 aweful hole - the 18th is terrible, 3 iron off the tee 9/pw to the green. are you kidding me?!?!? IMO the should make the 18th on the red the final hole for the open... and with that said its 3rd on my fav courses played list

Quaker Ridge has no weak holes - you have a potential winner here.

Pine Valley - ive played about a dozen rounds there, half before the renovations and half after. the changes they made bring driver into play more often - other than that, its my #1 perfect 18. its a course that the first time i played i could remember each hole, pin location, everything about the round.

never played sandhills -

Seminole CC - is my #2 course. everyhole is awesome on par with pinevalley in every way. just switch out pine trees for palm trees.

Hudson National in croton on hudson ny is right up there though i can argue its sub par driving range, and 1 short hole that isnt the best on the front side but great nevertheless.

honorable mentions -
macarthur golf club - hobe sound fl
oldfield gc - okatie, sc

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Sorry man. Really, it sucks donkey balls that I can't play there anymore. Tell you what, let's pack up and play the course Wi was talking about - Northern Bay. Might be a good middle of the summer trip.

Nothern Bay is great, but hell even for myself it's a bit of a cruise.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Nothern Bay is great, but hell even for myself it's a bit of a cruise.

True but you/we are lucky in that you/we have a number of GREAT Public courses within a hour to 1+1/2 hour drive

Northern Bay
University Ridge
Legends At Bergmont
The Oaks
Lake Arrowhead The Lakes
Lake Arrowhead The Pines
Wild Rock
Trappers Turn
Lawsonia Woodlands
Lawsonia The Links
Mascutin
Viroqua Country Club
And if you go at the proper times all can be golfed as a walk on single and golf alone for less than $60 with cart. That is golf heaven.

And there are another 15-20 lesser courses in that circle. And access to a heated driving range within an hours drive.

But living where its warm all year around draws me. I'm thinking Alabama with a Robert Trent Jones Trail card. PARADISE

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
True but you/we are lucky in that you/we have a number of GREAT Public courses within a hour to 1+1/2 hour drive

Northern Bay
University Ridge
Legends At Bergmont
The Oaks
Lake Arrowhead The Lakes
Lake Arrowhead The Pines
Wild Rock
Trappers Turn
Lawsonia Woodlands
Lawsonia The Links
Mascutin
Viroqua Country Club
And if you go at the proper times all can be golfed as a walk on single and golf alone for less than $60 with cart. That is golf heaven.

And there are another 15-20 lesser courses in that circle. And access to a heated driving range within an hours drive.

But living where its warm all year around draws me. I'm thinking Alabama with a Robert Trent Jones Trail card. PARADISE

Very very true, not so sure about Alabama though. Weather in the winter, at least the northern areas such as Tuscumbia can get pretty darn cold & they do have ice storms. Granted it's short lived & a day later they are playing golf, but it's not like living in Phoenix, although it's a hell of a lot cheaper to live & golf in Alabama.

🔥 Latest posts