• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The Plane Truth

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I just bought this book and started reading it yesterday. Has anyone here read it or have any thoughts on the concept of the one plane vs. two plane swing?

After reading the first chapter I found out that I have a two plane swing. My swing has been very inconsistent. My goal is to have a repetitive swing that works for me. I like the concept and fundamentals of the one plane swing better. I am going to work on changing my swing to the one plane.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
With some work and practice on your part you should be able to mess up your swing to the point you can't even hit your SW decently, JK have fun and good luck with that.:)

OP
sandwedge

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
With some work and practice on your part you should be able to mess up your swing to the point you can't even hit your SW decently, JK have fun and good luck with that.:)

My swing has already gotten that bad. Nothing I do now could make it any worse. If my short game wasn't so good lately I would really be in trouble.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I've read it, and I think there's something to it. The biggest criticism I've heard about it is that this is nothing new, which is probably true. But he's managed to put together a pretty good overview of the differences in the swings.

Contrary to what Hardy says in the book, I don't know that I believe there is such a thing as a pure one-plane swinger or two-plane swinger. But I think there are components of the swings that you can adapt to your own, and Hardy does a good job of discussing those ideas.

For instance, his book made me aware of my fairly flat swing plane. But I think this is caused mostly by my height (or lack thereof). But, I've worked a lot on the rotation of the left forearm Hardy discusses in the one-plane swing. This rotation seems to keep me on plane. So, while I"m not a true proponent of the system yet, I think it has merit.

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
asdf

I have changed my swing totally around the book, and have talked lots about it on the forums. I disagree that he has not said anything that has been said before, find me someone that has described the one plane swing. Don't say Ben Hogan, because if that description was more accurate, we wouldn't have all of the 2 plane instruction we have today.

Sandwedge, if you need help with your changes, let me know. I have done all of my changes on my own, and have also helped my dad a little bit. I also would recommend going to the JimHardygolf.com forums and reading as much as you can.

Good luck!

offthegrid

Jan 13, 2007
I bought the book and read it last year. Also have read Hogans 5 fundamentals of golf a thousand times. I think Hardy's book was very well done. I had eliments of both swing planes in my swing. Have been trying to become more of a one plane swinger and I think I am making progress slowly. Still can't bend over like he recommends without it feeling really awkward.

benk

Ben
Dec 4, 2006
asdf

It's going to feel awkward at first. Remeber what Hogan said in his book, the weirder your golf swing feels, the better it usually is [ or somethin along those lines ].

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Bama

Hogan had a one-plane swing,by any definition

19143250.JPG

Technically,all golfers come into the ball slightly on the onside than they did going back,Hogan was no exception,but if you regard plane as defined by the backswing,then the picture above is as good as you can get one-plane wise.As for Hardy,he writes in simpler form with some of his own views what Hogan said years before.Imo he adds value by making the swing easier to understand,not many golfers can pick up the Fundamentals and follow it all through to a great swing.Many other coaches attempt to do the same thing.Nothing wrong with that imo,they are just trying to earn a buck or two.Imo,The Plane Truth is a damn site better book than anything Leadbetter has wever written.As for the technical side,I will lose the will to live if I ever eneter another discussio on it online.I am not a Hardy fan,but respect his book and what it does for many golfers,also,I am not that qualified to criticise nor would I wish to,it seems to do what it says on the tin and thats improve more golfers than it harms.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005

Thats funny, bbecause thats what I almost did....done...:D

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I think Dave is right. I finally broke down and read Hogan's 5 Fundamentals and there are more similarities than differences between it and Hardy. Hogan's discussion of plane seems to pretty clearly describe a one-plane swing.

Benk--Didn't you post something in another thread recommending Hardy's DVD's?

🔥 Latest posts