• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The perfect lie.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Since I am about to assemble another set of clubs I have been stumbling around the net looking into what the latest or parts specific info is available and came across some trig calculators that can give a custom lie angle. Understand that there is deflection in a shaft downward under load that can be worth a degree or two, but the custom calculation was fun.

You need a funny number though and you need at least a yardstick to get it. That number is the vertical height in inches to the top of your wrist AT ADDRESS, NOT STANDING UP. Mine is 32". I also found my left wrist 1/2" shorter than the right and now I am wondering if my pull miss is related.

You also need the lengths of your clubs.

Go here:
Right Triangle Trig Calculator

Input the height of hands in the A box, and the length of club in the C box. It will tell you how far the heel of the club should be from under your hands and the opposite of the lie angle X. Subtract this Angle X from 90 and you will have your calculated lie angle without deflection in the various shafts you may be using.

I would say the wedges are most interesting and real world accurate, as those shafts are stiff and probably deflect little.

The putters would be interesting also.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts